"I don't see any talk about impeachment here." As Always Diamond hits it oon the head - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-16-2006, 10:39 AM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:58 PM
"I don't see any talk about impeachment here." As Always Diamond hits it oon the head

[Q]Specter Vows a Close Look at Spy Program

By DOUGLAS JEHL
Published: January 16, 2006
WASHINGTON, Jan. 15 - Senator Arlen Specter, Republican of Pennsylvania, said Sunday that Republicans would not grant President Bush "a blank check" in seeking to determine whether the domestic eavesdropping program that Mr. Bush authorized after the Sept. 11 attacks violated the law.

"Just because we're of the same party doesn't mean we're not going to look at this closely," Mr. Specter said in an appearance on "This Week" on ABC. Mr. Specter is chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, which plans to hold hearings on the matter next month, with witnesses to include Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales.

The program authorized by Mr. Bush bypassed a special federal court whose approval is required under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act for domestic eavesdropping operations. Mr. Specter has said he does not agree with the White House view that Congress effectively authorized the surveillance, which was carried out by the National Security Agency, in a resolution passed shortly after the Sept. 11 attacks.

Mr. Specter said Sunday that he was still considering the question of whether a president might possess special powers under wartime that would have allowed Mr. Bush to circumvent the surveillance act. He said that if Mr. Bush were found to have acted illegally, he would most likely face "a political price" rather than a more severe sanction, in part because of broad support of the administration's antiterrorism efforts.

"I don't see any talk about impeachment here," Mr. Specter said. "I don't think anybody doubts that the president is making a good faith effort here, that he sees a real problem, as we all do, and he's acting in a way that he feels he must."

The timing and scope for any Congressional inquiry into the eavesdropping remains unclear. Mr. Specter is the only chairman who has publicly promised to hold hearings, but he has said his panel will focus on legal questions, not the more highly classified details of the operation.

A date for the Senate Judiciary Committee hearings has not yet been set. In both the Senate and House, the Intelligence Committees are also considering whether to call witnesses to talk about the eavesdropping program.
[/Q]

Old 01-16-2006, 10:46 AM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

blow jobs are worse than violating the constitution.

Old 01-16-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

^don't you love democracy?
Old 01-16-2006, 11:35 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:58 PM
This seems illegal to me, but then I'm not a lawyer.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:55 AM   #5
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:58 PM
The blind will follow the blind...
Old 01-16-2006, 11:58 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:58 PM
I'm not sure of the strategic sense in impeaching Bush at this point, it sends out the wrong message to the enemies of the West. I don't want Bush impeached. Embarassed a little - yes.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

People can identify with cheating husbands...on the other hand I think after 9/11 the public subconsciously wants the Middle Eastern people in this country to be wiretapped as a precaution, even if they won't admit it. The media has also done a good job of dumbing it down so that the average viewer thinks it's just a matter of whether or not you're okay with being wiretapped (most people are because they figure they've done nothing wrong anyway). So the media (particularly FOX) seems to have effectively taken the focus off of the actual issue. The issue isn't whether the President should be able to wiretap those that may be remotely involved in terrorism, because the FISA courts allows for that and then some. Just judging by the statistics as far as how many requests for a warrant the FISA court has ever turned down, I think it's fair to say that anyone that wouldn't have been approved by that court is someone the government has no place in wiretapping. And that's the real issue here, but I get the feeling the public won't react to it in that way. It's just not as good of material as the blowjob, dress stain, lying husband etc.

That said, financeguy does have a point...I read the book by Leon Jaworski, and despite the fact that Nixon not only broke the law but used it for clearly sinister purposes, throughout the process, Jaworski continued to choose his actions based not only on law but also on this notion of what was "best for the country" and what the country could handle. I don't think impeaching Bush would necessarily be a good thing (unlikely to happen anyway, imo).
Old 01-16-2006, 12:14 PM   #8
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
I'm not sure of the strategic sense in impeaching Bush at this point, it sends out the wrong message to the enemies of the West. I don't want Bush impeached. Embarassed a little - yes.
Are you joking?

We're "spreading" democracy and we're showing the world that constitutions really don't matter...this is the right message?
Old 01-16-2006, 12:25 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Are you joking?

We're "spreading" democracy and we're showing the world that constitutions really don't matter...this is the right message?
No I'm not joking but I can understand why you might think that. Impeaching Bush, even though in my view he was questionably elected, sends out the wrong message to Islamist terrorists and would be a moral victory for them and thus weakens the West. The Democrats should by all means continue to keep a close eye on the Bush adminstration but I would be concerned about the destabilising effect of a protracted impeachment proceeding - particulary as the VP (and thus Bush's presumed replacement if he was forced to resign) has a heart condition.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:44 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Impeaching Bush, even though in my view he was questionably elected, sends out the wrong message to Islamist terrorists and would be a moral victory for them and thus weakens the West.
I think this mentality weakens the west. I think justifying the compromise of democracy by worrying about giving moral victory to terrorists is extremely dangerous.

We've already given moral victory to the enemy by saying the only way we can find you is if we break our own laws...hell they're probably laughing at us right now.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:58 PM
Quote:

Are you joking?

Financeguy's comments were about the message to the enemies of the West.

I would guess that the enemies of the West would be amused that a leader would challenged based on passive methods used to track an enemy (or for lying under oath about sex).

The response may be "we don't need to attack, the infidels will take out Bush for us!"
Old 01-16-2006, 12:49 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Financeguy's comments were about the message to the enemies of the West.

I didn't realize they're running our country now? They must be ecstatic to know their opinion means that much to us...
Old 01-16-2006, 12:50 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

I just wanted a Cheney Presidency......

Hehehe
Old 01-16-2006, 01:13 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:58 PM
Quote:

I didn't realize they're running our country now? They must be ecstatic to know their opinion means that much to us...
How could they be running our country?
Old 01-16-2006, 01:18 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

But they will approve a Supreme Court nominee who seemingly would give him a blank check the bottom line is that fear works, and people are still afraid after 9/11. And if they're not afraid, the Bush administration is always reminding them to be afraid.

Forget Reagan being the teflon President, the real teflon President seems to be George W. Bush.