I hearby take offense to the following...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unforgettableFOXfire

I serve MacPhisto
When other people become offended over stupid trivial statements that were harmless in nature and were not intended to be vicious or offensive to anyone when they were made.

I personally get a lil pissed off when people jump on something and say theyre offended without knowing (or listening) to what the person means. I mean for fucks sake... its never up to the person speaking, its up to the person who is offended, but they choose to be offended... if someone said hey you, and i found some roundabout way of proving sexual connotation in that, i could claim they were sexual harassing me, and frankly thats just wrong, people take things way too seriously and go way overboard with things. Then, whats just as bad, is when people dont want to react to the situation... I mean they cant even have their own opinions on things because theyre too busy worrying what other people will say. They dont want to take sides, because they dont want to be "part of the problem" in the eyes of the offended, people dont wnat to be criticized.

I for one think people are full of shit and just look for ways to make themselves look better than others by taking offense to what someone said by making the accused offender look like a bad individual which in turn gets the offended publicity and looks better (by comparasin ot the person who looks worse ie the one that did the offending).

Thats my opinion, open to discussion. Thank you for your time.

------------------

Thank you! We have confirmed your identity, ~unforgettableFOXfire~ (The Fly)

I am the UberFly, 600 posts and counting!

if your talking about the thread where i was bugging you before, i was joking too.... just so you know that...

------------------
-death bear

I actually wasnt, Im simply stating something that has irked me for the greatest long while, and intended to finally free my mind... which is why im leaving it open to discussion, see if other people share my thoughts or think im full of shit and should die a horrible horrible death.

So basically, you hate everyone?

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

If you wish to call it that, hate is such an ugly word, and I dont hate everyone, theres always exceptions to the rule, it just really bugs me when people are all up in arms over something that really shouldnt be that big a deal. Human idiocy is quite irritating and yet it has to be dealt with no a frequent basis, more than it should. Its just... gah... ok, well not hate, how about I hold them distainfully in my mind. LOL.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
-Complimentary chips & salsa
-Cheese Dip
-2 Michelob Lights
-1 beef taco
-2 enchiladas
-1 pork tamale.

You're not posting from the bathroom, are you?

I think a lot of ill-feeling might be avoided if some of these things were left to sort themselves out. ie. some threads deserve to be shut down, but not everyone has enough history on Interference to know the reasons. Some posters do acquire a reputation for being offensive in their ways.

But at the same time, an awful lot of nonoffensive, but stupid, attention-seeking threads spin their merry way every day on Interference. And the general vibe seems to be 'If you don't like it, don't read it', or 'why take it so seriously, it's only the Internet' (ie. not a REAL community).

Me, I do believe this is as much a community as any. We are all people, irrespective of whatever bizarre name we might adopt.

But it would help is perhaps moderators, when they take a decision to shut down something 'offensive', might take the time to elaborate on their reasons. The 'no questions asked' approach seems to me to be fertile soil for discontent. And yeah, that includes even more shit-stirring from the small minority who really are just here to make trouble (that's a very small minority, IMO).

An example far worse than this current 'gay voice thread', would be the massive homosexuality and religion debates that raged in Free Your Mind about 18 months ago. I read that stuff intently, though not a member of Interference at the time. And it got pretty vicious at times. Probably too vicious. But at least it didn't divert off into another five or ten threads about 'why am I being gagged blah blah blah...'

------------------
"There's a wild thing in the woolshed
and it's keeping me awake at night
A devil in the closet
and a feeling I'd prefer to hide
He is religion
He won't hear me when I cry for help
He has a vision of me
but I am somebody else..."

I think the mods in general are doing a great job, but I also feel that with any great job done there's stessful moments. It's a job like any other, and everyone has their off days. Mods are not above human, and though they run the risk of closing threads or deleting them out of frustration or whatever the root causes may be, it is unfair to hold anything against them. I personally see no problem with questioning their motives, as when a thread is closed, it's like a shop is closed in a community and the people want to know why. I've done my own share of modding other forums and the job is especially difficult given the nature of forums that breed criticism, debate, and arguing. I know how hard it is to keep a level head, I know how hard it is to bite the bullet.

Compared with how this forum was run a few months ago, I have to give big ups to the mods who handle it now. What happened today was, imo (granted I've been lurking for a long time now) an exception to the norm. I think it's good to talk these things out and get them in the open. That way we know where everyone from the mods to the boarders, stand.

I've been here in the past under a different name. I never racked up a huge post count, and quite frankly I wasn't outspoken enough to be remembered. I spent a LOT of time in this forum reading all those debates that turned into mean spirited nastiness. Thankfully, that "nasty" person who incited so much anger was banned. But how long did that take? I felt the mods were sitting on their hands, and given my newbie status at the time and given everyone being "tight" with the mods, I didn't feel at ease speaking my mind.

To be honest, I washed my hands of not only this forum, but of all of interference. It is not my intention to dig up past dirt, but this is something I've been wanting to get off my chest for months and months. The straws that broke my back were a couple of nasty threads in FYM: one which had to do with homosexuality, the other with child rearing. I will not name names because I know that person had a lot of allies, but that person was modding every forum including FYM. That person became actively involved in above mentioned threads. This person was on a powertrip with threats borderlining personal contempt, spewing complete and utter nonsense about the subject matter at hand, had absolutely nothing nice to say about anyone or anything, refused to be sympathetic or at least tolerant of another person's viewpoint, and was constantly contradicting oneself. And when that person was criticized (by me) I was told in so many words that it "was your problem, not mine. If you don't like it then leave." Safe to say, I left because of this one person. How could I feel welcome in a community like this if my thoughts along with the thoughts of others, were constantly being lashed at by a mod who had taken the initiative to be completely irrational with the subject matter at hand, as well as with other board members? Why should I or anyone else feel the need to walk on egg shells in their community?

People say things like "this is the internet, who cares, it's not real, get over yourself, it's not real life." I beg to differ. There are people and feelings behind every monitor, and most people here put their all into their posts. Call me an escapist, but the internet is where I go if I want to shake off a bad day I had in RL. The internet is where I want to go when I want to kill time, and it's where I want to go if I want to talk. It's also where I want to go to meet other people with like interests. It's where I want to go to feel a part of something, a part of a community being glued together by something we all share and enjoy.

The best way to settle things when voices get angry, and comments get pithy, and Bill Maher is Tied Naked to a Flag Pole pelted with egg yolks.... The solution... It's easy...

Just Feed Everyone a nice Fat and Warm Danza Slap!

Enjoy

Lemonite Unplugged
~Promoting a Healthier and Alcohol Infested Forum

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 01-12-2002).]

My intent was not to bring up past threads, but since they were only mentioned in passing, I will leave that be as the great majority of what i have read is worth thinking about. I have my own thoughts about the recent happenings, however I do not wish this thread to turn into an extention of the last one, the powers that be, whether wrong or right, closed the last one and will close this one too if it comes down to that.

Also, thanks Speedracer and Lemonite for that lovely input which had nothing to do with anything
biggrin.gif

Well... actually Lemonite does have a point about slapping people... but thats besides the point.

Now then, anyone else or am I gunna get stuck with a whole 12 posts, 4 or 5 of which dont really mean anything? lol

Originally posted by U2Bama:
no

further proof bama is insane...
another point: he insists on calling everyone by their full handle, never shortening it. (at least i've never seen him do it.)

------------------
when you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.
ME!

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
further proof bama is insane...
another point: he insists on calling everyone by their full handle, never shortening it. (at least i've never seen him do it.)

I think maybe he was replying to an earlier post asking if he was writing from his bathroom. Either that or he was just expressing a general sentiment.

------------------
"There's a wild thing in the woolshed
and it's keeping me awake at night
A devil in the closet
and a feeling I'd prefer to hide
He is religion
He won't hear me when I cry for help
He has a vision of me
but I am somebody else..."

no no no no lol sorry i didn't word that right...i quoted the wrong message, sorry. i meant to quote that one where he was talking about the food.

------------------
when you stop taking chances, you'll stay where you sit. you won't live any longer, but it'll feel like it.
ME!

Foxfire, I totally agree.
I also think on the net, because there is no tone to go along with what is essentially conversational talk, there will always be misunderstanding. For some reason people are quick to jump to conclusions. Not sure why myself, but yes I do think you are correct.

"I think the mods in general are doing a great job, but I also feel that with any great job done there's stessful moments".

I think having mods in a forum called 'FREE YOUR MIND' is pretty much like saying "Free your mind.... but don't".

Ant.

Free Your Mind
This is an off-topic forum. Discuss politics, spirituality, religion, world events.

Just because the title of the forum is called "Free Your Mind" it does not mean "Say Whatever The Hell You Want."

------------------
It's cold in the ground
But there's peace in the sound
Of the white and the black
Spilling over

Sicy's Website

Sicy's FTP

something similar is happening with something else i frequent, although it's an e-mail group.
come on, guys, without moderators, there would be utter mayhem here. with everything in life, we need to have someone in authority to be able to tell others when they're out of line, and just to handle things.
i think the moderators are doing a great job. remember, they're only human and just like you and i, can take offense to things and let their emotions run high. i might even go so far as to say they're doing better than a great job, namely sicy and salome, who have been taking more than their share of bashing from people in various threads. also, like someone else said (i can't remember who) elvis is spending his hard earned money to let us use this for free. you got beef? start paying for the service, and then you can have the right to complain.
i say be thankful they have a forum where you can offer suggestions and complaints, a lot of people would say "this is how it's going to be. if you don't like it, tough."

------------------
you told me once a second chance was not worth waiting for, a million chances later you don't know how right you were...
ME!

Great post Khanada!

------------------
Look what you did, you little JERK!

Kevin! You're such a disease!

Actually, I needed to say what i did, but it wasnt directly a stem off from the gay voice thread. I was talking to sula re that other thread, and while it bothered me people were going overboard with it, I believe you were definitely right to close it, whether people like your decision or not, its your job, and people have no right to criticize you for it if they feel youre wrong.

I want people to realise that they react to situations way to readily, and care more about what other people will say about them or their thoughts before they even consider being an individual and stating what they feel. In all honesty, I thought that last thread was simply someone looking to cause trouble, you cant talk about sexuality in ambigious terms using bits of stereotype and expect people to credit your intelligence, it seemed more like it was just to cause trouble, but then again thats simply my opinion. I by no means wished this to be a thread pertaining to the last thread, and if you feel that it is, I implore you to please close this one immediately. We do, however, have a lot of quality ideas being brought up here, such as keiran's, and adams mistress'. TheU2's thread was perhaps in poor taste, perhaps meant to throw shit into the fan and see who he could hit with it... I dont know, for a full explanation of that, Im not the one to talk to, I only breifly read over the first few and last few posts of that thread...

Sicy, I appologize if this was too convieniently timed for its own good, perhaps I should have waited, or posted sooner... In either term, do with this as you will.

If you want a nature vs. nurture thread people, I can give you that too, where you can mull over your gay voices in your heads and whatnot... But This isnt a matter of free speech, its just a matter of statements, who takes offense to what, and whether it is justified. Perhaps I was wrong to post this, not that I particularly care, I likely would ahve done so anyway... But, basically... Its my philosophy that people intentionally take offense to things in order to gain power and status over others, so far we have all been in agreement. Anyone else?

Note: there is to be no further talk of the gay voice thread, or revival of old discussions, if people feel its getting out of hand, Ill simply ask the thread to be closed, or perhasp a mod will do it before I even ask... As fun as arguing is, there is a line sofaras serious issues go, and that is not a line I wish to cross, from harmless discussion to bitter vicous fighting. Lets keep it clean so to speak, ok? or are we finsihed with this topic?

(ps, sorry for the jumbled ideas, Im sick, and Im doing homework... lol)

thanks everyone! i was hoping no one would take offense to it...if anyone did, i certainly wasn't mentioning anyone in particular.
biggrin.gif

------------------
you told me once a second chance was not worth waiting for, a million chances later you don't know how right you were...
ME!

Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes:
no no no no lol sorry i didn't word that right...i quoted the wrong message, sorry. i meant to quote that one where he was talking about the food.

I posted what I had eaten for dinner on Friday night in order to avoid anger and vitriol in the forum, and get people thinking about food instead. It didn't work, really, although speedracer took it to the next step (after consumption).

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 01-13-2002).]

You Know Sicy, FOxfire, Gonz, and with a due respect and countenance Anthony, and (Insert FYM (yes i did abbreviate.. Don't get me started on LOL'ers) poster's name here, I find myself wondering teh exact same thing sometimes, I mean, just earlier today I finished up my Columbia House DVD club membership by buying two of the cheapest (19.95) DVD's I could buy, 10th Kingdom and Batman Beyond: The Movie, Now, there's nothing wrong with the Batman movie, but My big big crisis comes from me actually buying a HallMark Television TV MOVIE.. ????!?!?!

I mean, What the hell is going on here, It's like I'm just buying it cuz it's seven hours, and Seriously, I'm a big fan of Larroquette, but I'd be more inclined to watch all seven hours at once if the movie centered around Sir Michael Caine as a Homophobic Dancing Pan Handler, What's going on here?.. At least he's not ballet dancing ... AAAAhhhh... Free My Mind..

Hah, what a dork I am (No need to write back and Quote this little statement and say, 'Yes You Are', That is just the epitome <spelled right?>, of queer, and I will have to send the back of my hand to your computer so you can slap your face against your monitor), anyways, I'll just cheese the sh#t up a little more by saying,

"OMG OMG OMG, Bono was looking soooooo Hot today in teh same pants he's worn for the past two years, HE actually smiled at me, not the two thousand people right behind me in his eye line, but I KNOW he smiled at me.. or maybe he was pulling the ol' stare at the eyebrow trick to fool me... little bastard"....

L. Unplugged

~Go U2 & Blind Boys of Alabama at the Grammies

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 01-13-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom