I find it QUITE Offensive that some "FANS" seem to think that.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono is basically a polictal-sell out, compromising his personal integrity -some even suggesting that he would do "ANYTHING" (polictally) insomuch so long as that "the ends jusity the means".
That he is sucking up to The Republicans and that The Republicans are sucking up to him.
The person that I know, understand and love has much more scrupples and SUBSTANCE than those opininons proffered.

What do the members here think?

Thank You-
Diamond

I think Bono is a lot more intelligent than some people in the media and around here seem to want to give him credit for. Bono has been around the block, he's not naive, and he's smart enough not to let himself be used by politicians with bad intentions. And for the last fucking time, making an actual difference in the world is a lot more important than keeping some flawed and pretentious political affiliation. Even if this fails, it will not be out of some visceral, bleeding-heart blindness or ignorance, or because Bono was manipulated by some PR-hungry politician.

And anyone is a jackass who sits here and says that Bono is a sell-out for meeting with the President of the United States, or the Prime Minister of Great Britain, or the Treasurer of the World Bank, or Billionaire Bill Gates in an effort to try and make the difference in keeping these issues from being ignored and buried in political and public indifference/ignorance. Bono sure as hell has my full blessing, and I'm stunned that anyone else who studied the situation would feel differently.

[This message has been edited by The Wanderer (edited 04-03-2002).]

i think Bono should lay off the political mumbo jumbo and concentrate on the next album. that should be his #1 priority, he's a singer.

[This message has been edited by CannibalisticArtist (edited 04-03-2002).]

Can't say anything else then that I agree with you both.
I can't see why people look down on him because who he works with when he obviously does a difference.

Bono has my fullest support and I trust that he makes the right decision in all this. He knows these issues better then most others, and what needs to be done.

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
I'm stunned that anyone else who studied the situation would feel differently.

great post wanderer. the fact that there is so much opposition to the whole DATA movement has also surprised me as it is an organization whose ideals and objectives are firmly grounded within the realities of developmental economics. this isn't a far flung concept, it makes sense. economic and social sense.

some of the reactions to this effort on DATA's part and all the other involved charities obviously have been disappointing, but i guess expected as well.

------------------
pssst: gravity pushes.

Originally posted by CannibalisticArtist:
i think Bono should lay off the political mumbo jumbo and concentrate on the next album. that should be his #1 priority, he's a singer.

I feel that most of us don't do enough to help other people, myself included, and that we should look to Bono as a role model of how one person's actions really can make a difference.

I would be willing to give up U2, if Bono wanted to focus full time on helping people, and even if he saved only one life, it would be worth it. I love the band just as much as the rest of you, and my life would be very different without their music, but no matter what way you look at it, a human life is more important then a rock band!

------------------
***Spinny***
"I don't know about you, but I feel good about the fact that I still haven't found what I'm looking for"-Bono, 1987

"Be uncool, yes be akward!"

Thankfully some in the press are taking Bono's actions seriously, and realize that this is more than just a rock star working for his own glory:
(this was published in the Boston Globe last week, sorry if it's already been posted in here) http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/news/nation/2948009.htm

Foreign aid turnaround might be thanks to Bono
BY JOHN DONNELLY
Boston Globe

WASHINGTON ? The turning point in the debate over U.S. foreign aid may have come when rock star Bono and Sen. Jesse Helms of North Carolina began quoting Scripture to each other.

From that private meeting last year, Helms aides say, the conservative and deeply religious senator began questioning why the United States wasn't doing much more to fight AIDS in Africa.

The climate in Washington to dramatically increase foreign assistance to poor countries is better than it has been in years. President Bush last week pledged a 50 percent increase in aid over four years. Helms, inspired by his tete-a-tete with Bono, lead singer of the band U2, has also called for an additional $500 million ? most of it aimed at stopping the transmission of AIDS from mother to child. And Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill has said the United Nations' goal to improve the plight of the poor is far too modest.

There's a catch, though: U.S. officials want proof that the money works.

"What you want to do is put the aid in areas where it's going to work," said John Taylor, Treasury's undersecretary for international affairs. "You need to measure the output of aid."

For many aid proponents, that request is not unreasonable.

"I don't worry about that at all," said David Nabarro, executive director at the World Health Organization's office of the director-general. "It's a responsible line to be taking."

The leaders of the United Nations and the World Bank have pushed the United States in recent years to substantially increase foreign assistance from its current 0.1 percent of gross domestic product, or $11 billion. The Bush proposal for $5 billion in additional funding by 2006, which needs approval of Congress, would still leave the U.S. government lagging far behind the percentage of donations from other wealthy countries. European Union nations recently agreed to donate an average of 0.39 percent of their GDP by 2006.

But some aid advocates, such as Harvard's Jeffrey Sachs, think that the Bush administration's plan and Helms' new statements signal the beginning of a substantial ramp-up in foreign assistance.

"This is a big breakthrough," Sachs said. "With the AIDS pandemic completely running out of control, with the increasing instability in dozens of countries around the world, I think that September 11th was the decisive turning point."

Sachs said the administration's proposal "is really a change in direction. It's not an added budget number here and there. I think it's bigger than even the government appreciates. ? There are some remarkable things to be done, and there's the pull of the world wanting U.S. leadership ? not just U.S. money ? but U.S. leadership in this."

When Helms and Bono met, the rock star chose passages from the Bible about Jesus urging followers to help the unfortunate, which Helms said Bono interpreted to include AIDS victims. Later, that view was endorsed by Franklin Graham, head of the Christian charity Samaritan's Purse and son of evangelist Billy Graham, whom Bono later visited.

"Senator Helms said ? that with Bono you can see the halo around his head," said Helms spokesman Lester Munson. "He's not a fan of his rock 'n' roll stuff, but he's a fan of Bono as a man."

The turnabout ? notable when compared with the Clinton administration's less ambitious foreign aid packages, some of which were opposed by Helms ? was accelerated by the Bush administration's desire to go to last week's U.N. conference in Monterrey, Mexico, with something to offer developing nations. The push came from National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and O'Neill, administration officials said.

O'Neill has been sharply critical of the effectiveness of foreign aid in the past, saying developing countries had received "trillions of dollars over the years with precious little to show for it." But O'Neill also said aid has the possibility of restarting economies and improving the lives of the world's have-nots. He has challenged charities and the World Bank to find improved ways of measuring success or failure.

Helms wants that as well, but he is also bothered by his conscience.

"In the end our conscience is answerable to God," Helms wrote in a column published in the Washington Post on Sunday. "Perhaps, in my 81st year, I am too mindful of soon meeting Him, but I know that, like the Samaritan traveling from Jerusalem to Jericho, we cannot turn away when we see our fellow man in need."

Originally posted by The Wanderer:

And anyone is a jackass who sits here and says that Bono is a sell-out for meeting with the President of the United States, or the Prime Minister of Great Britain, or the Treasurer of the World Bank, or Billionaire Bill Gates in an effort to try and make the difference in keeping these issues from being ignored and buried in political and public indifference/ignorance. Bono sure as hell has my full blessing, and I'm stunned that anyone else who studied the situation would feel differently.

I agree and so does Adam (from this month's rolling stone)

~~
We wouldn't get any more out of him if he wasn't doing this stuff," Clayton says, noting that it's great fun to watch Bono turn his acuity and Irish charm on politicians and CEOs. These guys don't expect him to have a grasp of the subject matter. He's able to go in with the facts and figures, thalk circles around them, and suddenly, where they thought they were just going to get their picture taken with him, he's gotten something out of them before the picture."

"You can't deny the penetration he has achieved," Clayton says. "And it makes the rest of us realize that what we do is important to the group. We need to keep it going forward, to allow him to come in and out. Bono has a legitimate reason not to be around all the time. And we have a legitimate reason to make sure that the time we are all together is used wisely."
~~

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher

[This message has been edited by oliveu2cm (edited 04-03-2002).]

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
"We need to keep it going forward, to allow him to come in and out. Bono has a legitimate reason not to be around all the time. And we have a legitimate reason to make sure that the time we are all together is used wisely."

hmmmm, more evidence of adam's rift with the band: disagreeing with edge about bono hangin' with republicans(from the bono 'quote')

Originally posted by kobayashi:
hmmmm, more evidence of adam's rift with the band: disagreeing with edge about bono hangin' with republicans(from the bono 'quote')

all this talk about adam's "rift" is such bull- i hate any reference to it. THe guy doesn't show up at one awards ceremony and immediately it's because there's a "rift".

We don't even know Edge said this.. Bono could just be saying this for an effect, since he feels uncomfortable himself being put in those opposing positions. We know Bono exaggerates, even if it's not on purpose. I won't believe Edge's disappointment with Bono until I read it in print from a verifiable magazine and I won't tolerate any speculation of Adam's "rift" until the band splits up b/c he's annoyed or whatever people think the issue is.

Originally posted by Screaming Flower:
i think kobe was kidding.

if he was, a wink smilie would have sufficied. as it stands it seems kobe was serious. and those types of little quips against adam just annoy me.

------------------
She never really belonged to me

U2 Take Me Higher

It doesn' hurt to entertain and help the world at the same time. Bono is a man who has given a lot to the world. He is an inspiration, and if anyone disagrees....... THEIR JUST JEALOUS...... Plus, why should people complain about his outlook when really he is being an honest, caring, and positive individual..... THEIR JOB WAS ALWAYS TO BRING SOME SORT OF HAPPINESS TO THE WORLD... WETHER IT IS WORKING ON AN ALBUM OR FEEDING MOUTHS.

ROCK ON BONO

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
We wouldn't get any more out of him if he wasn't doing this stuff," Clayton says
I think Adam is right in that Bono can manage to combine the two jobs

I think Bono actually needs to stay relevant as a musician to make sure his political activities will get the result he wants
as soon as (if ever) U2 enters the has-been league most of the politicians Bono is talking to now wouldn't even want their pic taken with him
on the other hand if he fails in his political endeavours (and Bono's image gets dented in the public opinion) the music critics will certainly try to use public opinion and slam him as soon as U2 isn't able to have the same succes as ATYCLB generated

the only way Bono can win is if he succeeds in being the best in both arreas

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 04-03-2002).]

If you really think that Bono sincerely likes such characters as Sen. Jesse Helms, then I think we have a case of willful blindness.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Originally posted by LOVE MUSCLE:
And if you really think you know who/what Bono likes, and believe what you posted here then yes we do have a case of willful blindness.

If you've ever paid attention to any of Bono's religion and politics over the last two decades, do you really think he'd be buddies with Sen. Jesse Helms, who epitomizes intolerance? Think about that, and get back to me.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 04-03-2002).]

Originally posted by melon:
If you've ever paid attention to any of Bono's religion and politics over the last two decades, do you really think he'd be buddies with Sen. Jesse Helms, who epitomizes intolerance? Think about that, and get back to me.

Melon

Melon-
Its not like Bono and Jesse H are going to sing songs around the campfire.
It is nice that Bono was able to enlightened this old codger before he met his maker-dont you think?

Diamond

if Bono, Edge, Larry, Adam, any of them liked Orrin Hatch, Bob Barr, Jesse Helms, or any of their ilk, would never buy or listen to another thing they ever put out. Fortunately, their music tells us what they really think.

You know..it is possibel to vehemently disagree with a person and still like them. I am not sayign that Bono does like anyone he's worked with at the white house...but maybe he does...maybe he met someone that he liked even though he didn't agree with the views. I have friends who disagree with me on political issues severely, but we like eachother on different accounts...so who knows..maybe bono and orrin hatch really did like discussing radiohead together...?

Originally posted by popsadie:
You know..it is possibel to vehemently disagree with a person and still like them. I am not sayign that Bono does like anyone he's worked with at the white house...but maybe he does...maybe he met someone that he liked even though he didn't agree with the views. I have friends who disagree with me on political issues severely, but we like eachother on different accounts...so who knows..maybe bono and orrin hatch really did like discussing radiohead together...?

Perfect analogy Popsadie.

D
B

Originally posted by melon:

Melon

Well, I can't find where, but there was a magazine article (RS?) a while back where Bono was talking to Thom Yorke about his dealings with 'drop the debt'. Yorke scoffed at his meeting with Jessee Helms and another conservative (who was a Radiohead fan) by saying "great, bad people like our music.." (not a direct quote since I couldn't find the article). Bono's response was, ..."just because they are conservative dosen't mean they are bad..." (once again, not a direct quote).

Does anyone remember this, because I am not making this up.

Melon, this means people mature with age. Anger and rage deflate as well, perhaps Bono has been focused on the issue and not the conservative/politican.

Bono is not a moron like Alec Baldwin or one of those twits who think they sound important because they can stand on their soapbox and denounce conservatives because they are of a different party. Baldwin publicly called the Bush election and 911 the two catastrophic things that happened in 2001. Real smart american guy that Baldwin.

Anyway, I apologize for straying off track here. I hope you aren't in some liberal denial by believing that Bono really hates the conservatives yet is putting on some front to accomplish his goals. IF this were the case, then how would we know when he was pretending or not? How do we know that he isn't pretending he likes us when he really hates us but loves our $$$ and the great life we have given him?

Think about it and get back to me.

Originally posted by U2live:
if Bono, Edge, Larry, Adam, any of them liked Orrin Hatch, Bob Barr, Jesse Helms, or any of their ilk, would never buy or listen to another thing they ever put out. Fortunately, their music tells us what they really think.

Well, your punctuation and grammar use is actually worse than mine, so it's hard to tell what your exact meaning is here.

As DiamondBono_9 would say:

"It's about transcending boundaries..."

The beautiful thing about Bono is that he has a lot less hatred for other people than some of his fans seem to have.

~U2Alabama

Back
Top Bottom