I Fund Terrorism

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
And I really don't like it.

The commisars who are on the recieving end of the mandatory unionism fees that I have to pay every year seem to have given some funds to a very shady individual, I hope that the investigation blows the lid on all their expenditure of the money that my peers and I are forces to give them.
MONASH University's student union is facing a Federal Government probe after it gave financial support to an Iraqi oil worker with links to the insurgency.

Attorney-General Philip Ruddock has been asked to investigate whether the $1000 payment to Foraok Isma'al broke Australian law. The university's Clayton union, the Monash Student Association, was among several groups that helped sponsor the unionist's political tour of Australia this year, as reported by the Herald Sun last month.

The union defended its decision, even though Mr Isma'al's organisation, the Southern Oil Workers Union, supports insurgents fighting coalition forces in Iraq.
link

There is no accountability, every student has to pay 300 dollars in union fees every year to subsidise services that most people don't use, political activism and in this case some very shady funding.

The concept of mandatory unionism is a fucking joke, I cannot wait until the government enacts voluntary student unionism and gives the individual right of freedom of association to university students.

Yeah, well, that usually pales in comparison to the shady dealings that most national governments spend your money on. At least this shady dealing is actually getting an investigation.

Melon

It's good to be reminded that most Australians aren't patsies for the criminal terrorist neo-con agenda. :applaud:

financeguy said:
It's good to be reminded that most Australians aren't patsies for the criminal terrorist neo-con agenda. :applaud:
Can you clarify this.

Do you believe that funding towards individuals or groups that support targeting of coalition troops is a good thing?

i wouldnt worry wanderer, your hero Howard will abolish student union fees and then nobody will have to worry anymore.

Luckily for me I will almost certainly never return to a university. I had my shot, and i flubbed it.

No you didn't. You were lucky you went when you did.

A_Wanderer, no offense but I didn't believe Australians like you existed until I virtually 'met' you. Would you like to trade places with me? I have a feeling you would be much happier in the USA and I would be much happier in Melbourne.

Calluna said:
No you didn't. You were lucky you went when you did.

A_Wanderer, no offense but I didn't believe Australians like you existed until I virtually 'met' you. Would you like to trade places with me? I have a feeling you would be much happier in the USA and I would be much happier in Melbourne.
I doubt it.

Calluna you wouldn't be happier in Melbourne, or rather, couldn't be. Howard's hell bent on fucking up Australia as much as he can before he either gets shot, dies of old age, or the ALP make hell freeze over and put up a suitable oppononent.

We sure are the lucky country!
:happy:

forgot to add the disclaimer that I in no way wish for the demise of the PM.
cos, god knows, these wheels of internet justice sure do grind!
:rolleyes:

Angela Harlem said:
Calluna you wouldn't be happier in Melbourne, or rather, couldn't be. Howard's hell bent on fucking up Australia as much as he can before he either gets shot, dies of old age, or the ALP make hell freeze over and put up a suitable oppononent.

We sure are the lucky country!
:happy:
However bad it gets over there it still seems better in comparison to what we have here. I know Howard is pretty bad but he is a hell of a lot better than Bush. Plus I have friends and family in Australia, as you know and Melbourne is supposed to be wonderful.

A_Wanderer said:
Can you clarify this.

Do you believe that funding towards individuals or groups that support targeting of coalition troops is a good thing?

My response was facetious.

However you would do well to remember that the founders of the USA, Ireland and modern day S Africa (for example) were at one time regarded as 'terrorists'.

But no to answer your question vis a vis Iraq I don't believe funding for such groups is a good thing. I am morally neutral on the subject. Both sides are equally revolting to me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom