I Freed My Mind....HAVE YOU

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreadsox

ONE love, blood, life
OK...Well, since it seems that I am no longer in the conservative club here at FYM......I have somehow been booted out of the group because I have been rather harsh in my criticism of President Bush.....I have been asking myself the following question.....

HAS ANYONE's MIND BEEN FREED? HAS COMING HERE EVER CHANGED YOUR MIND ON AN ISSUE? OR DO YOU COME HERE FOR THE FUN OF DEBATE AND ARGUMENT?

This forum always makes me think. I know that I've reformed my views on abortion, for example, because of some things I have read here (though I'm still very technically pro-choice, I'm more critical of abortion).

FYM has also strenghtened my stance on some issues, like gay rights and the separation of church and state.

i am much more aware of international opinion since coming to fym and i would say it has influenced my stances on some issues, somewhat.

i would say i have become very narrow-minded, a bigot, and prejudiced in several ways. :up:

in seriousness, like ive said before, i used to support the republicans back in 2000. id say this place helped in persuading me to the other team, if you know what i mean...:sexywink:

bear-
u r not sexy.
however we love your avatar and status.

believe it or not this place has

modified and softened
some of my views.

i didnt know that america was so misunderstood..until i arrived here.

diamond
bruno

Last edited:
Matt,

By reading your posts, I have always felt that you have a more democratic attitude. As I would say I'm a Democrat, I have been trying to understand why you chose to say your are Republican when I agree with you in most posts. I even started a thread in your honor to get some insight!

http://forum2.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72788&perpage=30&highlight=democrat%20republican&pagenumber=1

While I'm not sure I've really changed my mind about things, I have become more accepting of other views.

Anne

I think I am learning to express my views verbally better, and to have the confidence to do this. In other words, I'm learning how to exercise my freedom of speech rights, thus "freeing my mind". As an autistic, this has been a big time struggle for me to learn how to do. But this sure is a great place to learn because it's nice. I don't have to worry about some :censored: posting nasty notes or whatever. That's why I love Interference, period. Thanks everyone, and peace.

Last edited:
verte76 said:
I think I am learning to express my views verbally better, and to have the confidence to do this. In other words, I'm learning how to exercise my freedom of speech rights, thus "freeing my mind".

How wonderfully put verte76! I have also been learning to express my views better.

diamond said:
bear-
u r not sexy.
however we love your avatar and status.

believe it or not this place has

modified and softened
some of my views.

i didnt know that america was so misunderstood..until i arrived here.

diamond
bruno

you do realize im below the legal age of consent, right? :wink:

oh yeah... :shifty: I freed my mind big time...

but my brain flew away, and my IQ has dropped to :der:

Um.

No, I haven't really changed my mind because of FYM. I have gotten some answers to questions, but I usually only post questions when I need facts and opinions on something I know nothing about. I'm quite comfortable with my long-standing (and sometimes noisy) liberal views. I've always supported choice for women, unequivocally opposed capital punishment, and believed in maintaining the separation of church and state.

So, I'm liberal and quite proud of it. I don't see the negativity of that label. :wink:

martha said:
I'm quite comfortable with my long-standing (and sometimes noisy) liberal views.

Ummm...Martha...Martha...that quiet girl...ahhh yes...the quiet one

:kiss:

Dreadsox said:
OK... DO YOU COME HERE FOR THE FUN OF DEBATE AND ARGUMENT?

I have been thinking about starting a thread in here.

NO MORE DEBATES IN FYM.

The concept of debate suggests that one side score a victory.

I like FYM as a concept of a discussion group, where people share their views and give supporting evidence.

Many times I learned things in here that contribute to my information gathering process. My opinions are always open to change with new credible information.
I am not so arrogant to believe I have all the correct information and I will not subjugate my opinions to so-called leaders who know what is best. I am a skeptic.

sceptic.] 1. One who is yet undecided as to what is true; one who is looking or inquiring for what is true; an inquirer after facts or reasons.

joy is not the goal

perhaps some satisfation.

If you want joy.

They say; ignorance is bliss

Gickies Gageeze said:
i would say i have become very narrow-minded, a bigot, and prejudiced in several ways. :up:

in seriousness, like ive said before, i used to support the republicans back in 2000. id say this place helped in persuading me to the other team, if you know what i mean...:sexywink:

Last time i checked you still lived in Canada. Dont be brainwashed.

Dreadsox:
imho discussions for me seem to be useless if one or both sides are unwilling to believe the other party could be right and i could be wrong.

Because of that i allways try to "ajust" my point of view in each discussion. Because of that some leftists threw me out of their club 10 years ago ;)

Klaus

I still think equality among all people is paramount, that sexuality, gender and socio-economic status should not define us, I think abortion is wrong but not to be decided by me alone, I think guns have no place outside the army, I think criminals need to be treated as such and no free rides for anyone who thinks they are above the law, I still think the 10 commandments are a pretty good basis for making the rules in our lives but I spose in hypocritical way think not enough people share this and yet too many people take the words of the Bible too literally.
I know in many cases I may be wrong, but there are many times there is no right either.
I dont think I have changed, but I have learned the opposing views in an intelligent and respectful environment. If I have freed my mind as a result, I am happy enough with that.

Mr Deep
isnt the purpose of life is so that men might find joy?
if u find occassional satisifaction in your skeptism...umm ok.:)
my quest is joy.:)

Diamond

I've definitely gotten more insight here about religion and gay rights and abortion and politics. at least its been a point of view other than my own.

bonoman said:

Last time i checked you still lived in Canada. Dont be brainwashed.

actually, ive been living in ghana for the past 78 years, but i still consider myself to be american.

I think it's important to here the other side of the arguement, if only to confirm your own convictions. Ideological arguements are not winnable, perse, and it's also important to remember that to exclude the other side, or to dismiss the otherside is very dangerous. I speek specifically refering to US politics. I'm a Republican, and firmly believe my party has the right vision for America. This is not to say that outright dismiss the Democrats as always being wrong. There are many who are blinded by their ideology, and refuse to see the otherside, and are to quick to dismiss it. Others are so blinded that they feel that there beliefs are always right, or their party is always right. For example, in the Bush thread, I firmly support our President, I feel that he is doing what is right in regards to education, taxes & foreign policy. However, I am concerned over his, and the Republican party's unfocused environmental policy. They are to dismissive of the studies that show the acceleration of Global warming due to a possible correlation with an increase in co2 emmisions. I don't know whether the science is right here, Rapid warming and rapid cooling have been seen before in the ecological record, however, to dismiss the possibilty of these studies being accurate is dangerous. I'm also concerned over the party's gay rights platform. While I don't believe that gay couples should be allowed to adopt children, I see nothing wrong with acknowledging a union between them, with all the rights and priviledges that a traditional married couple recieves.
I think in the end, it really comes down to neither side being absolutly right or wrong. The purpose of debate should be to explain yourside, and in the end hope that the otherside has taken your views into account, and questioned their own beliefs, to see if they still hold true.

Last edited:
I have changed my views a lot on some issues. Not completely turned around, but I acknowledge that people who are not my opinion have good arguments too. Two examples: Abortion and Iraq.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom