"I Hate Gay People"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought Magic Johnson contracted HIV from sleeping with 8,000 women (more or less).

Headache in a Suitcase said:

or maybe it is... which of course leads us to that old issue of those who seem to be the most homophobic tend to be hiding something themselves.

this is an easy leap to take

I try and stay away from it

I think it is insulting to gay people

it suggest that the ignoramus speaking might be secretly gay

Most gay people I know are not ignoramuses :shrug:

I know there are historic examples that bigots may be the thing they hate

Hitler from Jewish linage??

but,
do we assume most Klansman might be secretly black?

80sU2isBest said:
I thought Magic Johnson contracted HIV from sleeping with 8,000 women (more or less).

actually less

most likely sleeping with one person

but that does not fit your mold of sex outside of marriage = SIN

80sU2isBest said:

We talked about this in my Sociology class last week. I don't believe he contracted it from all those women.

HIV is basically spread from bodily fluids, and during sex, women receive fluids from the man. So, in class we discussed how a large number of women are becoming HIV positive lately, and how the equation basically amounts to them contracting it from men who have had sex (i.e, received semen) with other men.

I've always thought this was the case with Magic Johnson.

In any case, sad that this is even an issue in this century.

deep said:

actually less

most likely sleeping with one person

but that does not fit your mold of sex outside of marriage = SIN

I do think that sex outside of marriage is sin, but I don't see why you brought that up.

All I was doing was clarifying the Magic Johnson thing, so SO-RRY.

LarryMullen's_POPAngel said:

We talked about this in my Sociology class last week. I don't believe he contracted it from all those women.

HIV is basically spread from bodily fluids, and during sex, women receive fluids from the man. So, in class we discussed how a large number of women are becoming HIV positive lately, and how the equation basically amounts to them contracting it from men who have had sex (i.e, received semen) with other men.

I didn't know it worked that way. Of course, I didn't actually mean that I thought he got it from all of them. I was just saying that I thought he contracted HIV because of the many partners he had. But what I just learned from you never would have occurred to me. That's very interesting.

But someone says it's Wilt Chamberlain I was thinking of anyway, so who knows...

:laugh: "They eat up all the chicken, Think there the best dances and they stink." LOL

redhotswami said:

No I don't think so. All it takes is one person who is HIV+, and not necessarily because of how many partners one has had.

Well yes, I know that all it takes is one person. But when a person has sex with a ridiculous number of people, it will of course increase his chances of sleeping with someone who has HIV.

Last edited:
80sU2isBest said:

I do think that sex outside of marriage is sin, but I don't see why you brought that up.

All I was doing was clarifying the Magic Johnson thing, so SO-RRY.

A person with HIV only contracts HIV once

if it happens while engaged in a sexual act , so be it.

Your post led me to believe there was a judgement in your remarks.

perhaps even consequences for his behavior

I just don't buy that

I respect your right to believe in sin and make judgement's for yourself and people who voluntarily choose to be part of your group.

As I would for anyone who chooses to be a part any other religious group.

No need to be sorry
I like you
and appreciate you for sharing your views.

deep said:

Your post led me to believe there was a judgement in your remarks.

perhaps even consequences for his behavior

I just don't buy that

Actually, I was making a point. I later worded it more succinctly:

When a person has sex with a ridiculous number of people, it will of course increase his chances of sleeping with someone who has HIV.

My point wasn't that sex outside of marraige is a sin; my point was that irresponsible behavior increases a person's chances.

deep said:
I respect your right to believe in sin and make judgement's for yourself and people who voluntarily choose to be part of your group.

As I would for anyone who chooses to be a part any other religious group.

No need to be sorry
I like you
and appreciate you for sharing your views.

Thanks very much for the kind words. I feel the same.

80sU2isBest said:

Actually, I was making a point. I later worded it more succinctly:

When a person has sex with a ridiculous number of people, it will of course increase his chances of sleeping with someone who has HIV.

My point wasn't that sex outside of marraige is a sin; my point was that irresponsible behavior increases a person's chances.

sexy_women_tight_dress.jpg

If this woman went out dressed like that
had a few drinks and when the bar closed
she walked three blocks to her car
and got raped

there would people that would say
"When a woman dresses like that, at that time on night, it will of course increase her chances of getting attacked."

I've always thought this was the case with Magic Johnson.

In any case, sad that this is even an issue in this century.

Wait, what? Your class taught you that men can only get HIV from men? Am I understanding that right?

Men who have unprotected sex can receive fluids from women as well, imagine the movement creating a sort of vacuum through the urethra. Now the amount of fluid received is much smaller, but it's still very possible for a man to contract HIV from a woman.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Wait, what? Your class taught you that men can only get HIV from men? Am I understanding that right?

Men who have unprotected sex can receive fluids from women as well, imagine the movement creating a sort of vacuum through the urethra. Now the amount of fluid received is much smaller, but it's still very possible for a man to contract HIV from a woman.

No, that's not the case at all. I should have been clearer.

We were talking about how the chances of men contracting it from women was a very small amount compared to the chances of them having contracting from other men.

I know it can be contracted either way. Believe me, if anyone thinks otherwise they need to go back to Sex Ed 101.

No, that's not the case at all. I should have been clearer.

We were talking about how the chances of men contracting it from women was a very small amount compared to the chances of them having contracting from other men.

I know it can be contracted either way. Believe me, if anyone thinks otherwise they need to go back to Sex Ed 101.

Ok, I thought so, I just wanted to make sure.:wink:

Headache in a Suitcase said:

The host asked Hardaway how he would interact with a gay teammate.

"First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team. And second of all, if he was on my team, I would, you know, really distance myself from him because, uh, I don't think that is right. I don't think he should be in the locker room while we are in the locker room."

If he did find out that a teammate was gay, Hardaway said he would ask for the player to be removed from the team.

"Something has to give," Hardaway said. "If you have 12 other ballplayers in your locker room that's upset and can't concentrate and always worried about him in the locker room or on the court or whatever, it's going to be hard for your teammates to win and accept him as a teammate."

Wow, Tim. Sounds to me like you're worried he might try to hit on you, or that he might stare a little too long at your knob and get ideas. But wait a sec, Tim ol' pal - if you're so homophobic, shouldn't this not worry you, since you're clearly as straight as an arrow? It sounds like you're concerned a gay athlete might try to "convert" your team - next thing we know all the uniforms will be pink and frilly!

Kind of an excessively defensive posture to take, especially since the statements weren't provoked.

Seems odd that someone who's so homophobic would choose a career in which you're paid to get sweaty and play with balls every day with ten other grown men. :hmm:

I'll let the reader fill in the conclusions. :wink:

Hardaway later apologized for the remarks during a telephone interview with Fox affiliate WSVN in Miami.

"Yes, I regret it. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said I hate gay people or anything like that," he said. "That was my mistake."

This is the most hollow apology I've ever heard. His only mistake apparently was to vocalize his thoughts, and I bet the only thing he's sorry for is the damage this whole thing has caused to his reputation. :tsk:

I will gladly put down a $1000 bet with anyone that there was at least one closeted gay man on the ABA team he coached and played for last year.

Well, I hope he enjoys no longer having any prospects for a post-retirement career. Seems lately any massively bigoted remarks (ie Michael Richards) have led to the end of public careers, here's hoping this incident does the same thing.

Although I will add this: it will come as no shock to me if we find out in that Timmy Boy has been visiting a gay prostitute in El Paso for massages and meth smoking sessions. I think God creates a kitten every time one of those guys are exposed.

Warning to Beav and Headache: try not to get the kittens smited. You know what I'm talking about. :shame:

Right. Either way, here's some advice for Tim Hardaway: listen to the master.

Originally uttered by Yoda
Fear leads to the dark side.
Fear leads to anger.
Anger leads to hate.
Hate leads to suffering.

9754937_280686ac96.jpg

Seriously dude, he's smart. :up:

And lay off the meth. That's probably smart, too.

80sU2isBest said:

I didn't know it worked that way. Of course, I didn't actually mean that I thought he got it from all of them. I was just saying that I thought he contracted HIV because of the many partners he had. But what I just learned from you never would have occurred to me. That's very interesting.

But someone says it's Wilt Chamberlain I was thinking of anyway, so who knows...

additionally, it is easier for uncircumsized men to contract HIV because the foreskin is much more sensitive and more prone to tiny tears that can be receptors for the virus from an HIV+ women.

but, anyway, as for the issue ... eh, whatever. he's a stupid bigot and that's fine and i'm glad that the condemnation has been fairly universal.

i suppose the bigger question is why women can be successful athletes and be out, but men can't.

deep said:

and got raped

"When a woman dresses like that, at that time on night, it will of course increase her chances of getting attacked."

Well hello - didn't see this on the way in. :combust:

It appears there are some words under this photograph. Someday, I might read them. :wink:

No really, I did read your post, and I think you raise a very interesting (and valid) point, deep. It reminds me of an ongoing story here in Canada, where a former CFL player is currently on trial for having had unprotected sex with a few women while he knew he was HIV-positive. Now the women are infected too, and there's a fair amount of outrage out west (he played for Saskatchewan) over this.

I can't help but wonder what the reaction would be if a gay athlete (doesn't matter which sport) had deliberately infected other men. I think public opinion might be vastly different - the story would probably be ignored outside Saskatoon, simply yet another incident of gay men being a little too promiscuous. :sigh:

Despite how progressive Canada is said to be, we still have a lot of folks who could rival the looniest right-wing Americans in sheer hatred for anything different than themselves. The exception that proves the rule is Karl Rove - being Satan's unholy demon seed apparently provides some sort of superpower against being indicted.

Alright, I'm done. I've got some important business to attend to (again):
dope.gif
:shh:

Best of luck keeping this thread open beyond tonight. The over/under currently sits at 1:45 am EST.

deep said:

and got raped

Is walking a few blocks to your car as risky a behavior as having numerous sexual partners? No, it is not.

I am not syaing that people deserve HIV if hey sleep with an excessive number of people; I am saying it is risky behavior.

Do you agree that it is risky to sleep with an excessive number of people?

deep said:

A person with HIV only contracts HIV once

Actually, although it's rare, it's possible to contract different strains of HIV (viruses mutate), which is called HIV superinfection or reinfection.

Irvine511 said:
i suppose the bigger question is why women can be successful athletes and be out, but men can't.
I think at least part of the reason is what anitram already pointed out,
anitram said:
I think there should be a re-evaluation of why it is that straight men in general react in such ridiculous ways when dealing with homosexual men. Women are not like that at all - I've never heard a woman saying similar things about lesbian classmates, teammates, colleagues, etc.
Obviously there are women who believe lesbianism is wrong in an "abstract" moral sense, but for the most part, even women who feel that way wouldn't react to the presence of an out lesbian in their social sphere with that trigger emotional "Ewww gross, what if she hits on me and makes me feel lesbian, omg I don't want her seeing me naked at the gym" etc. Being socialized into "masculinity" on the one hand and "femininity" on the other are just very different in that way.

Last edited:
yolland said:
Obviously there are women who believe lesbianism is wrong in an "abstract" moral sense, but for the most part, even women who feel that way wouldn't react to the presence of an out lesbian in their social sphere with that trigger emotional "Ewww gross, what if she hits on me and makes me feel lesbian, omg I don't want her seeing me naked at the gym" etc. Being socialized into "masculinity" on the one hand and "femininity" on the other are just very different in that way.

:hmm:

i'm wondering if this plays into the much higher prevelance of bisexuality among women than among men, and the general idea that women tend to be able to go back and forth between the genders whereas men are "gay, straight, or lying."

anyway, as for out athletes, it was pretty much common knowledge that Greg Louganis was gay when he dominated diving throughout the 1980s, and despite his four gold medals and status as the best diver in history, he was still ostracized by his teammates, people refused to bunk with him on trips to international meets, etc. of course, this was the 1980s, but it shows you that even a sport that isn't as infected with machismo still retains it's homophobia.

so ... kind of brain dead today and not sure what to add, but the only thing i would say is that all the paranoid straight males should stop flattering themselves that they're being lusted after in the locker room by peeping gay tom's. you go to your average gay bar, and then go to your average straight bar, and then you tell me which men concern themsleves with looking good while naked. :wink:

I honestly don't see what the big deal is, even if a gay man was checking you out. I mean seriously, big freaking deal. I could care less if another dude checks out my ass...of course I'm not all that cute so I'd probably be thankful anybody scoped my booty. :) People need to get over it already.

I hate stupid people. Honestly, why the hell should it matter to anyone that another person is gay? It's stupid.

CTU2fan said:
I honestly don't see what the big deal is, even if a gay man was checking you out. I mean seriously, big freaking deal. I could care less if another dude checks out my ass...of course I'm not all that cute so I'd probably be thankful anybody scoped my booty. :) People need to get over it already.

Hardaway's inflated ego + His bigotry = bad juju
Sorry, I don't find him the least bit attractive, and I think he is giving himself too much credit. He needs to get over himself.

Back
Top Bottom