"I could care less"....??? - Page 6 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-01-2005, 12:07 AM   #76
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ILuvLarryMullen
Sometimes "girlfriend" doesn't mean someone that you're romantically involved with in the US either. It can also mean a woman's female friend. It's more commonly used by older people though. If I am going over to a friend's house my grandma will say that I am going to my girlfriends house and she is always talking about her girlfriends from high school.
My mother uses 'girlfriend' in the same sense, though she uses it a lot less than she used to because she's been getting more and more funny looks lately.

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
I see nothing wrong with girlfriend being used, I think that "partner" when used for dating heterosexuals in agonisingly bland (with the exception of de facto couples where it is more than boyfriend/girlfriend but not husband/wife).
When I think of 'girlfriend' in the romantic sense (as opposed to the other meaning just discussed), it just makes me cringe and reminds me of grade eight. Maybe I'm the only person who thinks that way? That's just what it brings to mind.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-01-2005, 12:23 AM   #77
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
And we say mate/mates for male friends ~ somehow a man cannot pull off calling his male friends 'boyfriends' without it coming of queer.
Same here, except for the mate part. Here mate means spouse.

Old 05-01-2005, 01:40 AM   #78
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli

I believe the language is also changing due to a general dumbing down. An other expression that is frequently mangled is "six pence non the wiser". This phrase is often misquoted as "six pence non the richer" which makes no sense.
I think that use comes from C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity, though I don't recall him using that phrase exactly. It's from an illustration about a child asking his father for sixpence to buy the father a birthday present. The father is happy with the present, but he's not any richer since he gave his son the money in the first place. I don't think I've heard anyone say "sixpence none the richer" apart from the band with the same name, but maybe I just don't pay enough attention to people.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:13 AM   #79
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by meegannie

I think that use comes from C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity, though I don't recall him using that phrase exactly. It's from an illustration about a child asking his father for sixpence to buy the father a birthday present. The father is happy with the present, but he's not any richer since he gave his son the money in the first place. I don't think I've heard anyone say "sixpence none the richer" apart from the band with the same name, but maybe I just don't pay enough attention to people.
Thanks for that info. I didn't know that. I haven't read 'Mere Christianity'.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:17 AM   #80
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 09:46 AM
this thread

one of my pet hates is Aluminum.

What the hell???? It's Aluminium
Old 05-01-2005, 02:19 AM   #81
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
And I really, REALLY hate the way that the british media have started using Americanisms

for example, talking about shopping malls, or sidewalks.

Old 05-01-2005, 02:26 AM   #82
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by bammo2
this thread

one of my pet hates is Aluminum.

What the hell???? It's Aluminium
lol.

My family are metallurgists so I have heard this before. The other one is Vanadium, just with pronunciation though.

I once heard a person from the USA say "vanadium" and I had no idea what they were talking about, the pronunciation was that different.
Van-a-de-um he said. We say Van-aid-e-um.

The confusion makes for interesting conversation if nothing else. lol.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:32 AM   #83
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

or Carribean

thats another one that messes with my head
Old 05-01-2005, 02:37 AM   #84
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I know I'm getting into the realms of pronunciation now, but I still get annoyed with N American visitors pronounce the city I live in as Notting-Ham, with the emphasis on the 'ham'. It's pronounced Nottingum, with the emphasis on the Nott

much like Edinburgh is not pronounced Edin-Bur-Oh or Scarborough is not pronounced Scar-Bur-Oh or Melbourne is not pronounced.....erm.....Mel-Bourne lol
Old 05-01-2005, 02:40 AM   #85
Refugee

Local Time: 08:46 AM
Oooh, what a lovely thread. Australians, New Zealanders, Canadians and Americans all debating over who butchers the glorious English language the most.

Still, you can forgive the Australians, who tend to have accents so bleeding nasal they're actually sexy. New Zealanders I have no beef with, except that they sound like Australians with severely clipped accents. Even some parts of the USA have some truly delectable accents - but I do have peeves.

I LOATHE the way some of you guys say 'nu-killer' for nuclear. PRE-sentation with a horrid accentuation of the 'pre'. 'Aluminum' has been mentioned here already, but what on Earth is the deal with 'Twosday' and 'I'-raq?

Ant.
Gas smells awful; You might as well live.

Dorothy Parker, 'Resumé'
Old 05-01-2005, 02:41 AM   #86
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
or Carribean

thats another one that messes with my head
Ditto. I once had a work calll from the Caribbean. She pronounced her country and I didn't know what she said. I know now but it sounded really foreign at the time. But Im the foreign one. I dont know why we pronounce it differently here.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:43 AM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I know I'm getting into the realms of pronunciation now, but I still get annoyed with N American visitors pronounce the city I live in as Notting-Ham, with the emphasis on the 'ham'. It's pronounced Nottingum, with the emphasis on the Nott

much like Edinburgh is not pronounced Edin-Bur-Oh or Scarborough is not pronounced Scar-Bur-Oh or Melbourne is not pronounced.....erm.....Mel-Bourne lol
I once watched a documentary on this very topic. Apparently people from the USA predominately emphasise the last part of a word, whereas Australians emphasis the first part. Hence the Marilyn M'n-row the USA people say, instead of the Mike Mun-ro, Australians say. And obviously English people too. lol.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:47 AM   #88
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

I but what on Earth is the deal with 'Twosday' and 'I'-raq?

Do you pronounce "mute" as mewet or moot, or something else? Im just curious. I say the first one.
Old 05-01-2005, 02:48 AM   #89
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony

I LOATHE the way some of you guys say 'nu-killer' for nuclear. PRE-sentation with a horrid accentuation of the 'pre'. 'Aluminum' has been mentioned here already, but what on Earth is the deal with 'Twosday' and 'I'-raq?

Ant.
Ooooooooooooh yeah I'd forgotten about those ones

And what about 'Ve-Hick-Le

Old 05-01-2005, 02:48 AM   #90
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

ooh and Mobul instead of Mo-Bile

oooooooh and Rowt instead of Route