I guess spitzer resigns? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
Client # 40

how dare you say such bad things about Bono. that man was born for our sins.

Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #77
Blue Crack Distributor

i heard he likes amazon types

Old 03-11-2008, 10:30 AM   #78
Blue Crack Distributor

hooooooow looooooooong...

Old 03-11-2008, 10:33 AM   #79
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
i heard he likes amazon types

bono would never cheat on Ali

they love each other. i read U2 by U2 so i am an authority on their marriage.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:05 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

bono would never cheat on Ali

they love each other. i read U2 by U2 so i am an authority on their marriage.
Careful, yer gonna get mod-hammered.

Somewhere Imus has to be wondering when "ho" got added to the OK word list, cuz it sure wasn't there when he said it.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:19 AM   #81
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Wondering why the woman is standing by him is doing the same as I see it, is that anyone's business either?
My comment was referring to how many of these press conferences we've seen with the wife standing there supporting the husband and wasn't even necessarily about sex scandals. I was also thinking of people like Kenneth Lay, men who abuse their power and the dutiful wife stands there beside him at the press conference. We just never see the reverse, do we? There's something about it that is just sad. That said, I do agree that what goes on in a marriage is no one's business and is very personal and complex.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:44 PM   #82
ONE
love, blood, life

most marrige vows are made for better or worse.

however the clause that supercedes everything is to love honor and cherish your spouse.

so cheating is a deal breaker; questionable business practices can be seen as poor judgement-that's why some stay by their spouses.

dbs
Old 03-11-2008, 12:52 PM   #83
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:26 PM
Poor Mrs. Spitzer. I can't imagine how humiliating this is for her.

Way to go, Elliot
Old 03-11-2008, 01:09 PM   #84
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Gov. Eliot Spitzer ended up as the subject of an investigation into a prostitution ring because his bank branch in Manhattan turned him in to the Internal Revenue Service as someone who might be engaged in suspicious currency transactions, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

After the governor transferred $10,000 by breaking it into smaller amounts, he then called the bank asking that his name be removed from the transactions, the sources said.

Agents of the IRS Criminal Investigation Division initially started a probe fearing that the governor was the victim of some sort of blackmail scheme or because he was being victimized by an impostor, the sources said.
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/state/ny-stspitzerbank0312,0,4637246.story
Old 03-11-2008, 01:13 PM   #85
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know what in the world made him think he could get away with this.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:06 PM   #86
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I don't know what in the world made him think he could get away with this.
Powerful people tend to think they're above the law. They can do all the psychological studies they'd like but at the end of the day it's as simple as that.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:14 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

Powerful people tend to think they're above the law. They can do all the psychological studies they'd like but at the end of the day it's as simple as that.
I'd say out of control ego. I would guess such politicians would see other politicians get caught up in scandal and think to themselves "Oh I'm smarter than that, I won't get caught."
Old 03-11-2008, 02:45 PM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:26 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep

I am sure that is how the paper trail reads.

But, I am also confident that this Administration is abusing their ability to take free looks and listens where ever they want.

When they find something they want to exploit after sneaking in the back door.

All they do is get the right paper work and proper channels and go back in the front door.

Quote:
However, there is a set of questions that needs to be examined with respect to the Spitzer case. They go to prosecutorial motivation and direction. Note that this prosecution was managed with staffers from the Public Integrity Section at the Department of Justice. This section is now at the center of a major scandal concerning politically directed prosecutions. During the Bush Administration, his Justice Department has opened 5.6 cases against Democrats for every one involving a Republican. Beyond this, a number of the cases seem to have been tied closely to election cycles. Indeed, a study of the cases out of Alabama shows clearly that even cases opened against Republicans are in fact only part of a broader pattern of going after Democrats. So here are the rather amazing facts that surface in the Spitzer case:

(1) The prosecutors handling the case came from the Public Integrity Section.

(2) The prosecution is opened under the White-Slave Traffic Act of 1910. You read that correctly. The statute itself is highly disreputable, and most of the high-profile cases brought under it were politically motivated and grossly abusive. Here are a few:

Heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson was the first man prosecuted under the act — for having an affair with Lucille Cameron, whom he later married. The prosecution was manifestly an effort “to get” Johnson, who at the time was the most famous African-American. (All of this is developed well in Ken Burns’s film “Unforgiveable Blackness”).

University of Chicago sociologist William I. Thomas was prosecuted for having an affair with an officer’s wife in France. Thomas was targeted because of his Bohemian social and his radical political views.

In 1944 Charles Chaplin was prosecuted for having an affair with actress Joan Barry. The prosecution again provided cover for a politically motivated effort to drive Chaplin out of the country.

Canadian author Elizabeth Smart was arrested and charged in 1940 while crossing the border with the British poet George Barker.

(3) The resources dedicated to the case in terms of prosecutors and investigators are extraordinary.

(4) How the investigation got started. The Justice Department has yet to give a full account of why they were looking into Spitzer’s payments, and indeed the suggestion in the ABC account is that it didn’t have anything to do with a prostitution ring. The suggestion that this was driven by an IRS inquiry and involved a bank might heighten, rather than allay, concerns of a politically motivated prosecution.

All of these facts are consistent with a process which is not the investigation of a crime, but rather an attempt to target and build a case against an individual.

The answer of the Justice Department to all this is likely to be: Trust us. But in the current environment, the reservoir of trust is tapped. The Justice Department needs to submit to some questions about how this probe got launched, who launched it, and to what extent political appointees were involved in its direction. This has nothing to do with Spitzer’s guilt or innocence. But it has everything to do with the fading integrity of the Public Integrity Section.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:51 PM   #89
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Poor Mrs. Spitzer. I can't imagine how humiliating this is for her.

agreed.

elliot will have his own hell to deal with now for the rest of his life here, but hopefully not in the hereafter.

dbs
Old 03-11-2008, 04:24 PM   #90
Blue Crack Supplier

breaking marital vows aside -- which might be awful, but it isn't in and of itself a crime -- why is it, that if i offer someone $20 to shovel my driveway, i've merely paid for services. but if i offer $200 to have sex with me, it's a crime.

i mean this as a serious question.