I Have Given Up Organized Religion - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2004, 08:55 PM   #1
LCK
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:57 PM
I Have Given Up Organized Religion

I'm a Grad student who has taken numerous elective courses in theology, philosophy and history and so often throughout history, organized religion has led to bloodshed and intolerance. It is so often the cause of hate in today's society. And I don't think there is only one path to God. For me that path is Jesus but for someone else it might be Moses or Mohammed or nature etc. I am not going to tell someone else his/ her system of belief is wrong or inferior to mine. Debate is healthy, but only if it is respectful and open-minded. In my own life it seems the people who are allegedly the most religious have been the ones I have been most disillusioned by. Some religious people have hearts of gold, but so many others are pious and judgemental. I no longer go to church but I still pray. I do not take my children to church but I teach them about Jesus, and together we learn about other religions too- why the Mennorah is lit on Hannakuh or why people fast during Ramadan or about the ancient Greek philosopehers. Most of all however, I want to teach them tolerance and acceptance, not a fire and brimstone regime of fear and hate.

Old 01-06-2004, 09:47 PM   #2
Acrobat

Local Time: 11:57 AM
I don't know...I have a religion but I've always been on the outside of it because I don't belong inside it. I believe in it, but I just don't belong...I think it's because the people are so boring.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:34 PM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Soul Always
I don't know...I have a religion but I've always been on the outside of it because I don't belong inside it. I believe in it, but I just don't belong...I think it's because the people are so boring.
Sometimes I feel the same way. I think there's a problem in that "religion" tends to focus more on people than on God. That is, everyone has their own ideas and interpretations, and that's fine, but rather than allowing differences and individuality there is this need to conform to traditions and so on.

I think I could be just as spiritually fulfilled - or even more so - if I didn't go to church and I just concentrated on my own relationship with God. But I continue to go to church because I like to feel part of a community, and to know other Christians ... but I don't agree with everything about it.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:47 AM   #4
New Yorker

Edit: I made a post that was intended to get a rise out of people but it occured to me that my post -- although related to the topic at hand -- might throw this serious discussion off track so I'm retracting.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:45 AM   #5
Babyface

Local Time: 06:57 PM
I dont' see myself as very religious, I don't go to places of worship, I feel that you can say prayers wherever you are. My relationship is entirely with God, I don't go through Jesus, as, like everyone, we are all Gods children and I pray directly to God. But, yes, religion tends to cause a lot of wars. I have come across endless wars in the old Zoo, this religion battling that religion, we all have different views, different beliefs, but I think, if people respected other peoples religions, beliefs, then a lot of the wars in this world would cease.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:13 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Well, I really don't want to get into this topic other than to say I think it's really unfair to generalize and say "all religious people" or "all Christians" are any certain way. I see it so often around here.

I consider myself spiritual/religious, and if that makes me "boring" in anyone's eyes, so be it. I have chosen a path for myself that hasn't been easy, for that reason among many others. It has been a saving factor in my life. I don't go around preaching to people, or judging them if they have not chosen the same path. All I ask is that they respect my beliefs.

I have issues w/ my church, but I find comfort and acceptance there that I have never found elsewhere. It's a very personal thing.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Re: I Have Given Up Organized Religion

Quote:
Originally posted by LCK
And I don't think there is only one path to God. For me that path is Jesus but for someone else it might be Moses or Mohammed or nature etc. I am not going to tell someone else his/ her system of belief is wrong or inferior to mine.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:43 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:57 AM
This is a very broad topic with many points to discuss. I would only caution that the alternative to an "organized religion" is a self-created religion. I believe our knowledge of God must come from something outside of ourselves.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:08 PM   #9
War Child

If we'd respect each other's differences, there would be room for ALL religions and beliefs. That we can't is our greatest fault as a humans.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:02 AM   #10
War Child

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
If we'd respect each other's differences, there would be room for ALL religions and beliefs. That we can't is our greatest fault as a humans.
Exactly
Old 01-09-2004, 07:17 PM   #11
LCK
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler
Edit: I made a post that was intended to get a rise out of people but it occured to me that my post -- although related to the topic at hand -- might throw this serious discussion off track so I'm retracting.
hi pub crawler I didn't see your original post but if you wrote something intended to get a rise out of people you're my kind of pub crawler lol
Old 01-09-2004, 07:19 PM   #12
LCK
Acrobat

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
This is a very broad topic with many points to discuss. I would only caution that the alternative to an "organized religion" is a self-created religion. I believe our knowledge of God must come from something outside of ourselves.
You make a good point- a lot of 'self created religions' end up being quirky and/ or cult like.

Except for Homer Simpson, when he walked around his backyard dressed like a monk.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:20 PM   #13
LCK
Acrobat

On a more serious note tho, not accepting the status quo has also led to great change throughout history- ie Martin Luther's personal disillusionment ended up spearheading the Reformation.
Old 01-11-2004, 02:26 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Local Time: 12:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by najeena
So incredibly true. .

I also agree with LCK. It's just such a shame that some people do get that cruel in regards to religion, because ironically, the message of religions is a good one-the idea of love and peace and everything. How some people can corrupt that so badly is something I'll never understand. Why is it such a horrible thing if someone has their own ideas in regards to God and what happens when we die?

For instance, recently I came across a girl who decided it was her job to try and convert everyone on this board I go to to Christianity, and when she found out that I personally don't believe in heaven and hell, but reincarnation instead (my beliefs come from different religions-I'm just spiritual), she said, "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of". She's basically stated that her way is right and everyone else is just too blind to see the truth and we'll all find out how wrong we were someday. .

I dunno, personally, I find hearing about other religions' ideas of what God is, and whether or not there's just one god, and what they think happens when we die, and stuff like that, rather fascinating. It's important for us to educate ourselves-we don't have to follow the religions if we personally don't agree with the teachings, but it doesn't hurt to see what they believe, to avoid myths (like, for example, the fact that Satanists don't worship Satan). It's the only way we'll ever be able to accept and understand each other.

Angela
Old 01-11-2004, 11:40 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

I'm a practicing Catholic, but I cannot stand the idea of calling someone else's religion "stupid". I don't care if it's Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, or whatever. Modern civilization is supposed to be founded on freedom of conscience. Some believers in some religions are ignorant of others. There have been appallingly ignorant statements made about Islam, in particular, recently, by big shots. Ignorant statements about any other religion are equally reprehensible. Every time I hear or read about one I think "whatever happened to the concept of freedom of conscience"? Meddling with people's freedom like that is dangerous and, yes, stupid. Some ignorant could be after *your* rights. I have heard of people right here in my own city who think Catholicism is an evil cult.