I guess spitzer resigns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Irvine511 said:
breaking marital vows aside -- which might be awful, but it isn't in and of itself a crime -- why is it, that if i offer someone $20 to shovel my driveway, i've merely paid for services. but if i offer $200 to have sex with me, it's a crime.

i mean this as a serious question.

You got me. I'd like to know, too.

joyfulgirl said:
You got me. I'd like to know, too.

So here are the rather amazing facts that surface in the Spitzer case:

(1) The prosecutors handling the case came from the Public Integrity Section.

(2) The prosecution is opened under the White-Slave Traffic Act of 1910. You read that correctly. The statute itself is highly disreputable, and most of the high-profile cases brought under it were politically motivated and grossly abusive. Here are a few:

Heavyweight boxing champion Jack Johnson was the first man prosecuted under the act — for having an affair with Lucille Cameron, whom he later married. The prosecution was manifestly an effort “to get” Johnson, who at the time was the most famous African-American. (All of this is developed well in Ken Burns’s film “Unforgiveable Blackness”).

University of Chicago sociologist William I. Thomas was prosecuted for having an affair with an officer’s wife in France. Thomas was targeted because of his Bohemian social and his radical political views.

In 1944 Charles Chaplin was prosecuted for having an affair with actress Joan Barry. The prosecution again provided cover for a politically motivated effort to drive Chaplin out of the country.

Canadian author Elizabeth Smart was arrested and charged in 1940 while crossing the border with the British poet George Barker.

(3) The resources dedicated to the case in terms of prosecutors and investigators are extraordinary.

Word is he might resign as early as tomorrow...

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/S/SPITZER_PROSTITUTION?SITE=KNXAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Mar 11, 6:38 PM EDT

Spitzer May Have Spent Big on Call Girls

By MICHAEL GORMLEY
Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) -- With pressure mounting on Gov. Eliot Spitzer to resign over a call-girl scandal, investigators said Tuesday he was clearly a repeat customer who spent tens of thousands of dollars - perhaps as much as $80,000 - with the high-priced prostitution service over an extended period of time.

Spitzer and his family, meanwhile, remained secluded in their Fifth Avenue apartment, while Republicans began talking impeachment, and few if any fellow Democrats came forward to defend him. A death watch of sorts began at the state Capitol, where whispers of "What have you heard?" echoed through nearly every hallway of the ornate, 109-year-old building.

swaggart.jpeg

$80,000 =

3200 blow jobs for this man of the cloth.

Jimmy was economical
at $25 a pop.

now Kristen got $3200 for travel and services.

so $80,000 is about 25 Kristens over 6 years :shrug:

deep said:
swaggart.jpeg

$80,000 =

3200 blow jobs for this man of the cloth.

Jimmy was economical
at $25 a pop.

now Kristen got $3200 for travel and services.

so $80,000 is about 25 Kristens over 6 years :shrug:

think of the tax revenue! what kind of sin tax could you levy on prostitution!

the mind does boggle.

Irvine511 said:
breaking marital vows aside -- which might be awful, but it isn't in and of itself a crime -- why is it, that if i offer someone $20 to shovel my driveway, i've merely paid for services. but if i offer $200 to have sex with me, it's a crime.

i mean this as a serious question.
Or $4500/hour whatever the case may be.

Don't you love having moralistic governance, making prostitution illegal doesn't stop people selling sex; it just ensures that it stays outside the law.

Dr. Laura weighs in

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/11/dr-laura-blames-spitzer_n_90994.html

Eliot Spitzer loves him some whores! How did it ever happen? What drove him to risk his career and marriage? And what does it say about the rest of us? These are the big questions taken up by the Today Show, and look who they got to answer them! Dr. Laura Schlessinger, that's who? Wondering if she said anything vaguely reprehensible? Yeah, kinda she did!

VIEIRA: Do you think women play any role in this, Dr. Laura?

SCHLESSINGER: It's interesting. what you said about what men need -- men do need validation. When they come into the world they're born of a woman. Getting the validation from mommy is the beginning of needing it from a woman. When the wife does not focus in on the needs and the feelings sexually, personally, to make him feel like a man, to make him feel like a success, to make him feel like our hero, he's very susceptible to the charm of some other woman making him feel what he needs. These days, women don't spend a lot of time thinking about how they can give their men what they need.

VIEIRA: Are you saying women should feel guilty, like they somehow drove the man to cheat?

SCHLESSINGER: You know what, the cheating was his decision to repair what's damaged, and to feed himself where he's starving. But, yes, I hold women accountable for tossing out perfectly good men by not treating them with the love and kindness and respect and attention they need.

It says on CNN.com that Spitzer will resign at 11:30am :applaud: :yippie: :dance:

MrsSpringsteen said:
Dr. Laura weighs in

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/03/11/dr-laura-blames-spitzer_n_90994.html

Eliot Spitzer loves him some whores! How did it ever happen? What drove him to risk his career and marriage? And what does it say about the rest of us? These are the big questions taken up by the Today Show, and look who they got to answer them! Dr. Laura Schlessinger, that's who? Wondering if she said anything vaguely reprehensible? Yeah, kinda she did!

VIEIRA: Do you think women play any role in this, Dr. Laura?

SCHLESSINGER: It's interesting. what you said about what men need -- men do need validation. When they come into the world they're born of a woman. Getting the validation from mommy is the beginning of needing it from a woman. When the wife does not focus in on the needs and the feelings sexually, personally, to make him feel like a man, to make him feel like a success, to make him feel like our hero, he's very susceptible to the charm of some other woman making him feel what he needs. These days, women don't spend a lot of time thinking about how they can give their men what they need.

VIEIRA: Are you saying women should feel guilty, like they somehow drove the man to cheat?

SCHLESSINGER: You know what, the cheating was his decision to repair what's damaged, and to feed himself where he's starving. But, yes, I hold women accountable for tossing out perfectly good men by not treating them with the love and kindness and respect and attention they need.

Whatever, Dr. Laura.

MrsSpringsteen said:
Well some of the people who commented there agree with her.

I took a look, and noticed some of those who liked what she said were probably men, judging by their screen names. I makes me wonder, is this the way a lot of men feel, or are these men just plain sexist?

But that's probably a whole new thread.

Pearl said:

I took a look, and noticed some of those who liked what she said were probably men, judging by their screen names. I makes me wonder, is this the way a lot of men feel, or are these men just plain sexist?

Some women agree with her too-and not just there. Some agree because they want to believe they can have control that way and that their guy will never stray as a result. Some agree for other reasons.

As for the men I think that would be individual-some are sexist, some just want to avoid personal responsibility for their misdeeds and blame them on someone else. Any guy with a healthy self concept and a healthy level of humility, integrity, and honesty would take responsibility for spending 80 grand (or whatever amount) on call girls- and he wouldn't say that his wife/gf was not sufficiently making him feel like a hero. A guy earns that, it's not a God given right to be made to feel that way by another person. Just like a woman earns that too.

Men should feel just as insulted by what she said (says). I wonder if she would also say that women will go to male prostitutes for the same reasons.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom