I Freed My Mind....HAVE YOU - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2003, 12:50 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:50 AM
Re: I Freed My Mind....HAVE YOU

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
OK... DO YOU COME HERE FOR THE FUN OF DEBATE AND ARGUMENT?
I have been thinking about starting a thread in here.

NO MORE DEBATES IN FYM.

The concept of debate suggests that one side score a victory.

I like FYM as a concept of a discussion group, where people share their views and give supporting evidence.

Many times I learned things in here that contribute to my information gathering process. My opinions are always open to change with new credible information.
I am not so arrogant to believe I have all the correct information and I will not subjugate my opinions to so-called leaders who know what is best. I am a skeptic.

Old 03-04-2003, 01:22 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Professor Deep
Do yo find "joy" in your skepticism?

Diamond

Old 03-04-2003, 01:56 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

sceptic.] 1. One who is yet undecided as to what is true; one who is looking or inquiring for what is true; an inquirer after facts or reasons.

joy is not the goal

perhaps some satisfation.

If you want joy.

They say; ignorance is bliss
Old 03-04-2003, 02:05 AM   #19
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Gickies Gageeze
i would say i have become very narrow-minded, a bigot, and prejudiced in several ways.

in seriousness, like ive said before, i used to support the republicans back in 2000. id say this place helped in persuading me to the other team, if you know what i mean...
Last time i checked you still lived in Canada. Dont be brainwashed.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:46 AM   #20
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 11:50 AM
Dreadsox:
imho discussions for me seem to be useless if one or both sides are unwilling to believe the other party could be right and i could be wrong.

Because of that i allways try to "ajust" my point of view in each discussion. Because of that some leftists threw me out of their club 10 years ago

Klaus
Old 03-04-2003, 06:47 AM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 06:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
dread
was
playing
us
all
tonight and qwite well i might add

DB9
Don't we usually use this

when we are joking around here?
Old 03-04-2003, 07:06 AM   #22
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:50 PM
I still think equality among all people is paramount, that sexuality, gender and socio-economic status should not define us, I think abortion is wrong but not to be decided by me alone, I think guns have no place outside the army, I think criminals need to be treated as such and no free rides for anyone who thinks they are above the law, I still think the 10 commandments are a pretty good basis for making the rules in our lives but I spose in hypocritical way think not enough people share this and yet too many people take the words of the Bible too literally.
I know in many cases I may be wrong, but there are many times there is no right either.
I dont think I have changed, but I have learned the opposing views in an intelligent and respectful environment. If I have freed my mind as a result, I am happy enough with that.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:09 AM   #23
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:50 PM
Argh. Call the grammar police and replace those commas with full stops where applicable.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:08 AM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Mr Deep
isnt the purpose of life is so that men might find joy?
if u find occassional satisifaction in your skeptism...umm ok.
my quest is joy.

Diamond
Old 03-04-2003, 10:19 AM   #25
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:50 AM
I've definitely gotten more insight here about religion and gay rights and abortion and politics. at least its been a point of view other than my own.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:59 AM   #26
Purgatory

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bonoman

Last time i checked you still lived in Canada. Dont be brainwashed.
actually, ive been living in ghana for the past 78 years, but i still consider myself to be american.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:13 PM   #27
Acrobat

Local Time: 05:50 AM
I think it's important to here the other side of the arguement, if only to confirm your own convictions. Ideological arguements are not winnable, perse, and it's also important to remember that to exclude the other side, or to dismiss the otherside is very dangerous. I speek specifically refering to US politics. I'm a Republican, and firmly believe my party has the right vision for America. This is not to say that outright dismiss the Democrats as always being wrong. There are many who are blinded by their ideology, and refuse to see the otherside, and are to quick to dismiss it. Others are so blinded that they feel that there beliefs are always right, or their party is always right. For example, in the Bush thread, I firmly support our President, I feel that he is doing what is right in regards to education, taxes & foreign policy. However, I am concerned over his, and the Republican party's unfocused environmental policy. They are to dismissive of the studies that show the acceleration of Global warming due to a possible correlation with an increase in co2 emmisions. I don't know whether the science is right here, Rapid warming and rapid cooling have been seen before in the ecological record, however, to dismiss the possibilty of these studies being accurate is dangerous. I'm also concerned over the party's gay rights platform. While I don't believe that gay couples should be allowed to adopt children, I see nothing wrong with acknowledging a union between them, with all the rights and priviledges that a traditional married couple recieves.
I think in the end, it really comes down to neither side being absolutly right or wrong. The purpose of debate should be to explain yourside, and in the end hope that the otherside has taken your views into account, and questioned their own beliefs, to see if they still hold true.
Old 03-04-2003, 12:53 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:50 PM
I have changed my views a lot on some issues. Not completely turned around, but I acknowledge that people who are not my opinion have good arguments too. Two examples: Abortion and Iraq.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:03 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
isnt the purpose of life is so that men might find joy?
No. That we may glorify God.
Old 03-04-2003, 01:08 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

No. That we may glorify God.
i think that by glorifying God is how man finds true joy and everlasting hapiness.

Diamond