i heard earlier this evening that the first deaths due to the polluted waters have...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dazzledbylight

Blue Crack Supplier
....have happened....

RIP :sad:

they found the kind of pathological bacteria in those people that is in the waters/or residue muck of hell right now--

that can kill people if it gets in through cuts/wounds/ ?sores? etc and if their immune system is compromised by various illnesses, living conditions etc....

Yeah, I heard that people are being told not to even touch the water. :(

How horrible.

CDC says 5 die from bacteria after Katrina

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - As many as five people have died from bacterial infections caused by the dirty water that Hurricane Katrina drove ashore last week, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said on Wednesday.

The patients, evidently evacuees, appear to have been infected with Vibrio vulnificus bacteria, a water-borne pathogen that is related to the bacteria that cause cholera and is common in water off the Gulf of Mexico.

"There was one in Texas and I think three or four in Mississippi that were confirmed by state and local health officials and reported to CDC," CDC spokesman Tom Skinner said. Many hurricane victims from Louisiana have been evacuated to Texas.

Vibrio vulnificus was one of the bacteria that health officials were expecting to find in the floodwaters left by Katrina. It is related to Vibrio cholera, which causes cholera but which is not commonly found in U.S. waters.

"It's one of a number of pathogens that are probably in the water that could cause illness," Skinner said in a telephone interview.

"What happens is the cases that we are talking about here have involved elderly people or people with compromised immune systems who come into contact with this water. It can enter the body through a cut or scratch or some kind of abrasion and if it is not treated with antibiotics it can lead to bloodstream or other kinds of infections."

I was watching CNN or MSNB Wednesday afternoon, and they showed 2 males knee deep/waist high in the water. I think they were fishing out the water or food that had been dropped. In the meantime they are in shorts and barely clad, and then one of them goes under the water. The anchor in the studio was stunned, saying not only is the water touching their skin, but getting in the mouth, eyes,....
4.gif
It makes me mad & :banghead: that these people are stubborn and won't leave. They'll probably stay and die from the poisoned waters.... :sad: :tsk: :sad:

There was much talk on the news channels this evening of the danger of contact with the stagnant contaminated water in N.O. This has a lot to do with the decision to start forcing the remaining stragglers in the city to leave.

They need to get out before the flood waters make them ill or kill them. I hope they do see reason and go. I am so hoping that they will leave.

N.O. is practically an open sewer now and it scares me to see people still walking around in that water.

Ooh, this is really bad news. Dirty water is really dangerous stuff. There's no telling how many people will get infected with this stuff.

The floodwaters are thick with sewage-related bacteria that are at least 10 times higher than acceptable safety limits. The muck contains E. coli, certain viruses and a type of cholera-like bacteria.

Also found were elevated levels of brain-harming lead, a risk if people, particularly children, were to drink the water, something residents have been told to avoid since Hurricane Katrina struck.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9242497/

It sucks how news can actually get sadder..

God speed to these people. Hopefully many of those that were exposed are receiving medical attention now.

It is worse than that.

One of the professors here spent the first 15 minutes of his symposium talking about how the flooding have caused "an analytical chemist's nightmare".

That floodwater, besides being a breeding ground for flood-related disease, is also a stew of chemical toxins. Lead, chromium, mercury, aluminum all the toxic heavy metals. PCBs, dioxins, home chemicals like bleach and battery acid, and pharmaceutical products. Pesticides and herbicides. Cyanide. The fires add another batch of toxics to the stew. This crap will coat the streets and (remaining) homes of New Orleans, and could possibly have very long-lasting health effects on everything that'll be wanting to come back into the city.

Even after the water's gone, it still won't be over.

I've seen some footage on TV of water being pumped from New Orleans, and it appears it's just going into the Gulf of Mexico or the Mississippi. They didn't really talk about it and no mention was made of the water being contaminated, it was just a brief note during an article that water was being drained from the city.

So can someone actually tell me just where the water is going? It's bad enough to have horrifically polluted water in New Orleans, but I certainly hope this does not spread to other areas.

I believe the water is being pumped back into lake Pontchartrain- or at least from one of the pumps

kellyahern said:
The floodwaters are thick with sewage-related bacteria that are at least 10 times higher than acceptable safety limits. The muck contains E. coli, certain viruses and a type of cholera-like bacteria.

Also found were elevated levels of brain-harming lead, a risk if people, particularly children, were to drink the water, something residents have been told to avoid since Hurricane Katrina struck.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9242497/

one scientist said that the water was 25,000 times above safety limits!

Back
Top Bottom