I don't believe!! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2004, 03:35 AM   #1
War Child

Local Time: 02:16 AM
I don't believe!!

No offense to any of you who believe in god, but i just can't bring myself to believe in any of that stuff!!
I believe that if there was a god then things like famine and war wouldn't happen,because he could stop them!!
I asked this christian guy i know why,if there is a god,why does all the bad stuff happen in the world,apparently,he said god is punishing people for the wrong they've done!!
Well, in that case, what have those people in countries like Africa ever done to deserve what's happening to them now?

Also, i think it has something to do with the fact that I've seen the damage religion can do to people to countries!!
I've lived in Northern Ireland my whole life and i've seen what happens due to religious differences in a country!!
I'm also sick of having religion shoved down my throat by the catholic church. In my opinion religion is just a way of keeping people under control!! It's the only way the church can control people now,because their power has been taken away by other institutions.

I'm sorry if i have offended anyone in my rambling,but it is my opinion and i believe that i have a right to express it, just as you all have a right to express yours!!

Old 11-26-2004, 03:43 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:16 AM
Prepare yourself for some Bible quotes.

Old 11-26-2004, 03:55 AM   #3
War Child

Local Time: 03:16 AM
I agree on some points with you Lil' Bono. And of course you should be able to express this, just as anybody that does believe should be able to express their views...
Old 11-26-2004, 04:13 AM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:16 AM
I was born in Northern Ireland as well, and I know exactly where you are coming from and for that reason I don't have any religion.

What I get out of religion is that it is a way of being which looks after each other, is tolerant of other people (and their religious beliefs) and is considerate of the world in which we live. Whether or not there is a God, really should be up to the individual to decide.

In most conflicts religion is being used as an excuse for politics power and unfortunately, that is not going to change any time soon.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:56 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 10:16 PM
religion is a club
Old 11-26-2004, 05:17 AM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
Prepare yourself for some Bible quotes.
Prepare yourself for a Bono quote.....

[Q] The Big bang was of the perfect strength to cause the creation of the universe as we know it. Any stronger and the force of the explosion would have made the formation of matter impossible, the energy of the explosion would have continued outward in the form of radio waves. Any less powerful and the pull back to the center caused by gravity would have have instantly sucked everything blown out back into the tiny pinpointwhere it all started. That this occured has made possible the formation of all matter, in the form off gas - the substance of all stars, and all other substances liquids and solids, the threshhold for the existance of matter is so tiny that the existance of the universe is either the greatest fluke immaginable or the inevitable result of some creative influence. Gravity is a mysterious thing. There is not enough real matter to account for theapparent gravitational form that can be observed, influencing x-rays as they travel through the universe, we have invented a theoretical material called dark matter. A substance that has all of the properties of normal stuff, but is invisible. This dark matter is five times more common than natural visible matter.[/Q]
Old 11-26-2004, 05:29 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I dont believe how 98% of the world ( or thereabout) believe in God so strongly.

See, I dont say God doesnt exist. I dont say God exists.

Science is the answer for most things.. Most times its a coverup...since apple falls down , we say gravitation exist...if the apple would had taken a different trajectory, science would have explained it.. since this thing is there , this happens..

but why this thing is there ..we will never know.. call it nature..call it power...call it God...you can call Sun as God..because if Sun wasnt there , humans wont have existed..

So, my view of God is pretty much confusing. But I dont deny the existence..nor do i support it blindly or without conditions. People have different definitions of God..

But I am sure the God as thought by most people doesnt exist..
God is watching us..and such stuff...its pyschological..its about human brain. Heavens and hells are lies..nothing more than that.

About religions, the lesser its said, the better
Old 11-26-2004, 06:10 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I hate it when people blame God for bad things people do in the name of religion. It's not his fault. Some people use Ozzy Osbourne or Dungeons and Dragons to do something and it's not their fault either! Was it The Beatles' fault the Manson family used their songs Helter Skelter and Blackbird to kill? Of course not! If someone is bad or crazy they will use anything. There is no need to blame God.

And speaking of God, yes, I believe. I am not a Bible thumper or even a churchgoer, but I am a believer. There is way too much in the universe that cannot be explained any other way.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:13 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

If you're from Northern Ireland, especially, I can see why you're turned off by religion. There's a guy on one of my U2 lists who's from Northern Ireland and he's had family members killed in the violence. If that happened to me, or anyone I knew, I might feel differently about religion. We don't have this in the U.S. so it's different. Still, when I was growing up I was pissed off at the local churches because they had racism in them. I still very strongly believe racism in churches sucks and undermines what they should be.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:26 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
There is way too much in the universe that cannot be explained any other way.
even if you believe, you cant explain many other things.

probably the amount of things you cant explain while believing is more than amount of things you cant explain while not believing..

so it really depends on the things you want explanation for
Old 11-26-2004, 06:46 AM   #11
The Fly

I think there is some confusion with religion and spirituality. One can believe in a higher power, whatever that is, and have nothing to do with religion.
Religion is a man made thing and isn’t required at all to believe in god. So any resentment at a church or religious organization shouldn’t really be grounds for non belief. Be angry at the church, it’s a flawed, very flawed, creation of man.

Maybe before completely writing off god because of f'ed up religions... do a bit of reading on spirituality and other religious thoughts. Then you can get a larger picture of what religion, god, spirituality and all that complicated stuff is before you give up on it. Just a thought – I like to get as many aspects of things as I can before I made a definite decision on it, especially something so vast as god and god-stuff.
Old 11-26-2004, 06:56 AM   #12
Refugee

But why are so many people drawn to 'God'?
Old 11-26-2004, 07:00 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:16 PM
Human mentality.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:14 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by MadelynIris
But why are so many people drawn to 'God'?
human pyschology...human brain.

they need a fantasy to exist forever.

so they believe in God - and they "feel" God is always with them... its all in the minds.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:15 AM   #15
The Fly

What you must realize is that everyone, by definition, has a religion, whether they profess it or not. If it is not known as an "organized" religion, then it is disorganized. But in order to live in this world, in order to be a human being, you MUST have some system of belief(s) that helps you to make sense of the world and what happens in it. A god is "that to which you look for good and to which you cling in times of trouble" (Martin Luther). As such, there is no such thing as atheism. If you claim not to trust a transcendent God with a name like Yahweh or Buddha, then you have another god or set of gods somewhere...and it might be just yourself.