I don't believe!! - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2004, 02:41 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:32 AM
what always astounds me is how a minor israelite tribal god managed to become the world's #1 religion.

yahweh hadn't even been heard of outside of the immediate area of canaan until roman times.

and the israelites didn't even have a monotheistic religion. it was complete henotheism.

Old 11-26-2004, 03:35 PM   #32
Refugee

Local Time: 01:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan

Love.. i never had love ..how would i know

AcrobatMan

Come here, im gonna give you a hug!

Old 11-26-2004, 03:54 PM   #33
Refugee

Quote:
what always astounds me is how a minor israelite tribal god managed to become the world's #1 religion.

yahweh hadn't even been heard of outside of the immediate area of canaan until roman times.

and the israelites didn't even have a monotheistic religion. it was complete henotheism
This fact, combined with the history of the Jews, and how much of their history is documented in the books of the prophets, and how much of it all lines up JUST BLOWS ME AWAY!

Really.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:29 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC

Well, as Pharoah said, 'His God, is God.'
Old 11-26-2004, 04:47 PM   #35
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

And this kind of arrogant attitude is part of what make many people despise Christians.

"My God's bigger, so he's The One True God." What BS.
Old 11-26-2004, 04:51 PM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by indra

And this kind of arrogant attitude is part of what make many people despise Christians.

"My God's bigger, so he's The One True God." What BS.
Actually, that was not "Christian" but Jewish.

I think I know what you're getting at, like some Southern Baptists act like their church is the only church that's right and everyone else is going to Hell. I know some like that. This is not what I mean. I mean that is is possible the God of Abraham is the supreme being of the universe and it's wrong to hate people for believing that. I'm not calling anyone else 'wrong.' It's also possible he has taken on other forms or meanings to other people, but is still the same now and forever.
Old 11-26-2004, 05:31 PM   #37
Refugee

Local Time: 01:32 PM
I dont know how i feel about God

I hope she exists
Old 11-26-2004, 07:30 PM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:32 AM
My feeling is that while I can't be sure whether any sort of higher being or power exists, I can't be sure that it doesn't exist either. But even if it does exist, its nature, intentions and relevance (if any) to my life is something else entirely. I've no idea what they might be and I can't say I believe in any interpretation or image of it offered by any of the world's religions.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:40 PM   #39
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

is that quote from the Bible? from Exodus?

cause you do realize that there is absolutely ZERO archaeological evidence anywhere in Egypt of Israelites existing there as a cohesive unit of any numbers at all at any time right?

the only place that even suggests that the Israelites were even IN Egypt at any point in time is the Bible, and guess what...you can't use the Bible as a reliable primary source.

Besides, even if the pharaoh (which one are you referring to?) said something like that, it'd be in a sense of henotheism, and probably in reference to the belief that Yahweh and some major Egyptian god like Horus or Amun were one and the same, much like many think that Yahweh and Allah are one and the same.

oh, and henotheism is the belief system in which you worship only one god, but acknowledge that there are other gods out there too.

notice that Yahweh did not say "I am the Lord your God. I shall be your only God.", but he did say "I am the Lord your God. You shall have no other gods before me." seems to me this implies Yahweh him/her/itself suggesting there are other gods out there of which he is the chief.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:42 PM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I believe those in Northern Ireland who take God's name in vain for killing others will receive God's judgement. Bono himself has said that doubting religion doesn't mean doubting God at all. Religion is hardcore traditionalism, many times forced routine, and we should be very careful that we use religion in the right way. Religion is man-made, and God is not.

God's love has no limits, and I don't think God takes people away from him. I think a loss of faith is caused by people themselves, and God will take those back with open arms when they turn to HIM.

God is LOVE.
Religion is EXCUSES.
Two very different things.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:17 PM   #41
War Child

I used to believe in God,,,, until a few weeks ago.

There is no God. And Jesus never existed. The story of Jesus is a fictional story, told four different ways. Think about it. When Jesus was by himself or was with somebody and there was nobody around, how did anybody know what he said or did???

The early Christians were a cult, just like any other crazy cult nowadays. They propaganded this story about the Messiah coming down and doing all of these miracles. And the Romans thought these people were nuts, so they fed them to the lions in the Coloseum. Back then, people wanted to know if a Messiah will ever come down, and the early Christians fooled everybody and said that the Messiah did come down and did all these miracles. They were bullshitters..

If you ask any history professor, they will tell you that there is no proof that Jesus ever existed. There are no historical writings that mentioned Jesus.

There is no God. There is no heaven or hell. The Egyptions created this notion of a heaven and hell because they wanted to believe that there was an after-life.
There is no after-life. When you die, your existence is over. That's it. When you die, it's like when you were never born. Do you remember 100 years ago? No, because you didn't exist. Same thing happens when you die.

Adam and Eve never existed. We evolved from monkeys. Don't you guys remember the U2 Pop concert where they show the evolution of man from being a monkey to being a two-legged human?? Humans then furthered evolved based on climate and environement and other circumstances. That's why you have Asian people, black people, Spanish people, white people, ect...

There is no God. Wake up and smell the coffee..
Old 11-26-2004, 09:23 PM   #42
War Child

And how come the Bible never mentions dinosaurs. There were dinosaurs on this earth, but the Bible says the world was created in seven days and then you had Adam and Eve.

Give me a break..

The Bible is a total joke. It makes me laugh. That's why I love The Simpsons. They make fun of "God" and "Jesus"...
Old 11-26-2004, 09:29 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

Some muddiness but some otherwise good points in there...

Christianity was a cult for the first 313 years of its existence, much like we would view something like Scientology today. Completely wacko (EDIT: in the eyes of Roman popular cuture) and only a very small minority (my apologies if there are any Scientologists here, I'm only making a point).

The only reason it caught on as big as it did was the Roman Empire. More specifically, Constantine. He got caught in a freak circumstance, became a believer in Christianity and so by default the Roman Empire was from then on Christian. Much like Henry VIII converting to Protestantism made England Protestant by default, even Akhenaten converting to believe in a henotheism based on Aten.

So then they held the Council of Nicaea to "Romanise" Christianity. They completely made it something different than it originally was. Hell, they rewrote the Bible from Genesis to Revelation to fit their needs and to make the transition from complete polytheistic paganism to complete monitheistic Christianity that much easier on themselves.

Did you know that Jesus wasn't even considered to be literally part of God until the Council of Nicaea deemed it so by a vote, and then rewrote the New Testament to fit?

So today's Christianity is a completely bastardised version of its original intention.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:32 PM   #44
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by joerags
And how come the Bible never mentions dinosaurs. There were dinosaurs on this earth, but the Bible says the world was created in seven days and then you had Adam and Eve.

Give me a break..

The Bible is a total joke. It makes me laugh. That's why I love The Simpsons. They make fun of "God" and "Jesus"...
OK, now you're just ranting. Offer some decent, thought out arguments before ripping something to shreds. This is an extremely personal topic for many people and I'm sure they don't appreciate you saying their faith is a "total joke" based on something like the Genesis creation story.

Besides, the vast majority of thinking Christians know that about 98% of everything before the book(s) of Kings is all metaphor anyways.
Old 11-26-2004, 09:32 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
We evolved from monkeys. Don't you guys remember the U2 Pop concert where they show the evolution of man from being a monkey to being a two-legged human?? Humans then furthered evolved based on climate and environement and other circumstances. That's why you have Asian people, black people, Spanish people, white people, ect...
How come white people don't have green tongues? How come my ancestors don't look any more like an ape than I do? I find the "big bang" theory and the chance that we can survive on reasonable temperatures very tiny, as well as our existence, if something supernatural never occured.

Quote:

Actually, The Simpsons has a lot of Christianity involved if you think about it. I've heard they were created by Christian fundamentalists to show the corruption of society. I've also heard that every Simpsons episode has a scriptural reference in it. Also, why would people DIE and be BEHEADED for what they believe in if it's A JOKE?