I have just lost a ton of respect for Rush.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2002, 05:35 PM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Lemonite:
I would be hesitant to say that Bono's political speeches during concerts or what not were just for entertainment.. they were for nothing of that sort.. It was just a platform for him to spout his view.. and a very Prominent platform at that.

I didn't mean for it to be taken that his speeches were for entertainment, just that they were not given in a "serious" setting, such as his recent political views have been. He previously vented in front of people who might take it upon themselves to do something, whereas recently he has spoken to those who should take it on themselves to do something, ya know?

As for conservative fans having a fit that Rush doesn't like Bono....I really don't care if he does or not, as long as his opinion is informed, which at present, its not.

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

Old 03-16-2002, 07:25 PM   #17
I serve MacPhisto

Local Time: 12:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ladywithspinninghead:

haha, this is too funny...It took me about 4 minutes to figure out that "Rush" isn't the band Rush!!!!!!!

Sorry, but that's the assumption when a Canadian sees the thread title....I had been wondering what that band had been up to so was surprised to discover Geddy, Neil and co. had started a talk show....

Oh nevermind me....I'm hungover from Jagermesiter shit...
LOL, no wonder your head is spinning

Ummmm, I consider myself a conservative although I am liberal at times.

I listen to Rush and agree with him maybe 50% of the time. Listening to Rush is good balance, like watching Bill Maher. Even though he pisses me off a lot, I enjoy PI and love Maher's sense of humor.

I would love to throw a plate of rotten food in his face after hearing some of the things he said about Bono. Of course, I will look forward to hearing the "other side" monday. Maybe somebody can school Rush on Bono. Maybe Bono himself should call 'el Rushbo'

I'll tell you a GOOD radio guy who is conservative yet not as harsh as Rush and pretty reasonable: Michael Reagan, adopted son of Ronald Reagan. He has a great radio show that comes on in the evenings, You all should check him out.

Old 03-17-2002, 12:17 AM   #18
Blue Crack Distributor

I'm sorry but I don't have much respect for someone who puts poor and sick people down.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:27 AM   #19
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:
Originally posted by tiny dancer:
I'm sorry but I don't have much respect for someone who puts poor and sick people down.
Just wondering, you are reffering to Rush?

Old 03-17-2002, 01:43 AM   #20
The Fly

Rush Limbaugh just regrets he wasn't here during WW2 so he could have served the Fuherer directly.
Old 03-17-2002, 01:44 AM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:
Quote:
Just wondering, you are reffering to Rush?
Why, yes I am.
Old 03-17-2002, 03:26 AM   #22
Refugee

Local Time: 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Rush is a joke, he's never done a fucking thing for anyone or anything but himself. His days are numbered, Bill O'Reilly will bury him when it's all said and done.
Y'know, his days were supposed to be numbered the first time Clinton was elected... nearly 10 years ago.

Funny, that.

Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
Rush is a complete moron. If he epitomizes conservatism, with his "I know everything, but really talking out of my ass" attitude, then I really feel sorry for conservatives. They really could find a better poster boy.

Melon
(Remember when I called Michael Moore an idiot? Remember the flack I received for that? Melon just called Rush "a complete moron". Where's the outrage here?)

Granted, Rush's confidence rubs a lot of people the wrong way. But the reason his ideas are in agreement with so many conservatives is THE IDEAS, not the attitude (which, honestly, is more entertainment than anything else).

IDEAS. What a novel concept.

Besides, if you think there is a different correct side of an issue (and Rush does), if you think you're ON the right side (and Rush does), and if you think you can thus defend your position (and Rush does), why NOT be confident in your beliefs?

On the specific issue at hand (Rush's take on Bono), one must recall two things:

First, in the Eighties, Bono got *dangerously* near to a position recently held by Zach de la Rocha of Rage Against the Machine and Michael Moore: not JUST criticism of specific American policies, but criticism because America is America.

(You can see this criticism from a LOT of Europeans. If some country's in trouble and we help out, we're "imperialists"; if we don't we're "heartless".)

Second, if ANY OTHER CELEBRITY were doing this, we'd ALL be skeptical, and rightfully so.

The bottom line is that the burden is on Bono to demonstrate that he knows what he's talking about. I think he's demonstrated that enough, especially considering the support from such people as Phil Gramm and President Bush. But, as a U2 fan, I'm more fully aware of what Bono's been up to. If/when Rush gets both sides of the issue (which appears to be Monday), THEN let's see if he continues to throw around baseless attacks, or - if he does continue to criticize, whether his reasons are more justified.

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 03-16-2002).]
Old 03-17-2002, 03:46 AM   #23
Refugee

Tiny Dancer, any specific reason you think that?
Old 03-17-2002, 03:48 AM   #24
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:
Why, yes I am.
Okay, I was just wondering because I mentioned Michael Reagan and Bill Maher in the post above yours so I wasn't sure whom you were reffering too

Old 03-17-2002, 03:58 AM   #25
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by z edge:
I'll tell you a GOOD radio guy who is conservative yet not as harsh as Rush and pretty reasonable: Michael Reagan, adopted son of Ronald Reagan. He has a great radio show that comes on in the evenings, You all should check him out.

I checked out his show a few times when the talk radio station opened...but they shortly replaced him with "entertainment" talk shows on level with Jerry Springer and then Michael Savage, whom I also generally don't like (but at least he displays a modicum of intelligence, unlike the shows he replaced). They've also recently added Laura Ingraham, and she is rather cool (and pretty funny). She also, BTW, loves U2, I think. It seems that 90% of her "bumper music" is U2, and later, when I checked out her site, she has a pic of her and Bono. For awhile she did this little "soap opera" about OBL that she deemed "As The Cave Turns".

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com
Old 03-17-2002, 03:59 AM   #26
Refugee

Rush on liberals (emphasis mine):

"On Wednesday, I took a call from a self-described California liberal named Bob. He was a great guy, and as he went to great pains to explain, he never once called me names, which set him apart from 99% of the liberals who call the program. I mean, I put liberals and others who disagree with me at the front of the caller rotation. So why waste this big showbiz break with name calling? If we conservatives are so easy to defeat, then challenge on the issues."

Liberals on Rush (emphasis mine):

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer:
Rush is a joke, he's never done a fucking thing for anyone or anything but himself. His days are numbered, Bill O'Reilly will bury him when it's all said and done.
Quote:
Originally posted by melon:
Rush is a complete moron. If he epitomizes conservatism, with his "I know everything, but really talking out of my ass" attitude, then I really feel sorry for conservatives. They really could find a better poster boy.
Quote:
Originally posted by U2live:
Rush Limbaugh just regrets he wasn't here during WW2 so he could have served the Fuherer directly.
On behalf of Mr. Limbaugh...

SEE, I TOLD YOU SO.

Now, what I want to know is this: where is the outrage? God forbid I call Michael Moore an idiot, because I wouldn't want to offend the tender ears of the politically correct.

But where are those defenders of civility and tolerance NOW?

For a moment, look past the first two comments:

U2live, an apparent fan of the tolerant and spiritually minded U2, just called Rush Limbaugh a Nazi.

WHERE'S THE FUCKING OUTRAGE?

[This message has been edited by Achtung Bubba (edited 03-17-2002).]
Old 03-17-2002, 04:03 AM   #27
The Fly

Sorry to get off topic a bit, but who is Michael Moore, and why is he "an idiot"? Thanks

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com
Old 03-17-2002, 04:36 AM   #28
War Child

Someone ever had a ton of respect for Rush Limbaugh in the first place?
Old 03-17-2002, 04:39 AM   #29
Acrobat

Lol...good one. I personally have No respect for him in his role. I don't know the man personally...and I suspect Rush is possibly a character he plays...but 99 percent of the opinions he spews frankly sicken me...
Old 03-17-2002, 04:40 AM   #30
I serve MacPhisto

Quote:
Originally posted by U2LA:
Someone ever had a ton of respect for Rush Limbaugh in the first place?
I would be willing to bet that there are quite a few Democrats that just love him! WHY? Because he always went after Clinton for 8 years while letting the DICK Gepharts of the world go virtually unnoticed