I have no clue why people defend the Reagan Administration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
diamond said:
The American Military was shunned thru-out the world.
American Servicemen were dispised during this time.

American servicemen in many parts of the world are still hated. Their presence is often cited by Osama bin Laden as a violation of the sanctity of the holy land. In addition, American soldiers still take plenty of flak in places like Korea and Japan. Incidents involving American servicemen committing crimes such as robbery and assault were not uncommon throughout much of the 80s.

Interst rates were 16-19 percent to buy a home.

For all the talk about interest rates, it might be interesting to note that they had fallen from an "obscene" 14.2% in November 1980 to a much lower 14.1% by October 1984.

Foxxern said:

In addition, American soldiers still take plenty of flak in places like Korea and Japan. Incidents involving American servicemen committing crimes such as robbery and assault were not uncommon throughout much of the 80s.

I am sure you will provide the stats to back up this statement. Stats that show the crimes commmitted by US Soldiers in these areas were above the norm for the countries own population. You wouldn't just make a blanket statement about American Soldiers.

Dreadsox said:

I am sure you will provide the stats to back up this statement. Stats that show the crimes commmitted by US Soldiers in these areas were above the norm for the countries own population. You wouldn't just make a blanket statement about American Soldiers.

Foxxren-
Listen the US Military were laughed at loudly during the Carters years.
You werent born yet:)
You werent there.

I dont entirely disapprove of Clinton.
I have said nice things about him, in my posts before.
I suspect you have been raised in a Democratic home.
Thats ok:)
You couldnt have even voted for Clinton you were only like 15-16 in 1996.
Settle down;)

DB9
:dance:

diamond said:
Sting
Bama
Arun-
Thank you all for your contributons to this thread.

I think its easy to b an arm-chair quater-back, re issuses decades later..We only are privy to a sliver of info at the time it is actually occuring:yes:.a sliver:yes:
This is a mistake of some partisan-folk..

Peace
-diamond-:dance: :cool:

the government is accountable to me...that is the spirit of this country..if onlya sliver of info is released..then it's an imperfection on american democracy.

So if you want to take that stance it's fine...just remember...that stance has further implications than the defense of just one presidency. You can't claim that america lives up to it's creed and back that statement at teh same time...so diamond..which is it???

Arun V said:

the government is accountable to me...that is the spirit of this country..if onlya sliver of info is released..then it's an imperfection on american democracy.

So if you want to take that stance it's fine...just remember...that stance has further implications than the defense of just one presidency. You can't claim that america lives up to it's creed and back that statement at teh same time...so diamond..which is it???
Arun-
Heres the plan-
You get elected into The Senate..get appointed to a high level top secret Arms Services Committe type job-
and
run the shit by me-and I will tell you what the country's next move will be ok?
or
Trust the elected officials in this Democratic-Republic that are elected to do the right thing for the USA and the rest of the world the best they can at the time..ok?:)

DB9
:)

diamond said:

Arun-
Heres the plan-
You get elected into The Senate..get appointed to a high level top secret Arms Services Committe type job-
and
run the shit by me-and I will tell you what the country's next move will be ok?
or
Trust the elected officials in this Democratic-Republic that are elected to do the right thing for the USA and the rest of the world the best they can at the time..ok?:)

DB9
:)

that's all well and fine...but there's a difference between being an armchair quarterback..and wanting the government to be accountable for it's actions....don't confuse teh two..it's apples and oranges...although...the possibility of a orpple has intrigues me for sometime

Arun V said:

May I steal this Idea to start a thread?

diamond said:

Foxxren-
Listen the US Military were laughed at loudly during the Carters years.
You werent born yet:)
You werent there.

I dont entirely disapprove of Clinton.
I have said nice things about him, in my posts before.
I suspect you have been raised in a Democratic home.
Thats ok:)
You couldnt have even voted for Clinton you were only like 15-16 in 1996.
Settle down;)

Oh sorry, you wanted me to maybe ask every Asian person who lives in a country where US servicemen are stationed? Well I really can't do that. I can however, ask the people I know who have recently lived in places like Japan and Korea for their general sentiment, which is that American servicemen are still HATED wherever they are. They still don't want us there. They're no longer being simply laughed at, they are being attacked through many means and by many people (I'll pull up some stats when I have time--tell your kids not to study engineering if they want any of that ;)). Sorry that I wasn't technically alive back then, but I don't think that has any bearing on what I know about today.

Yes I was raised by parents who have voted almost exclusively for the Democratic party. I, however, do not feel that I am simply blindly following them. I have studied the policies of both parties and I have chosen to objectively align myself with the one whose views I feel most represent mine. Is that any different from what you're doing? Sure I find things to praise about the Republican party, and things to criticize about the Democratic party. But I am much more likely to find myself agreeing with the Democrats.

And I'm pretty sure I never said I voted for Clinton. Of course that is only because, yes, I was only 15 during the elections of 1996. If I seem all riled up, well just blame the general lack of sleep. ;)

Dreadsox said:

Dreadsox, I never said that "the crimes commmitted by US Soldiers in these areas were above the norm for the countries own population", so please don't assume that I did. In fact, the crime rate of American servicemen is lower than that of the general population in Japan. However, it is sad that any sorts of violent crimes are being committed at all by soldiers who are supposed to be defending people over there. They are well taken care of, and should have virtually no reason to act out in violent ways. I understand that they are not perfect.

The stats, however, have nothing to with the general consensus, which is still greatly negative towards American servicemen. Anytime a soldier commits a violent crime, it tends to be a top news story over there, which lends to the idea that American servicemen are not to be trusted. I'm sorry that I don't have access to polls of the general population in those countries, but I do have the opinions of quite a few people here, including Americans who lived in Japan. The point of my post was to say that while American soldiers were not well-received during the Carter administration, very little has changed between then and now. I have nothing but respect for our soldiers who go abroad to protect other countries.

Foxxern said:

Dreadsox, I never said that "the crimes commmitted by US Soldiers in these areas were above the norm for the countries own population", so please don't assume that I did. In fact, the crime rate of American servicemen is lower than that of the general population in Japan.

No and I never said you said that. This what you said

Foxxern said:
In addition, American soldiers still take plenty of flak in places like Korea and Japan. Incidents involving American servicemen committing crimes such as robbery and assault were not uncommon throughout much of the 80s.

You said it was "not uncommon". I am looking for some kind of documentation of this. If it was "common" I am curious as to how bad it really was that people despise our servicemen and women because of this.

Foxxern said:
However, it is sad that any sorts of violent crimes are being committed at all by soldiers who are supposed to be defending people over there. They are well taken care of, and should have virtually no reason to act out in violent ways. I understand that they are not perfect.

Well, having spent 17 weeks of training at beautiful Ft.McLellan, AL attentending Military Police School, I can say that the Military does take care of its criminals. Levenworth is a beautiful place I hear.

Foxxern said:
The stats, however, have nothing to with the general consensus, which is still greatly negative towards American servicemen.

Stats have nothing to do with general concensus? This I do not understand. Why are there polls constantly taken on issues if stats have nothing to do with it?

Originally posted by Foxxern The point of my post was to say that while American soldiers were not well-received during the Carter administration, very little has changed between then and now. I have nothing but respect for our soldiers who go abroad to protect other countries.

Diamond was referring to the fact that in the 70's our soldiers were spit on, hated, and disgraced by our own civilian population after Vietnam. It lasted for years. You by your statments attempted to say that during the Reagan years (80's) that it was "common" for US Soldiers to be committing crimes in other countries. I asked for figures about how "common" the crimes were and still have seen none. So we have no figures on the crime rate of the servicemen and no information on how hated they are in the world.

Now without attempting to put words into Diamonds mouth, the United States Military during the Reagan years and the Bush years had once again, re-established its "honor" at least here at home.

Peace to all.

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:

beautiful Ft.McLellan, AL a

I have never seen it described as "beautiful," although perhaps its beauty is why they are converting part of the closed base (Fort McLellan) into a golf course. All that is left there now is the Anniston Army Depot, which is being converted into a chemical weapons incincerator. Why isn't Saddam incincerating his chemical weapons, I wonder?

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Alabama.

~U2Alabama

Foxxren-
Yes US servicemen are dispised in several parts in the world.. however, I dont think Japan.
My main pt. is that during the Carter yrs US Military were even dispised here in the USA..
But you wouldnt know u were born yet ya lil rascal:D

DB9

U2Bama said:

I have never seen it described as "beautiful," although perhaps its beauty is why they are converting part of the closed base (Fort McLellan) into a golf course. All that is left there now is the Anniston Army Depot, which is being converted into a chemical weapons incincerator. Why isn't Saddam incincerating his chemical weapons, I wonder?

I hope you enjoyed your stay in Alabama.

~U2Alabama

Bama,

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. The morning jogs, the rolling hills.....The pleasant wake-up calls.

I had a pleasant week in Mobile, providing port security during the tail end of Desert Storm. Although, the hotel was nice, Ft.McLellan was so much more like home.

HEHEHEH

Last edited:
diamond said:
Foxxren-
Yes US servicemen are dispised in several parts in the world.. however, I dont think Japan.
My main pt. is that during the Carter yrs US Military were even dispised here in the USA..
But you wouldnt know u were born yet ya lil rascal:D

DB9

:yes:

Back
Top Bottom