I find it QUITE Offensive that some "FANS" seem to think that.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Defending Sen. Jesse Helms is proof positive that many would defend Satan if he decided one day to be a "conservative." Democrats and Republicans aside, this man is best off forgotten in the annals of time. The Republican Party will more than benefit from his departure. It is Congressmen like him--and the fact that he is not only defended, but encouraged by the party--that will prevent me from ever voting Republican. It is still nothing more than a rich-old-white-"Christian"-male bigot club to me...and Sen. Helms is all of the above.

DB9, I actually appreciate your last statement. But Sen. Helms would likely label everything you said as "communist."

Read the links, z edge. Are you afraid to? I have always read the links posted by conservatives, no matter how ridiculous I thought them to be. If you wish to only read one, read the Washington Post one.

If it is any consolation to any of you, my opinion of Sen. Helms does not reflect my opinion of everyone in the Republican Party. But the fact that the party machine still idolizes him is enough to show that the party still has a lot of problems.

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

Melon-
One last observation.
As a Republican, I think silently alot of us our biding our time just waiting for the old Senator to leave.
He doesnt reflect the what the current Republican Party has evolve to.
At least Bono enlightened him a bit before his departure.

Your Friend-
Diamond

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
I don't know much about neither the republican party nor Sen. Helms but form what I've read in this thread I guess Diamond is right about this one

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by Salome:
Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
I don't know much about neither the republican party nor Sen. Helms but form what I've read in this thread I guess Diamond is right about this one

Thank you-
Salome.

D
B

Originally posted by z edge:
You really should learn when to grow up. Maybe some day you will, and turn your hate/anger for Helms and conservatives in general into something constructive.

You generally cannot do, nor prove, yourself on a web forum. All you can do is gripe.

As for the "constructive" part, I've already thought about it. I'm half deciding to run as a Republican senator. Yes, that's right. If I can't disassemble this party from the outside, I'm going to do it from the inside. I have *enough* of a Republican platform in me that I can do it. Now I'm just putting my time in before I can do so...

Melon

------------------
"Still, I never understood the elevation of greed as a political credo. Why would anyone want to base a political programme on bottomless dissatisfaction and the impossibility of happiness? Perhaps that was its appeal: the promise of luxury that in fact promoted endless work." - Hanif Kureishi, Intimacy

[This message has been edited by melon (edited 04-06-2002).]

If you remember, Bono said he would "meet with Satan," and sings that he has "held the hand of (a) devil," although I can assure you I would never vote for Satan.

I did not intend to defend Senator Helms (which I don't), but I was a bit shocked by your statment, which seemed out of the ordinary compared to your usual views of Christian judgement, forgiveness and grace.

Good luck in your election, though.

~U2Alabama

Originally posted by melon:
You generally cannot do, nor prove, yourself on a web forum. All you can do is gripe.

Prove something on the internet web forum. Anything I have proved in my 30 years of life has come through actions, understanding, love, pride, and tears. Proof is something earned. If I prove things to people, it's because of a mutual earned right and respect. Therefore, I prove things to people I know, love, and respect. You do not fit in one of these three categories. I used to respect you quite a bit at least, not right at the moment though.
frown.gif

I should add that I respect everyone until they prove me wrong.

So what is it you want me to prove? You want me to "POST A LINK"?? Oh, thats proof beyond a shadow of a doubt
rolleyes.gif

Am I trying to prove that Jesse Helms dosen't deserve to "rot in hell for all eternity"?? Let our Lord be the judge of that. Have you ever heard this before; "Judge not lest ye be judged"?

I said the guy (Helms) wasn't a saint, and I never actually defended HIM the person, I was defending his party against someone who uses him to generalize the party in the cleverest of ways. Most of my gripe was defending his "soul" from eternal damnation.

All I can do is gripe. LOL, yeah I gripe, sure. But you don't, as your are borderline perfection in every aspect and always right (see, I am receptive)
wink.gif

As for the "constructive" part, I've already thought about it. I'm half deciding to run as a Republican senator. Yes, that's right. If I can't disassemble this party from the outside, I'm going to do it from the inside. I have *enough* of a Republican platform in me that I can do it. Now I'm just putting my time in before I can do so...

Melon

Okay, go for it (thumbs up)! (you just made my day)
cool.gif

Let me offer this, a good way to a political career as a republican often starts with a couple of years in the military. As an officer, I think you would have to serve possibly six years though but it is a very prestigious charge. The military does wonders for your self esteem and self motivation, and is much more "accomidating" than you may believe.

I know because I served almost 7 years in the army, and I have just joined the civilian sector of the air force making more money than I ever have in my life and happy to get up every morning and spend YOUR hard earned tax dollars on "stuff" we cannot discuss
wink.gif

The most gratifying part of my entire term was when people would take the time out of their life to come and tell me that they appreciated my contribution and risking my life for them, their ability to have opinions and to enjoy the freedom we provide. It's true, I think you would like it.

My only other advice regarding your future run is to toughen up your skin a bit. Your current temperment won't get your to your post. You will need to absorb 150,000 times anything remotely resembling an arguement or "personal attack" you might have read in this forum. And you will have to absorb it with confidence (that you won't blow up), committment (to your constituents), focus (that you will not let them knock you down) resilience (when they DO knock you down you bounce back stronger from it) conviction (you obviously have that) and charisma.

And if you make it, I hope we don't have jackasses out there on web forum's telling whoever listens that you need to rot in hell for all of eternity!

Good Day
xoxoxo

[This message has been edited by z edge (edited 04-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by z edge (edited 04-06-2002).]

Defending Sen. Jesse Helms is proof positive that many would defend Satan if he decided one day to be a "conservative."

Your true agenda reveals itself once again; remembering the thread where I asked you if you would still hate G.W. Bush if he could achieve( at this point I named off a hypothetical list of major feats including; world peace, cure for aids/all disease, end poverty, etc) and you said "yes" you would still hate him no matter what he did. That makes as much sense as voting for satan only because he is a "republican candidate"
rolleyes.gif
See this is your agenda, Stop trying to use twisted logic that makes sense to you against conservatives.

Jesse Helms is just an excuse here for you to attack the entire republican party (which you now want to be a part of?) like usual. The only difference is that you have to use the back door because of Bush's unstoppable popularity (at least in the USA) and the Bush-bono connection (yeah I've noticed ) that has you in near fits.

It is Congressmen like him--and the fact that he is not only defended, but encouraged by the party--that will prevent me from ever voting Republican.

Should you actually run, you might need your own vote!

------------------
I want you to know
That you don't need me anymore...

Melon, though I do not agree with z edge that you are using Helms as an excuse "to attack the entire republican party" I do feel that you have used up your share of bold statements to try and get a rise out off the republicans in this forum

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

[This message has been edited by Salome (edited 04-06-2002).]

and what exactly is it "the current Republican party has evolved to?" By the way, can't stand any politicians, they're all frauds, sleezebags, and they only serve the people who buy them their office, in the case of Bush that's oil companies and Enron. He still has to decimate Alaska for them as payback also.

First off, my opinion of you, z edge, has not changed one bit. You're certainly a good guy, but we disagree on some subjects. Quite frankly, I thought we'd agree on someone as clearly extremist as Sen. Jesse Helms, but, hey, life is about surprises.
wink.gif
Since you've clearly expanded the definition of "liberal media" to include any negative press on Sen. Helms, it is clear that I will never be able to prove anything to you. So that is that.

Secondly, I will not be joining the military anytime soon. I'm done being closeted. It's not good for the old mental health. If I run for senator, I'm going to be me, quirks and all. A novel concept in a field of window-dressing, eh? If I lose, then I know I have lost honestly.

Third, my issue, all along, was with Sen. Helms. I don't care which party he belongs to. FYI, he was a Democrat for decades until the Democratic Party took on a civil rights platform in the 1960s. My argument was fully on Sen. Helms, whom I think is beyond evil and undeserving of any redemption from me. If God saves his soul, then it really is proof positive that anyone can get into heaven for everything that rotten man has done over the decades. As for the rest of the Republican Party? My gripes are mostly the hypocrisy (pro-life, pro-death penalty), fiscal irresponsibility (huge tax cuts, but often huge increases in spending [i.e., the military]), and, of course, legislated homophobia.

I certainly would not be running as a Republican senator for the sole purpose of towing the party line. Preaching to liberals is like preaching to the choir; the clear obstruction is still the Republican Party. Me joining the choir will not change anything. Just as Bill Clinton redefined what it meant to be "Democrat" in the 1990s, I certainly see no problem going in and redefining what it means to be "Republican."

In fact, one of the most interesting foibles of history is the fact that the original Republican Party (founded in 1854) was liberal until 1870, when Northern liberals (Republicans) flooded the Democratic Party and, as a result, Northern conservatives (Democrats) retreated into the Republican Party. Southern Democrats, who were conservatives, switched to the Republican Party gradually from the 1960s to the 1980s, after getting angry at the Democrats' platform of civil rights (the reason why Sen. Strom Thurmond and Sen. Helms defected).

Why I am especially amused by that fact is that Republicans love to use Abraham Lincoln as one of their poster boys...but, as he was president from 1861-1865, that was before the great defection in 1870. Hence, he would be considered more of a Democrat nowadays. Ulysses S. Grant was the first "modern" Republican president.

In the end, *if* I decide to run as a Republican, I hope to switch the control of the party to the moderates once and for all. I will get my revenge, and I will have done it in a constructive manner. Now aren't you proud of me?
tongue.gif

Melon

------------------

Originally posted by z edge:
Jesse Helms is just an excuse here for you to attack the entire republican party (which you now want to be a part of?) like usual.

Nope...you're incorrect on this.

As for being a Republican suddenly, it is all a matter of strategy, much of which I haven't figured out exactly yet. I picked up some interesting strategies from a Log Cabin Republican once that has made me consider it...

Melon

------------------

Since you've clearly expanded the definition of "liberal media" to include any negative press on Sen. Helms, it is clear that I will never be able to prove anything to you.

Melon, regardless of anyone's opinon on Senator Helms, how could anyone consider MOTHER JONES and THE NEW REPUBLIC anythin BUT "liberal media"? They even consider THEMSELVES to be liberal magazines!

My gripes are mostly the hypocrisy (pro-life, pro-death penalty)

I can understand this gripe here, and I guess it means you also have a gripe with the Democratic Party's pro-abortion, anti death penalty stance?

~U2Alabama

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 04-06-2002).]

Originally posted by U2Bama:
Melon, regardless of anyone's opinon on Senator Helms, how could anyone consider MOTHER JONES and THE NEW REPUBLIC anythin BUT "liberal media"? They even consider THEMSELVES to be liberal magazines!

You are certainly correct, and I was looking for criticisms from conservative media sources...........which were nonexistent. It was almost as if we were talking about two different senators here!

I can understand this gripe here, and I guess it means you also have a gripe with the Democratic Party's pro-abortion, anti death penalty stance?

I have a lot of gripes about the Democratic Party, which is partly why I'm considering abandoning it for good. Let's just say it takes its electorate for granted, while not delivering on any of its promises. I'm tired of them being little more than Republican collaborators.

Melon

------------------

First off, my opinion of you, z edge, has not changed one bit. You're certainly a good guy, but we disagree on some subjects. Quite frankly, I thought we'd agree on someone as clearly extremist as Sen. Jesse Helms, but, hey, life is about surprises.
wink.gif

Melon, I would gladly lay my life down for you or anyone here in this forum, or anyone in America or the rest of the world if necessary. That will never change. What changed for me is that you lost my respect, momentarily perhaps, but as a human being I still have love for you and appreciate your contributions here and value your input. You were VERY wrong in your comment yesterday, you should acknowledge that.

Since you've clearly expanded the definition of "liberal media" to include any negative press on Sen. Helms, it is clear that I will never be able to prove anything to you. So that is that.

Look, I never said I was Helms' biggest fan. Deal with the fact that we argued/debated/whatever over something a bit bigger than Helms, okay?

Secondly, I will not be joining the military anytime soon. I'm done being closeted. It's not good for the old mental health. If I run for senator, I'm going to be me, quirks and all. A novel concept in a field of window-dressing, eh? If I lose, then I know I have lost honestly.

Hey Melon, there are plenty of folks in the military in your shoes, remember I served with them for a while. The truth is, nobody really cares about that in everyday life. Do your freaking job, go home and be happy. Yes people find out about it, but if you are a good soldier/airman/marine they won't make your life the hell you think they would.

Honestly, I didn't reccommend that to you for funnies, it was genuine. The military is a great way of life, best to serve at minimal terms IMO. It could actually help launch your political aspirations, along with your schooling and convictions.

I mean I would even support you in this.

Third, my issue, all along, was with Sen. Helms. I don't care which party he belongs to. FYI, he was a Democrat for decades until the Democratic Party took on a civil rights platform in the 1960s. My argument was fully on Sen. Helms, whom I think is beyond evil and undeserving of any redemption from me. If God saves his soul, then it really is proof positive that anyone can get into heaven for everything that rotten man has done over the decades. As for the rest of the Republican Party? My gripes are mostly the hypocrisy (pro-life, pro-death penalty), fiscal irresponsibility (huge tax cuts, but often huge increases in spending [i.e., the military]), and, of course, legislated homophobia.

I certainly would not be running as a Republican senator for the sole purpose of towing the party line. Preaching to liberals is like preaching to the choir; the clear obstruction is still the Republican Party. Me joining the choir will not change anything. Just as Bill Clinton redefined what it meant to be "Democrat" in the 1990s, I certainly see no problem going in and redefining what it means to be "Republican."

In fact, one of the most interesting foibles of history is the fact that the original Republican Party (founded in 1854) was liberal until 1870, when Northern liberals (Republicans) flooded the Democratic Party and, as a result, Northern conservatives (Democrats) retreated into the Republican Party. Southern Democrats, who were conservatives, switched to the Republican Party gradually from the 1960s to the 1980s, after getting angry at the Democrats' platform of civil rights (the reason why Sen. Strom Thurmond and Sen. Helms defected).

Why I am especially amused by that fact is that Republicans love to use Abraham Lincoln as one of their poster boys...but, as he was president from 1861-1865, that was before the great defection in 1870. Hence, he would be considered more of a Democrat nowadays. Ulysses S. Grant was the first "modern" Republican president.

In the end, *if* I decide to run as a Republican, I hope to switch the control of the party to the moderates once and for all. I will get my revenge, and I will have done it in a constructive manner. Now aren't you proud of me?
tongue.gif

Melon

I dunno why, but I am to shitty to argue
wink.gif
Anyway, my best wishes to you. I called you out on where I really thought You fucked up, my point has been made. My gratitude to you for your response, and your manner in such. Remember what I said, I would die for my country if necessary and that includes all of you.

Regards
Bless
xoxo
peace

------------------
The FIRST and ONLY Banana

[This message has been edited by LOVE MUSCLE (edited 04-07-2002).]

Politics makes strange bedfellows and this is no exception. Bono has always been political, and not instead of screaming it out from a stage in front of fans, he's taken it up one level and he's meeting with congress. And just because you MEET with someone on an issue, doesn't means he's a fan of them...but if you tell a person " you suck" tehy tend not to react very well to you. Bono is being artful. And in truth I think that anyone who says someone should not do anything for africa right now needs to have his or her genitals removed to prevent spreading those genes to potentially idiotic offspring. Do I agree with everything bono says all the time ? no...but..as far as africa is concerned, I'm glad to see that SOMEONE gives a damn. As for the whole meeting with helms and hatch...the republican party has produced it's share of assholes that's no doubt...but if bono has to sacrifice personal integrity to do something for africa..then..I think he should . Rock and roll is a small part of life..people are dying and not even get a chance at life...that's a real issue. Bono didn't become an artist to make music, he did it to make a difference, and he's doign that.

Diamond..do I think you have a right to be OFFENDED?...probably not..people have right to opinions. The only person who has a right to be offended by comments like that..is bono

Honestly the only real shame is that more u2 fans dont' follow bono's example.

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 04-07-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 04-07-2002).]

Very well said halfstar.
One clarification though, I do think if someone like-
Osama
or
Yassar A
or
Saddam H
or
David Duke
or
The Montana Freeman
or
Paublo Esabar- offered Bono a large sum of money to help Data or the Children of Cherynobal that he would respectfully decline their offers.

He does have scrupples and integrity.
He doesnt see the Republicans quite this way.

You summed it up well w the statement "Bono became a rockstar to make a difference"..

Alot of rockstars start their careers to be somebody.
Bono started his career to do something.
ie- Substance before symbolism.

BTW-Have you been drinking too much coffee ?

Your Friend-
Diamond

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 04-08-2002).]

I certainly would not be running as a Republican senator for the sole purpose of towing the party line. Just as Bill Clinton redefined what it meant to be "Democrat" in the 1990s, I certainly see no problem going in and redefining what it means to be "Republican."

This is a very interesting take on things, Something I noticed with Clinton.. as he changed the Country's definition of 'Moderate', And Bush.. With his little Forays into joint signings with Ted Kennedy... and other such endeavors such as the Federal Airport Security.. W. Bush is redefining with these such 'Breaks' with the Stout Conservatives what it means to be a 'Moderate' in this Country.

L.Unplugged

This will really chap ya'lls asses.. Rush's Latest on Bono and other Cause Celebrities.. His comments a bit ago were scoffed at, mostly due to the fact that they were more on the line of personal insults.. However, this time, I think there's a bit more to the statements than last time's fluff..

This all began when Dave Matthews sounded like a complete idiot when he was trying to explain why his new Ice Cream was giving proceeds to help curb global warming...

L.Unplugged

EIB:

On Friday, an attempt was made to provoke the all-feeling, all-caring, all-knowing, newly all-hearing Maha Rushie with a comment on President Bush's meeting with U2's Bono. Bono's issue is the forgiving of Third World debt. He's for it. He's passionately for it. He wants all that debt wiped out, because these countries will never have the prosperity to pay it.

The fact that they won't ever have prosperity because they're a bunch of communist and socialist dictatorships isn't the point - though it is key to remember. The point is the reason these celebrities go for causes like this, especially when they have no knowledge of them. All they have is the universally human ability to feel. All they have are "good intentions," which we all know don't matter as much as results do.

Of course, we all get sucked in. Everybody has good intentions, compassion and big hearts, but how hard is it to be for forgiving debt? What measure of intellect does it require? What degree of substance does it demand to be of the opinion that people who don't have money should not be forced to pay back loans? It is very easy. You just say it, and wait for the applause.

How hard is it to do that if you're not the one losing the money, or having your mortgage rates increased because some bank "forgave" defaulted loans. You just have to say, "I think the Third World should be forgiven its debt load." What is it about that opinion that garners such appreciation and admiration? Why do you need to travel around the world eyeballing poverty in order to conclude, "These people should not be made to pay back their money."

Why isn't your conclusion that we need more freedom, not to reward corrupt, broken regimes? It doesn't fix the problem of poverty to join some cause or throw good loan money after bad. I could join the cause today. All I would have to do is say, "You know what, folks? I am for the forgiveness of third world debt." If I did that, I would be celebrated as a hero, a man who had seen the light and who understood the plight of the poor worldwide. Isn't that the traditional liberal line anyway? Results don't matter. Feelings do.

[This message has been edited by Lemonite (edited 04-09-2002).]

Lemonite,
I did not understand if the above response to BONO and his activities was yours or if it was Rush's. Who ever it is, it makes some big mistakes about the nature of BONO's activities. First, BONO was contacted by the Jubilee 2000 compaign to work for them and attempt to get politicians to support the idea of debt forgiveness for many poor countries. So this arguement against BONO that he is not smart for coming up with the idea is absurd. BONO's job this whole time has been to promote an idea that had already been out there for some time but never tried. So BONO's job has been one of being a compaigner to get people on board to reduce debt. He is Jubilee's PR man and he has done a very effective job.
He understands the Economics of this situation and probably knows more about it than almost any student with an undergrad degree in Economics. Maybe more than many graduate Economic students and their Profs. Larry Summers is probably one of the smartest economist out there and he was very impressed with BONO's knowledge and commented how smart he thought BONO was. GW. Treasury Sec. has had a similar reaction. As for RUSH, I doubt he has ever taken an Economics class. BONO knows and understand the issues where RUSH's knowledge is definitely cause for question on this one.
The political situation in Africa is more complex than a simple statement of, All these countries are unreformable dictatorships where this will never work.
Again BONO is compaigning to get politicians to support a well known idea that has not been tried before despite its supposed simple nature. When was the last time we had debt relief of this scale for African countries? BONO has influence because of his celebrity but is also informed and intelligent on the issue even more than many of the politicians he deals with. Politicians have many other issues to focus on and may or may not have staff members that are experts on the issue of debt relief to certain countries.
The fact is the results on Economic development do not have a good record so far. RUSH wants results not feelings. But again, what have been the results of NO DEBT RELIEF? Someone like RUSH who may not have any "feelings" for the issue, won't work to achieve results. No feeling, no results. BONO has feeling and wants things to change for the better. BONO knows that the LIVE AID show in 1985 only provided about two weeks of relief for Africa. He has studied and understands that more than feeling is needed, and real results take BILLIONS of Dollars and not millions in addition to other factors. This level of debt relief has never been tried before by the politicians and "experts".
BONO should be commended for his role in promoting and educating politicians and the general public around the world about the problems that Africa faces. Most politicians and the general public do not even know off hand the names and locations of most countries in Africa let alone the difficult political/economic/health issues there.
While RUSH might be informed on certain issue's, he is often a Republican cheerleader and attack dog against the Democrats. I've listened and notice sometimes a lack of knowledge on several facts and poor understanding of some issue's. But I guess his chief job besides making money is to be a compaigner for main Republican party platform vs the Democrats instead of being an expert on certain issue's.

Actually I believe Bono stumbled across teh campaign...not vice versa..I dont' believe they sought him out.

Z edge..just because you are conservative...doesn't mean you have to defend Helms. He is a Joke and deserves to be ridiculed. I'm ashamed that he is put in his seat every year. He is an embarassment to conservatism. I understand your feelings being in the military and I respect that. But if helms is indicative of conservatism, I don't see how anyone in good conscience can call themselves republican. I personally have nothing against republicans. But I sincerly hope that people realize that when they defend helms..they aren't doing conservatism a favor, and in fact they are hurting it.

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 04-09-2002).]

Arun-
I dont think Brother Edge is going outta his way to defend Mr Helms.
Again most Republicans esp - the younger ones are quietly waiting for Mr Helms to retire.
Arun you are right he doesnt attract new people to the party.
Were being polite because he's old.
The only 'good' thing outta this is Bono sat down w/the old man w/COMPASSION and brought some sense into this person's brain.
Bono could of chose to do nothing.
I like Bono's example the best.
Iam not excusing Mr Helms past record.

ZEdge thank you for serving our country.
Lastly Brother Arun, when youre old enough I think you should be able to join the Republican Party.jk

Your Friend-
diamond

Originally posted by Arun V:
Bacchus...is a true conservative..conservatism does not outweigh reason

Thanks! He is my Congressman, and he truly HAS earned Bono's friendship, as he and former Congressman Kasich, both drop-the-debt supporters, got Bono introduced to all kinds of Capitol Hill gurus.

~U2Alabama

Dick Army, Helms, and thurmann are embarassments to the party

Bacchus...is a true conservative..conservatism does not outweigh reason

your friend

ArunRockstar.5

[This message has been edited by Arun V (edited 04-09-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom