"I could care less"....??? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-30-2005, 07:59 PM   #31
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Oh God, dont get me started on Z. It's bad enough it replaces S so often, but at least fucking pronounce it correctly!!

Ok, I'm getting annoyed lol...
I'll second the and then try to keep my trap shut!

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2005, 08:01 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:47 AM
One of my dearest friends is a super educated (literature) English guy. He always mocks American English and seems particularly bothered by the misuse of the word 'tuition' and its bastardization into 'tutelage'.

However, he also says Australian and NZ English sounds extremely hick to him, particularly the widespread addition of the letter "R" at the ends of words which end in a vowel, which he says is generally seen as a determinant of old style class (or lack thereof) in England proper.

I, on the other hand, dig the accents.

Old 04-30-2005, 08:02 PM   #33
Vocal parasite

Quote:

It's totally choice eh bro

We Kiwi bros speak better eh cuz?

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2005, 08:05 PM   #34
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:47 PM
Do we add "R"s? I thought we usually dropped them off the end and turned the word into one long aaaaaa. lol.

Your friend is probably right though. Excuse me whilst I talk to myself for a minute.....
Old 04-30-2005, 08:09 PM   #35
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
However, he also says Australian and NZ English sounds extremely hick to him, particularly the widespread addition of the letter "R" at the ends of words which end in a vowel, which he says is generally seen as a determinant of old style class (or lack thereof) in England proper.
I'd actually agree with some of that. Find an uneducated Kiwi and they just sound thick as two short planks. I come from a family that's very influenced by Britain, though, and some people have actually mistaken me for being English until I've said words like 'chance'. Apparently I now just have a mangled accent that sounds Kiwi to Australians, sort of Aussie to Kiwis, and British to random people.

Australians don't add 'r', though. That's just Kiwis. Darnce, charnce, et cetera. Australians just drag them out or chuck in a 'y'.

Edit: Wait, you said 'end with a vowel'. There go my examples! I'd say that when Kiwis say words that end with vowels, we sometimes add an 'uh' sound, like Africuh, not Africar.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2005, 08:12 PM   #36
Jesus Online

I truly adore the Kiwi accent. And not to mock it either, though I'm glad you can laugh Axver, if I do I don't usually see any accent in Australians as we speak very flatly, whereas American for example is very resonant. Example, americans roll their "R"s.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:13 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Sometimes I am mistaken for English also except its usually when I do say words like chance, dance, France, clarse, etc

Im not hearing this R at the end of vowel words when I speak.....
Old 04-30-2005, 08:14 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I don't usually see any accent in Australians
Liar, liar, pants on fire!

You told me my accent was completely different to yours.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:17 PM   #39
Jesus Online

Quote:
Originally posted by beli

Liar, liar, pants on fire!

You told me my accent was completely different to yours.
You're the exception, you dusty red hick! You just sound private school whipped, I mean educated.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:18 PM   #40
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:47 PM
I like accents, I can do them half decently ~ the trickiest bit is accenting a foreign language, trying to actually speak say Greek in a Greek way.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:21 PM   #41
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Edit: Wait, you said 'end with a vowel'. There go my examples! I'd say that when Kiwis say words that end with vowels, we sometimes add an 'uh' sound, like Africuh, not Africar.
My boss is from NZ. He actually lived in England (has a PhD from Cambridge).

And he has many, many, many times called me Martiner (instead of Martina). Usually it is when the following word starts with a vowel. For example, he will say "Martina, can you do this" but he will also say "Martiner are you going...."

I pointed it out to him once. He was completely oblivious to the fact he'd been doing it and in fact didn't even understand what I was talking about, he was that unaware of it.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:22 PM   #42
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:47 PM
"Martiner", for some reason I could see Kennedy say it like that
Old 04-30-2005, 08:23 PM   #43
Blue Crack Addict

An Australian would call you Marteenuh.

Actually, they would probably call you Marty or Marto.
Old 04-30-2005, 08:36 PM   #44
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

My boss is from NZ. He actually lived in England (has a PhD from Cambridge).

And he has many, many, many times called me Martiner (instead of Martina). Usually it is when the following word starts with a vowel. For example, he will say "Martina, can you do this" but he will also say "Martiner are you going...."

I pointed it out to him once. He was completely oblivious to the fact he'd been doing it and in fact didn't even understand what I was talking about, he was that unaware of it.
Now that I've thought about it and said both 'Martiner' and 'Martinuh' out loud ... they actually sound really similar.

A few of my friends get on my case for some of my enunciation. Usually, I have extremely good enunciation, but I'm the only person I know who can tell the difference between my pronunciations of some words. One example is 'woman' and 'women'. I reckon I say them differently, but everyone else, without fail, tells me they sound the same. Just because I refuse to pronounce 'women' as 'wimin'!

While I'm at it, I remembered something while typing the last paragraph: one other thing that bothers me is when people spell 'pronunciation' as 'pronounciation'. Only two instances of 'o', folks!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 04-30-2005, 08:41 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Now that I've thought about it and said both 'Martiner' and 'Martinuh' out loud ... they actually sound really similar.
You reckon? I dont think so. I guess Im hearing an R heavy USA accent when I hear 'Martiner'. Bit like the way people from California say rule-errrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, instead of roo-laaaaaaaaaaaaa.