"I could care less"....??? - Page 11 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2005, 12:24 AM   #151
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Yeah! OK, that's kind of what I thought. Oh you'd be so disappointed with our biscuits (especially if you thought you were getting what you think of as a biscuit).

Our biscuits generally aren't sweet, they are made of flour, shortening (or butter), baking powder, and milk. And they are often served with gravy (which I find disgusting) for breakfast.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:30 AM   #152
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra
Our biscuits generally aren't sweet, they are made of flour, shortening (or butter), baking powder, and milk. And they are often served with gravy (which I find disgusting) for breakfast.
Pardon? That sounds bizarre. Gravy as in extract of beef, brown sauce stuff? For breakfast?

Old 05-02-2005, 12:38 AM   #153
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by beli

Pardon? That sounds bizarre. Gravy as in extract of beef, brown sauce stuff? For breakfast?
Pretty much. I do think most people use a milk based gravy with some breakfast sausage tossed in for the gravy though. Still it sounds completely revolting to me also. Hugely popular in this area.

Now I don't mind biscuits (US biscuits) with a bit of butter and honey or jam for breakfast sometimes.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:11 AM   #154
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:17 PM
I'd heard that in the southern US, that really bizarre definition of 'biscuit' is used, but in northern states, a biscuit is what I would know as a biscuit, i.e. a cookie. True or false? (Edit: just saw that your location is Ohio, indra. So I presume the answer to my question is false?)

By the way, this might just be one of my biggest peeves. A BISCUIT IS A FUCKING COOKIE! *calms down*

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-02-2005, 01:15 AM   #155
Blue Crack Addict

Indra, do you have a pic of one of these biscuits. Im having a hard time comrehending this. Is it something like a cracker?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:16 AM   #156
Vocal parasite

Another thing - I've read in American books about a food called 'grits', I think it was associated with breakfast. What is it? Anyone familiar with Aussie/Kiwi/even English names know what I might know it as, or is this food a US phenomenon? The name sounds totally peculiar, as the word 'grit' to me is bits of sand or stone.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-02-2005, 04:04 AM   #157
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
Local Time: 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

Ummm.... well, what the hell do you call them?

But after reading this thread I've decided that if I ever meet any of you I'm just going to point and grunt! 'Cause I do a lot of the hated pronunciations, spellings, etc.
Sidwalk = Pavement in the UK. And Beli, yes the phrase 'pounding the pavements' is used here.

Mall = shopping centre

Here in the UK various different terms are used for what americans call Soda. Here it is mainly called 'fizzy drink' in the south, and here in the midlands and in the north it also gets called pop. It's never called Soda

What Americans call Popsicles, we call Ice Lollies

What americans call candy, we call sweets (or tuffies if you're from the East Midlands - where I come from ). Lollies here are things like Chupa Chups - sweets that come on a stick. Chocolate bars are called Chocolate bars, surprisingly enough

Biscuits here are the same as they are in Oz - the baked goods that come in such varieties as Rich Tea, ginger snap, hob nobs. Although we do tend to call the chocolate chip variety 'cookies'. But I think that's another example of the infiltration of Americanisms into our language. I don't think we really have the american version of a biscuit over here. I guess the nearest thing would be dumplings

Oh, and over here, a fag is a cigarette. Always has been, always will be
Old 05-02-2005, 04:19 AM   #158
Blue Crack Addict

Do you have those lolly fags? Ours aren't called fags anymore, now they are "fads"
Old 05-02-2005, 04:22 AM   #159
Jesus Online

Wow Australia is very limited in it's food.

Gravy is only used for dinners and maybe on some hot chips. It is made from pan juices on a roast and is salty and savoury, is also made form packet mixes from the supermarket. (all retail is called a shop or by the name of it like Myer etc, we do NOT do stores here unless it is a department store but it's limited in use)

Biscuits are sweet. They can have icing or filling, or be plain. Savoury biscuits are also referred to as biscuits but are more often referred to by their brand/type name. Like Saos or Ryvita. Biscuits are things like Tim Tams, Monte Carlos, Ginger Snaps, Tick Tocks etc.

Candy is rarely used and is that confectionary made primarily from sugar. It is that hard stuff which is a pastel colour and ends up like bisque porcelain in texture. Not common, not often used as a term.

Chocolate is any chocolate. End of story lol.

Lollies are soft or hard, but are jelly babies, jubes, snakes, red frogs etc. If it isn't a chocolate, it's a lolly. We're simple folk.

Soft drink is ALL um...soft drink. Fizzy carbonated stuff, all brands, all flavours.

Icecreams are icecream on a stick (also called a paddlepop stick but this is also a brand name for one style of icecream - but the wooden stick is the unofficial 'paddlepop', Streets (tm) make a PaddlePop which is flavoured icecream on stick). The icy watered icecreams are called...I'm not actually sure. I dont buy or eat icecream or Icy Poles (another brand name for iced watery icy things lol)

Tea is a cup of tea, but sometimes called dinner as well, just to be complicated in our otherwise simpleton existance lol.

Our pavement/sidewalks are called FOOTPATHS. Call them anything else and everyone will think you are a deadset wally. Wally is not a terribly mean or rude term, but describes a doltish kind of person. If we tell you to fuck off! with an exclamation mark, we are not being rude. We are saying "no way, get outta here! really???" we say it when we cannot believe it, often. To be rude is said minus the exclamation mark. Listen for our verbal punctuations
Old 05-02-2005, 04:26 AM   #160
Blue Crack Addict

Just to confuse things. Australians say:

*breakfast, lunch, and dinner

or

* breakfast, dinner, and tea

or

* breakfast, lunch, and tea

:woo:

Old 05-02-2005, 04:29 AM   #161
Blue Crack Addict

PS Icey Poles didnt use to be a brand name. Back before Icey Poles there were icey poles.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:32 AM   #162
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Location: In a car with House and Wilson :yikes: Let me out!! Let me oooooooouuut!!!
same here, beli

I myself say breakfast, lunch and dinner

but others say breakfast dinner and tea

or breakfast lunch and tea

some people would have breakfast, lunch, tea and supper. ie some people still stick with the tradition of having afternoon tea or 'high tea', which tends to involve sandwiches, a pot of tea and some cakes. then later on they would have supper, which is like dinner only not as heavy

anna, candy here is the same as it is there. that pastel coloured stuff. Not a big fan myself
Old 05-02-2005, 04:35 AM   #163
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

oh and yeah beli we've still got those sweet cigarettes. they're called 'candy cigarrettes' here, and they are made of the aforementioned pastel-coloured chalky 'candy'

Old 05-02-2005, 05:14 AM   #164
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:17 PM
We have those, their called Fads I think, also the old Big Boss cigars and Redskins.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:15 AM   #165
Vocal parasite

So, let me get this straight - things like Popsicles, Paddle Pops, Magnums, and all that kind of ice cream/ice lump on a stick - you Australians really don't call it an ice block?

You'd think I would've noticed this after 7.5 years.

Gig pictures | Blog