I have just lost a ton of respect for Rush....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Angell

The Fly
Did anyone catch his show today? He just went off on Bono (and U2! Like they have anything to do with the whole debt relief thing) and showed his ass. I used to think of him as fairly intelligent, clever, etc, and trust his opinion of people in the news. But today when I heard his "side" of Bono, and saw how little he actually knew about the subject on which he was speaking, I was appalled! It makes me wonder exactly how much he really knows about anything else he speaks on with such authority. I sent him a rather strongly worded note (email) because I was so furious. (He probably won't read it, but it made me feel better to vent
smile.gif
). So anyway...back to the origin...did anyone else hear what he said? What did you think?

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Rush is a joke, he's never done a fucking thing for anyone or anything but himself. His days are numbered, Bill O'Reilly will bury him when it's all said and done.

What did he say? Last year I heard Rush call Bono an "MTV Has-Been", which I thought was laughable. I think Rush just sees him as a 'bleeding-heart liberal', when Rush should really respect B-man for being such a fine example of capitalism over the years (even though Bono is pretty liberal)!!

I just think about how all of those career-politicians expected Bono to be just a "symbol" to the cause of debt relief, without really contributing any cerebral advantage. It sounds like he blew their minds & humbled them. As my pharmacy tech said today, "Bono has got a real 'set' on him." haha

Well, he said the "normal" criticisms of Bono that everyone else without a clue says, but today was also the second time (that I know of) that he has mentioned something about Bono's "body odor". WTF? Has Limbaugh stooped so low as to start gossiping about people? I would think he'd be above that sort of thing, especially with as proud as he is of his "intellect"...such remarks do not become the intelligent, I think. (I told him all this mumbo-jumbo in my rant) What really ticked me off though, was his rant about "what a kick U2 must get out of this". He went on to describe them as a ragged bunch of Irishmen (at least he got that part right) who probably got a six pack and sat in their trashed hotel room and had a good laugh over what a scam they've pulled on everybody. That was the proverbial "straw" for me. I mean, when Bono puts himself in such a ridiculous position (as he describes it), he's bound to get criticism, and ignorance is everywhere, even among talkshow hosts supposedly "in the know". But to bring the rest of the band into it, and be so rude in the description, and to insinuate things about them that are not remotely true (the trashed hotel room comment) infuriated me. If you don't know whereof you speak, shut the hell up. I listen to Neal Boortz and (segments of) Michael Savage--whom I generally cannot stand--who are two rather abrasive hosts, and at least they have had the intelligence to admit that they don't know much about him and limit their negativity in the matter. I suppose I just expected more from Limbaugh and am very disappointed in him.
His last caller today, he told the guy he wanted to get his number so he could call him on Monday (they were out of time) and "set him straight about Bono". In my email, I gave him my number so he could call me if he wanted the real deal.
smile.gif
I'm kinda hoping he won't read my email after all now (I'm such a big chicken!) Okay...speaking of shutting up...I'm done

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

I'm also going to say that to a large majority of the world, Bono is viewed as a man having a few screws loose. Us here in Interference salivate ourselves over his every word, and know the ins and outs of his arguments/stances more than probably anyone else in the world..

I found a few quotes on it.. Here are probably the statements in Question:

"Maybe I'm not sufficiently informed on Bono. Is Bono a world-recognized leader in the anti-poverty effort? I can't help but think that it's all PR."

"I think Bono and this mangy gang of his called U2, at the end of every day, they get in their hotel rooms, and they open a six-pack of beer and they say to each other 'Can you believe the scam we are running on these people of the world?'"

How many times have we made such comments about Creed.

"I have to think that this is one of the biggest practical jokes, because the leaders of the world just salivate over being around celebrities and pop stars."

In all due credit, he stated that he doesn't know the most about the dude.. but in this Forum it seems that whenever someone drops a shit on Bono for his Political Ideals.. Everyone lambasts the Accuser as being ignorant, and 'How Dare they knock Bono'.

The comments are just 'quotable quotes' and editorial comments, I think us U2 fans get up in arms any time Bono is knocked as 'Oh he's just a Rock Star' or what not, because back in the day He'd go overboard in his speeches and just go on and on as a Rambling Lunatic.. and no one took him seriously.. It's only in the last few years that he's really REALLY gotten down to serious business.. Hardly enough time for him to 'TrulY' be taken seriously in the Political Arena.. Sadly.. this is the Truth. What was that term that was the 'Word' of the moment with Bush a while back.. 'Gravitas'?..

Just providing an opposite position.

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-15-2002).]

alright, I take it back, based on what Lemonite has posted, I don't have that big a problem with it, even though he's dead wrong about Bono's intentions, as Bono has proven time and time again, but I can except that some people still don't take him seriously, that's alright, he's no John Lennon here, Bono is actually doing something to try and make a difference

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 03-15-2002).]

Originally posted by Lemonite:
In all due credit, he stated that he doesn't know the most about the dude.. but in this Forum it seems that whenever someone drops a shit on Bono for his Political Ideals.. Everyone lambasts the Accuser as being ignorant, and 'How Dare they knock Bono'.

The comments are just 'quotable quotes' and editorial comments, I think us U2 fans get up in arms any time Bono is knocked as 'Oh he's just a Rock Star' or what not, because back in the day He'd go overboard in his speeches and just go on and on as a Rambling Lunatic.. and no one took him seriously.. It's only in the last few years that he's really REALLY gotten down to serious business.. Hardly enough time for him to 'TrulY' be taken seriously in the Political Arena..

My disappointment was that he admits he doesn't know much, but continues to talk badly about him anyway! As for Bono's previous ramblings, that was before my (U2) time, so I can't relate, but weren't said previous ramblings directed at an audience there to be entertained, and not world leaders? Anyone who has gained serious audience with world leaders for any issue, as Bono has, deserves more respect than Limbaugh has shown him. I understand that he will be the object of criticism, and I can deal with that, but Rush went too far I thought, and it just made me wonder how far he goes on things I don't know as much about, ya know? I guess that was my main point....he lost all credibility points by showing ignorance in a big way on something I actually know about.

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Originally posted by Angell:

My disappointment was that he admits he doesn't know much, but continues to talk badly about him anyway!

Good Points, I'm not saying Rush was in the right.. It's just that there needed to be a balanced opinion.. Certain views tend to get bumrushed in this forum.. Anyways, Yah I'll try and listen to it in the archives tomorrow or something. I would be hesitant to say that Bono's political speeches during concerts or what not were just for entertainment.. they were for nothing of that sort.. It was just a platform for him to spout his view.. and a very Prominent platform at that.

Bono also gains his initial audience due to his celebrity.. Which is very effective.. But at the same time Rush is very informed on many issues.. this however not being one 'On our Level At Least'. I think a fair amount of any 'Bono Bashing' comes as he's an easy target.. and remember that the issues 'raised' during a concert are those of teh Band as well. .the BTBS issue for example.. So, it's not a stretch to include the Band in such criticisms..

Anyways, I'm not with Rush on this one (And maybe this is just because I love U2 soo Much)... Good thing to bring up.. It's just hard for us to sometimes look at Bono as he really is looked at in the world by many people cuz we love the band so much, and even when us fans may disagree extremely with Bono and the Band's beliefs we're more inclined to be gentile about it.. And not blow them off as just another 'Rock' Band.

And just another thing to take into account.. Bono entering the political arena.. He should be held to the same standards that all other politicians are held to... In fact, If we're following the Example of Judge Pickering.. He should never have any credibility whatsoever if he's held to the radical statements he's made in the past (I'll let someone else dig those up if necessary) But in Bono's case it's 'Oh He's a Rock Star.. They Say Those Things'.. *SigH*.. People change.. People grow up.. It's a shame our current media infested frenzy doesn't allow for that.....

L.Unplugged

Rush is a complete moron. If he epitomizes conservatism, with his "I know everything, but really talking out of my ass" attitude, then I really feel sorry for conservatives. They really could find a better poster boy.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time

"I think Bono and this mangy gang of his called U2, at the end of every day, they get in their hotel rooms, and they open a six-pack of beer and they say to each other 'Can you believe the scam we are running on these people of the world?'"

How many times have we made such comments about Creed.
the main difference being that (well maybe except for creed fans) no one cares what we say about Creed

if you are figured in the media frequently it would be wise to at least know a bit more about the subject you're taling about, instead of just blabbing away to fill a few more minutes of media time

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Ahh, the dilemmas faced by conservative U2 fans...Rush Limbaugh *gasp* doesn't like Bono...and he was *shock* talking out of his ass about a subject and man he doesn't know anything about.

You have no idea how hilarious this seems coming from a liberals perspective.

MAP

Originally posted by Matthew_Page2000:
Ahh, the dilemmas faced by conservative U2 fans...Rush Limbaugh *gasp* doesn't like Bono...and he was *shock* talking out of his ass about a subject and man he doesn't know anything about.
You have no idea how hilarious this seems coming from a liberals perspective.
MAP
No dilemma here. We conservatives realize that we're not going to agree on everything. If Rush doesn't hold the same opinion of Bono as I do, so be it. He doesn't have to. No skin off my back. Heck, I've got friends who probably feel the same way about Bono as Ruch does.

Originally posted by 80sU2isBest:
No dilemma here. We conservatives realize that we're not going to agree on everything. If Rush doesn't hold the same opinion of Bono as I do, so be it. He doesn't have to. No skin off my back. Heck, I've got friends who probably feel the same way about Bono as Ruch does.

Agreed.. I don't know a single person who says 'Rush' is always right regardless of what he is talking about. Buut.... I would say that the comments Rush made about Bono and the Band echo the majority of popular opinion from people in regards to their politics and statements on such issues.

In fact, At the Notre Dame concert, when Bono was giving his 9 minute speech about poverty and what not before ONE, a whole group of people behind me were yelling things to the effect of 'YOU ASSHOLE'.. 'I WANT MY MONEY BACK'.. So, just relating to ya'll a little story about how we 'obsessed' U2 fans for the most part aren't able to step back and look at Bono the way the rest of the country does.

One who Cheered Mr. Heston's Credo at the Concert,

L.Unplugged

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
(Remember when I called Michael Moore an idiot? Remember the flack I received for that? Melon just called Rush "a complete moron". Where's the outrage here?)

Ya'Know.. This was the first thing I thought of after I read the 'Name Calling' Posts on this Thread.. I was awaiting your arrival on that one.. Hahaha..

Rush himself was congratulating a liberal caller who called his show last week on the fact that he didn't call names... The reason I find this funny is because Rush has said himself that it takes the average liberal '30 Seconds' to Launch into Name Calling Coniptions against him.

Here's the Bit if anyone's interested...

"On Wednesday, I took a call from a self-described California liberal named Bob. He was a great guy, and as he went to great pains to explain, he never once called me names, which set him apart from 99% of the liberals who call the program. I mean, I put liberals and others who disagree with me at the front of the caller rotation. So why waste this big showbiz break with name calling? If we conservatives are so easy to defeat, then challenge on the issues."

L.Unplugged

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 03-16-2002).]

haha, this is too funny...It took me about 4 minutes to figure out that "Rush" isn't the band Rush!!!!!!!

Sorry, but that's the assumption when a Canadian sees the thread title....I had been wondering what that band had been up to so was surprised to discover Geddy, Neil and co. had started a talk show....

Oh nevermind me....I'm hungover from Jagermesiter shit...

I would be hesitant to say that Bono's political speeches during concerts or what not were just for entertainment.. they were for nothing of that sort.. It was just a platform for him to spout his view.. and a very Prominent platform at that.

I didn't mean for it to be taken that his speeches were for entertainment, just that they were not given in a "serious" setting, such as his recent political views have been. He previously vented in front of people who might take it upon themselves to do something, whereas recently he has spoken to those who should take it on themselves to do something, ya know?

As for conservative fans having a fit that Rush doesn't like Bono....I really don't care if he does or not, as long as his opinion is informed, which at present, its not.

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

haha, this is too funny...It took me about 4 minutes to figure out that "Rush" isn't the band Rush!!!!!!!

Sorry, but that's the assumption when a Canadian sees the thread title....I had been wondering what that band had been up to so was surprised to discover Geddy, Neil and co. had started a talk show....

Oh nevermind me....I'm hungover from Jagermesiter shit...
LOL, no wonder your head is spinning
biggrin.gif

Ummmm, I consider myself a conservative although I am liberal at times.

I listen to Rush and agree with him maybe 50% of the time. Listening to Rush is good balance, like watching Bill Maher. Even though he pisses me off a lot, I enjoy PI and love Maher's sense of humor.

I would love to throw a plate of rotten food in his face after hearing some of the things he said about Bono. Of course, I will look forward to hearing the "other side" monday. Maybe somebody can school Rush on Bono. Maybe Bono himself should call 'el Rushbo'
wink.gif

I'll tell you a GOOD radio guy who is conservative yet not as harsh as Rush and pretty reasonable: Michael Reagan, adopted son of Ronald Reagan. He has a great radio show that comes on in the evenings, You all should check him out.

Originally posted by tiny dancer:
I'm sorry but I don't have much respect for someone who puts poor and sick people down.
Just wondering, you are reffering to Rush?

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Rush is a joke, he's never done a fucking thing for anyone or anything but himself. His days are numbered, Bill O'Reilly will bury him when it's all said and done.

Y'know, his days were supposed to be numbered the first time Clinton was elected... nearly 10 years ago.

Funny, that.

Originally posted by melon:
Rush is a complete moron. If he epitomizes conservatism, with his "I know everything, but really talking out of my ass" attitude, then I really feel sorry for conservatives. They really could find a better poster boy.

Melon

(Remember when I called Michael Moore an idiot? Remember the flack I received for that? Melon just called Rush "a complete moron". Where's the outrage here?)

Granted, Rush's confidence rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But the reason his ideas are in agreement with so many conservatives is THE IDEAS, not the attitude (which, honestly, is more entertainment than anything else).

IDEAS. What a novel concept.

Besides, if you think there is a different correct side of an issue (and Rush does), if you think you're ON the right side (and Rush does), and if you think you can thus defend your position (and Rush does), why NOT be confident in your beliefs?

On the specific issue at hand (Rush's take on Bono), one must recall two things:

First, in the Eighties, Bono got *dangerously* near to a position recently held by Zach de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine and Michael Moore: not JUST criticism of specific American policies, but criticism because America is America.

(You can see this criticism from a LOT of Europeans. If some country's in trouble and we help out, we're "imperialists"; if we don't we're "heartless".)

Second, if ANY OTHER CELEBRITY were doing this, we'd ALL be skeptical, and rightfully so.

The bottom line is that the burden is on Bono to demonstrate that he knows what he's talking about. I think he's demonstrated that enough, especially considering the support from such people as Phil Gramm and President Bush. But, as a U2 fan, I'm more fully aware of what Bono's been up to. If/when Rush gets both sides of the issue (which appears to be Monday), THEN let's see if he continues to throw around baseless attacks, or - if he does continue to criticize, whether his reasons are more justified.

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 03-16-2002).]

Originally posted by tiny dancer:
Why, yes I am.

Okay, I was just wondering because I mentioned Michael Reagan and Bill Maher in the post above yours so I wasn't sure whom you were reffering too
smile.gif

Originally posted by z edge:
I'll tell you a GOOD radio guy who is conservative yet not as harsh as Rush and pretty reasonable: Michael Reagan, adopted son of Ronald Reagan. He has a great radio show that comes on in the evenings, You all should check him out.

I checked out his show a few times when the talk radio station opened...but they shortly replaced him with "entertainment" talk shows on level with Jerry Springer and then Michael Savage, whom I also generally don't like (but at least he displays a modicum of intelligence, unlike the shows he replaced). They've also recently added Laura Ingraham, and she is rather cool (and pretty funny). She also, BTW, loves U2, I think. It seems that 90% of her "bumper music" is U2, and later, when I checked out her site, she has a pic of her and Bono. For awhile she did this little "soap opera" about OBL that she deemed "As The Cave Turns".
smile.gif

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Rush on liberals (emphasis mine):

"On Wednesday, I took a call from a self-described California liberal named Bob. He was a great guy, and as he went to great pains to explain, he never once called me names, which set him apart from 99% of the liberals who call the program. I mean, I put liberals and others who disagree with me at the front of the caller rotation. So why waste this big showbiz break with name calling? If we conservatives are so easy to defeat, then challenge on the issues."

Liberals on Rush (emphasis mine):

Originally posted by The Wanderer:

Originally posted by melon:

Originally posted by U2live:
Rush Limbaugh just regrets he wasn't here during WW2 so he could have served the Fuherer directly.

On behalf of Mr. Limbaugh...

SEE, I TOLD YOU SO.

Now, what I want to know is this: where is the outrage? God forbid I call Michael Moore an idiot, because I wouldn't want to offend the tender ears of the politically correct.

But where are those defenders of civility and tolerance NOW?

For a moment, look past the first two comments:

U2live, an apparent fan of the tolerant and spiritually minded U2, just called Rush Limbaugh a Nazi.

WHERE'S THE FUCKING OUTRAGE?

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 03-17-2002).]

Sorry to get off topic a bit, but who is Michael Moore, and why is he "an idiot"? Thanks

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Lol...good one. I personally have No respect for him in his role. I don't know the man personally...and I suspect Rush is possibly a character he plays...but 99 percent of the opinions he spews frankly sicken me...
frown.gif

Originally posted by U2LA:
Someone ever had a ton of respect for Rush Limbaugh in the first place?

I would be willing to bet that there are quite a few Democrats that just love him! WHY? Because he always went after Clinton for 8 years while letting the DICK Gepharts of the world go virtually unnoticed
eek.gif

Back
Top Bottom