I Freed My Mind....HAVE YOU - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2003, 05:39 PM   #46
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

I recently came across an article than questioned this statistic. It is one that has been thrown around in the press so often that everyone just assumes its true. The article found studies which suggested a divorce rate of anywhere from 10% to 28%.
While I'm no expert or anything, that seems a bit low based on personal experience. However who knows, I would suspect that worldwide, the numbers are rather lower. but that's still just a guess.

Old 03-04-2003, 07:01 PM   #47
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Please consider spinning off further debates about homosexuality/gay adoption into a separate thread. I know there are no hijackers here; just a friendly reminder...

Join Amnesty.
Old 03-04-2003, 11:56 PM   #48
Refugee

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
dread
was
playing
us
all
tonight and qwite well i might add

DB9
I don't get what you meant by this??
Old 03-06-2003, 11:44 AM   #49
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

In studies, children raised by homosexuals are perfectly normal and well-adjusted. The only problems noted was the flack these children can get from bigoted heterosexuals who seem to have a problem with it. And fears about "turning the children gay" is fearmongering rhetoric. It isn't happening.
I have to disagree here. For any psychological study to carry respectable weight, decades of observation of the participants must be carried out, including evaluations of their adult lives, relationships socially, with mates, with their own children, etc.

The simple fact is that gay marriages and adoptions have not been around long enough or in significant enough numbers for exhaustive studies to be performed in this regard.

In addition, an examination of who was doing the study, who it was funded by and what the control variables were can sometimes highlight some apprehension of subjectivity or perhaps even bias.

And from the studies that are out there, the problems that I noted and learned about centred more on some of the children's natural inclination to form heterosexual relationships, but having conflict with a deep-seated issue of displeasing or somehow going contrary to their gay parent's overt or implied wishes, much like a child may harbor a secret guilt for becoming an actor rather than following in his father's footsteps and taking over the family business.

Now, as for the decades of research that HAVE been carried out on well-adjusted adults of all sexual persuasions, the studies are conclusive that a person, male or female, requires the proper mix of masculine and feminine adult influence on a daily/regular basis to grow into a well rounded person. A gay couple cannot ever give that to a child, and there is no study now or in the next 100 years that will be able to disprove that.

Therefore, putting aside any personal or societal beliefs on what is a 'normal' or 'abnormal' family, for the benefit of future generations of children I am against gay couple adoptions.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~october/images/sheeep.jpg

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyagu_Anaykus View Post
Interference is my Earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvox View Post
Consequently, Earth is an experimental disaster.

If you keep going, you have only your self to blame

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Interferencer On The Damn Planet View Post
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
too sexy for that god-damned headset
I told you

Old 03-06-2003, 12:20 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

gabrielvox, so are you saying that all single-parent children are going to be bad? And are you saying that all heterosexuals are good parents? I think a child will take two loving gay parents over two abusive heterosexual parents.

The fact that sexuality is even in the equation dehumanizes everyone involved. People shouldn't be defined by "gay" or "straight," but by the quality of their character. I'm sure these same arguments were levelled in debate against multi-racial adoptions; that a white child wouldn't be "white" if raised by black parents. Can you see how ridiculous those arguments are, and how ridiculous these are?

Melon
Old 03-06-2003, 12:25 PM   #51
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by gabrielvox
Now, as for the decades of research that HAVE been carried out on well-adjusted adults of all sexual persuasions, the studies are conclusive that a person, male or female, requires the proper mix of masculine and feminine adult influence on a daily/regular basis to grow into a well rounded person. A gay couple cannot ever give that to a child, and there is no study now or in the next 100 years that will be able to disprove that.
That's absolutely preposterous. Where is this "decades of research"?

I'm offended by this statement on so many levels that I will cease arguing now to avoid burning this entire thread into flames.

I guarantee you. If you happen to be so lucky as to have a gay child someday, you'll change your mind when you can put a human face on this offensive generalization.

Melon
Old 03-06-2003, 01:39 PM   #52
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

A gay couple cannot ever give that to a child, and there is no study now or in the next 100 years that will be able to disprove that.
Ummmm.....This sentence is wrong in so many ways. I speak from family experience here.

Take a moment and think about what you are saying Gabrielle, NO study now or in the next 100 years?

This is a pretty strong prediction.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:43 PM   #53
Ghost of Love

Quote:
I think a child will take two loving gay parents over two abusive heterosexual parents.

I'm not making any statement about the sexuality of the parents. Nor am I making any inferences about the abusive/nonabusive-ness of any parents, gay or straight. Why are you Melon? This is troubling that you've chosen this tack when normally you tend to post very objectively.

The hard fact remains that gay parents are of the same sex, therefore cannot fulfill the unique needs of a child of having two different sexes in the house to influence the child.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 03-06-2003, 02:49 PM   #54
Ghost of Love

Quote:

That's absolutely preposterous. Where is this "decades of research"?

I'm offended by this statement on so many levels that I will cease arguing now to avoid burning this entire thread into flames.

I guarantee you. If you happen to be so lucky as to have a gay child someday, you'll change your mind when you can put a human face on this offensive generalization.

Melon
Melon, I'm quite shocked. My statement is not preposterous in the least bit. I don't need to quote any of the sources for the research that has been done in the last 50-100 years that indicates that children from single-parent families are not afforded the same balance in terms of masculine and feminine influence as are their peers where there is only one parent, and hence only one sex represented. It is readily available to anyone taking a first year psychology course for pete's sake.

It has nothing to do with whether the parents are gay or not, it is the simple logistics of not having a constant male and female prescence and influence.

That you are taking offense to this fact in terms of somehow reading that I am making an anti-gay or anti-anything statement is what is preposterous.

As for your last statement, dude, take time and maybe consider editing it. So 'lucky to have a child who is gay'? I'll tell you what, I feel 'lucky' and thank God that I have been blessed with 2 beautiful healthy children, irrespective of what paths they chose sexually or otherwise.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 03-06-2003, 02:52 PM   #55
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Therefore, putting aside any personal or societal beliefs on what is a 'normal' or 'abnormal' family, for the benefit of future generations of children I am against gay couple adoptions.
I think you've made your comments about the sexuality of the parents very clear; and I strongly disagree with them.

The fact of the matter remains that this is generally a non-issue in the U.S. 46 states have made it legal for couples and 3 for singles. Children raised by homosexuals are just as well-adjusted as children of heterosexuals, and I don't need any bloody studies to tell me that--even though they do tell us that.

The fact of the matter is that if you are looking for this idyllic 1950s family with strictly assigned gender roles, you won't find it anywhere, except in 1950s fictional television. The fact of the matter is that many people are unfit as parents anyway, but that doesn't stop them from having them.

Melon
Old 03-06-2003, 02:54 PM   #56
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
As for your last statement, dude, take time and maybe consider editing it. So 'lucky to have a child who is gay'? I'll tell you what, I feel 'lucky' and thank God that I have been blessed with 2 beautiful healthy children, irrespective of what paths they chose sexually or otherwise.
So if one of them was gay and had a same-sex spouse, would you be against them adopting children? Or would you be against it?

Melon
Old 03-06-2003, 02:56 PM   #57
ONE
love, blood, life

And I apologize if I get angry with this topic. There is nothing more that infuriates me than people / entities that try and institute double standards on the basis of sexuality; and if the world is a fair place, the good state of Massachusetts will be the first one to legalize gay marriage, not seperate-but-equal "civil unions."

Melon
Old 03-06-2003, 02:58 PM   #58
Ghost of Love

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Ummmm.....This sentence is wrong in so many ways. I speak from family experience here.

Take a moment and think about what you are saying Gabrielle, NO study now or in the next 100 years?

This is a pretty strong prediction.
Well you know me and my over the top statements, but what I'm saying is that until someone can prove to me that a gay male will be able to offer the feminine emotional, physical and mental stimulation that a boy or girl gets from their mother, I don't think I need to rethink the prediction.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 03-06-2003, 03:02 PM   #59
Ghost of Love

Quote:

The fact of the matter remains that this is generally a non-issue in the U.S. 46 states have made it legal for couples and 3 for singles. Children raised by homosexuals are just as well-adjusted as children of heterosexuals, and I don't need any bloody studies to tell me that--even though they do tell us that.
And again, it is true that it is factually correct that this has been made legal in many states.

However the second sentence should be separated. It cannot be conclusively stated as fact for the simple fact that not enough time has elapsed since these policies began to make a decent study of it.

Don't push this button:

I'm serious, don't!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Edge:
too sexy for his amp
too sexy for his cap
I told you

Old 03-06-2003, 03:03 PM   #60
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
but what I'm saying is that until someone can prove to me that a gay male will be able to offer the feminine emotional, physical and mental stimulation that a boy or girl gets from their mother, I don't think I need to rethink the prediction.
How amusing...Western cultural bigotries rear its ugly head again. What about a lesbian couple? It always goes down to disgust over gay males, mostly because society immediately thinks of how children would be raised, if done by two straight males. Men should be insulted by such a statement, because it implies that men are automatically bad parents and women are automatically good parents. How often does the court system, in divorce cases, give the children to the mother? That's right. Almost always.

FYI, it is a phenomenon, but, if you didn't know this, in both gay and lesbian couples, one usually takes on the emotional equivalent of the opposite sex. The "dominant" (father) figure and the "subordinate" (mother) figure. I think the best couples are the ones that don't take either polar opposite and have both elements--and that happens a lot.

Trust me on this. You don't have to worry about this.

Melon