I have a problem with Celebrities adopting! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 04:41 PM
I have a problem with Celebrities adopting!

Just curious if im alone on this veiwpoint.

The reason why celebrities adopt is to give the child a better life.

I don't think picking children out of orphanges like you would choose a dog from a pound, taking them out of their birth country giving one on one Soccer training with Becks is necessarily giving that child the best.

I'm seriously trying to imagine what i would do if i were rich and famous and i am absolutely certain that i would prefer to better the standards of living for ALL the orphans by providing food,health care, and education.

With a combination of all stars, artists and musicians and other disgustlingly rich people their money can make this a reality!

Old 10-20-2006, 10:22 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Since my mom worked for a local adoption agency, many of my closest friends growing up were adopted. I guess I really don't care who adopts a child. The bottom line is, that child now has a safe, loving home and will be provided for. My best friend from high school was adopted and while her family lived in Bangladesh, her mom visited an orphanage. She came home with a 4 year old boy. He wouldn't leave her alone and she couldn't stand to leave him there, so they adopted him. I don't think she was picking him out like choosing a puppy. If he hadn't been adopted, he would've continued to live severely malnurished and neglected like the other kids there. I guess saving one is better than none. I can't stand many celebrities for a lot of reasons, but when it comes to adoption and parenting, I prefer to give ANY person the benefit of the doubt. I don't know them personally, so I'll assume their motivations come from the heart.

The problem with what you're proposing (giving money to better the quality of the program as a whole rather than taking one child) is that sometimes, the aid is squandered. For example, my mom's friend tried to adopt a child from Romania. She was told to fly to their orphanage and she would be able to pick a child. When she arrived, they kept her initial deposit, but then said they only had a few children available and basically auctioned them off between the couples that had come. She lost thousands of dollars that was taken by their adoption agency and came home childless. No one knows where her money went, since when she went back a second time, the conditions of the orphanage had only deteriorated. Luckily this time she was able to come home with a boy.

Personally, I'd rather have it be the goal that each child gets the home and family he or she deserves. I'm sure they would chose this over a better orphanage.

On a more personal level, I think there's quite a big difference between being charitable and becoming a parent. Both are equally noble and honorable, but I don't think people adopt babies to be charitable, they adopt them because they want to be parents and have a child.

Old 10-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Re: I have a problem with Celebrities adopting!

Quote:
Originally posted by fly so high!

I don't think picking children out of orphanges like you would choose a dog from a pound, taking them out of their birth country giving one on one Soccer training with Becks is necessarily giving that child the best.

Would you rather them sit their and grow up in orphanges?

The sad sad truth is, non-white children are less likely to be adopted and grow up in orphanges.
Old 10-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

My grandmother's brother was adopted from an orphanage in the late 1930s. This was very rare at the time but it has been a wonderful and illuminating example for all of us in the family. I think we've all seen adoption as something very natural and wonderful as a result.

I have more issue with somebody like Madonna adopting a child who has a father whose only crime is that he's poor. In that scenario, I'd rather she, through her immense means, made it possible for the father to have the finances necessary to give the child a better life than just take the kid. Something about that doesn't quite sit well with me.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:56 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Just as a matter of one drunken opinion, to be taken seriously or not is up to you.........if you think there was someting wrong with what Madonna did (as the glaring example) I'd never, ever invite you to my dinner table.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

I have more issue with somebody like Madonna adopting a child who has a father whose only crime is that he's poor. In that scenario, I'd rather she, through her immense means, made it possible for the father to have the finances necessary to give the child a better life than just take the kid. Something about that doesn't quite sit well with me.
Do you want to parse and select how the help gets to the child?
Might the father be a tad more grateful than the idealist portrayed in this opinion?
Old 10-21-2006, 01:11 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2DMfan
Just as a matter of one drunken opinion, to be taken seriously or not is up to you.........if you think there was someting wrong with what Madonna did (as the glaring example) I'd never, ever invite you to my dinner table.
I generally don't break bread with DM fans on account of their bad taste....as a matter of principle, you see.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:21 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:41 AM
Quote:

I generally don't break bread with DM fans on account of their bad taste....as a matter of principle, you see.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:27 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I Feeeel You, your heart...its stinks.

Anyhow, that's fine, you can keep Bryan Adams and Alanis.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:45 AM   #10
Refugee

Quote:

This is exactly what i mean.
Old 10-21-2006, 09:06 AM   #11
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje
My best friend from high school was adopted and while her family lived in Bangladesh, her mom visited an orphanage. She came home with a 4 year old boy. He wouldn't leave her alone and she couldn't stand to leave him there, so they adopted him. I don't think she was picking him out like choosing a puppy. If he hadn't been adopted, he would've continued to live severely malnurished and neglected like the other kids there. I guess saving one is better than none.
You see as much as your friends mum is a deadset legend for adopting this child....I think she did choose this child as you would if you were choosing puppy.......of course you are going to try everything to bring that child home after they want to be around you......your heart would be made of stone if that does not move you...what i'm saying is what about the little one at the back that can't speak or the mentally & physically delayed one or the little one that is disfigured....I just don't think i could choose one over another....and it would be impossible to bring them all home....so i think i would try to help them all by TRYING to fix the causes of why these children are in the orphanges in the first place. Of course this needs SHITLOADS of money...this is why i'm directing it to people who by combining some of their funds can afford to do this,aka celebrites, not your struggletown,heart of gold people that are trying to help where thay can!
Old 10-21-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I have a problem with it if they are doing it because it's the "in" thing to do. You don't f around with a child's life because of that. I would certainly hope that no human being would ever adopt for that reason, but who knows.

It's a sad reality that the wealthy have more ability to adopt, they can provide a better material life for a child and can pay for the advantages in adopting-travel, giving money to a young pregnant teen, etc. I would have a problem with a celebrity being given preferential treatment in adoption when someone who could provide just as much love and the basic necessities was passed over in favor of a celebrity. I would imagine it is very painful to see celebs seemingly adopt so easily if you have been trying for years to adopt a child. And when you see the footage of Maddox looking scared when he's trailed by paparazzi, you realize that the love and financial advantages he has come with negatives. It ssems like his parents always make their best efforts to shield and protect him, but in the celebrity crazed culture we live in it must be so difficult. Obviously all in all he is living a much better life because he was adopted than he would have been at the orphanage, whether he was adopted by Angelina or any other loving and good parent.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:06 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:11 AM
If Paris Hilton adopts a child from Africa, then there ought to be a law.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:15 AM   #14
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 10:41 PM
I agree it all sounds a little fishy and bizarre, but Madonna posted a letter on her website saying they had started the process some time back. Is that true, or is she just trying to ease some of the backlash? Who knows. It certainly COULD be true. It didn't hit the news until she was already there.

Also, did she jump ahead of a big line of folks waiting? I don't know ... how many non-celebs are waiting to adopt a child from Malawi?

I read a quote somewhere online from a woman who had been waiting for ages to adopt a child from China, and she was upset Madonna had adopted one so easily. But again, is there a long waiting list to adopt from Malawi?

EDIT: I just read somewhere else that Malawi has an adoption law stating that you must live in Malawi for 18 months before you can adopt. So yep, that makes it fishy.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:30 PM   #15
Refugee

Location: The city of blinding lights and amazing coffee - Melbourne.
Local Time: 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I have a problem with it if they are doing it because it's the "in" thing to do. You don't f around with a child's life because of that. I would certainly hope that no human being would ever adopt for that reason, but who knows.

It's a sad reality that the wealthy have more ability to adopt, they can provide a better material life for a child and can pay for the advantages in adopting-travel, giving money to a young pregnant teen, etc. I would have a problem with a celebrity being given preferential treatment in adoption when someone who could provide just as much love and the basic necessities was passed over in favor of a celebrity. I would imagine it is very painful to see celebs seemingly adopt so easily if you have been trying for years to adopt a child. And when you see the footage of Maddox looking scared when he's trailed by paparazzi, you realize that the love and financial advantages he has come with negatives. It ssems like his parents always make their best efforts to shield and protect him, but in the celebrity crazed culture we live in it must be so difficult. Obviously all in all he is living a much better life because he was adopted than he would have been at the orphanage, whether he was adopted by Angelina or any other loving and good parent.
geat post...I agree.

As long as people who don't or CAN'T have children who can offer a loving and financially secure home get passed over for celebs, then i dont care who adopts the children. I just want them OUT of poverty and living a life that other people take for granted.

Though the one thing annoying me with the whole madonna thing is -she already has two kids, shes like old as fuck, why adopt a little baby, she'll be in depends before his 21st! (also i think her and guy ritchie are on the rocks, so i wouldnt call it a stable home!)