I guess spitzer resigns? - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2008, 02:03 PM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:10 AM
He's a handsome man.

dbs

Old 03-13-2008, 02:38 PM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:10 PM
From what I've heard he sounds like a very decent guy and not your typical politician.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:48 PM   #153
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 01:10 PM
he does seem like a pretty remarkable guy... perhaps spitzer getting his jollies on will work out for the best
Old 03-13-2008, 03:00 PM   #154
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
he does seem like a pretty remarkable guy... perhaps spitzer getting his jollies on will work out for the best
agreed. he's much more progressive, which is definitely something to look forward to.

have any charges been filed against spitzer?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #155
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by unico

he's much more progressive, which is definitely something to look forward to.

Are you a New York taxpayer?
Old 03-13-2008, 03:42 PM   #156
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

i will be very soon
wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Old 03-13-2008, 08:02 PM   #157
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:10 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Actually that's an errant cliche.

I say Gardening is the oldest profession and existed before prostitution.

dbs
Sex for benefit would have existed before agriculture.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #158
War Child

Kristen is a U2 fan.

http://www.myspace.com/ninavenetta
Old 03-13-2008, 09:48 PM   #159
War Child

Could she be an interlander?

Old 03-14-2008, 12:30 AM   #160
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Windmilllane
Kristen is a U2 fan

When is this chick getting arrested for bein' a hooker and stuff?
Old 03-14-2008, 03:09 AM   #161
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:10 PM
An interesting opinion piece from the NY Times.

Op-Ed Columnist
The Rank-Link Imbalance

By DAVID BROOKS
Published: March 14, 2008

"Every society produces its own distinct brand of social misfits, I suppose, but our social structure seems to produce significant numbers of people with rank-link imbalances. That is to say, they have all of the social skills required to improve their social rank, but none of the social skills that lead to genuine bonding. They are good at vertical relationships with mentors and bosses, but bad at horizontal relationships with friends and lovers.

Perhaps they grow up in homes with an intense success ethos and get fed into the Achievatron, the complex social machine that takes young children and molds them into Ivy League valedictorians.

They go through the oboe practice, soccer camp, homework marathon childhood. Their parent-teacher conferences are like mini-Hall of Fame enshrinements as all gather to worship at the flame of their incipient success. In high school, they enter their Alpha Geekdom. They rack up great grades and develop that coating of arrogance that forms on those who know that in the long run they will be more successful than the beauties and jocks who get dates.

Then they go into one of those fields like law, medicine or politics, where a person’s identity is defined by career rank. They develop the specific social skills that are useful on the climb up the greasy pole: the capacity to imply false intimacy; the ability to remember first names; the subtle skills of effective deference; the willingness to stand too close to other men while talking and touching them in a manly way.

And, of course, these people succeed and enjoy their success. When Bigness descends upon them, they dominate every room they enter and graciously share their company with those who are thrilled to meet them. They master the patois of globaloney — the ability to declaim for portentous minutes about the revolution in world affairs brought about by technological change/environmental degradation/the fundamental decline in moral values.

They treat their conversational partners the way the Nazis treated Poland. They crush initial resistance, and the onslaught of accumulated narcissism is finally too much to bear.

But then, gradually, some cruel cosmic joke gets played on them. They realize in middle age that their grandeur is not enough and that they are lonely. The ordinariness of their intimate lives is made more painful by the exhilaration of their public success. If they were used to limits in public life, maybe it would be easier to accept the everydayness of middle-aged passion. But, of course, they are not.

And so the crisis comes. Perhaps alpha male gorillas don’t wake up in the middle of the night feeling sorry for themselves because “nobody knows the real me.” But those of us in the business of covering the great and the powerful know that human leaders have an almost limitless capacity for self-pity.

They seek to heal the hurt. Maybe they frequent prostitutes because transactional relationships are something they understand. But in other cases, they just act like complete idiots.

I don’t know if you’ve seen a successful politician or business tycoon get drunk and make a pass at a woman. It’s like watching a St. Bernard try to French kiss. It’s all overbearing, slobbering, desperate wanting. There’s no self-control, no dignity.

These Type A men are just not equipped to have normal relationships. All their lives they’ve been a walking Asperger’s Convention, the kings of the emotionally avoidant. Because of disuse, their sensitivity synapses are still performing at preschool levels.

So when they decide that they do in fact have an inner soul and it’s time to take it out for a romp ... . Well, let’s just say they’ve just bought a ticket on the self-immolation express. Some desperate lunge toward intimacy is sure to follow, some sad attempt at bonding. Welcome to the land of the wide stance.

Maybe they’d be O.K. if somewhere along the way they’d had true friends, defined as a group of people who share a mutual inability to take each other seriously. Maybe they’d be prepared for what is about to happen if they’d subordinated their quest for immortality to the joys of domestic ridicule.

But they are completely unprepared. And in the middle of some perfectly enjoyable dinner party, a woman will suddenly find a tongue in her ear.

I once visited a home in which the host had photos of himself delivering commencement addresses lining the stairway wall. I’ve heard countless presidential candidates say they are running on behalf of their families even though their entire lives have been spent on the campaign trail away from their families.

These are rank-link tragedies waiting to happen. The reputation recovery interview on “Larry King” is but a few steps away. "
Old 03-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #162
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500

yes. would it make you feel better if i said it instead? here ya go.

he's much more progressive, which is definitely something to look forward to.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:16 AM   #163
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Windmilllane
Kristen is a U2 fan.

http://www.myspace.com/ninavenetta

Old 03-14-2008, 09:32 AM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Sex for benefit would have existed before agriculture.
only for the animals; not mankind.

dbs
Old 03-14-2008, 11:55 AM   #165
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:10 PM