i can't wait til election day to be over, dammt, and heres why the reps ain't cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
GOP Voter Drive Accused of Tossing Cards

By DEBORAH HASTINGS

AP National Writer

In several battleground states across the country, a consulting firm funded by the Republican National Committee has been accused of deceiving would-be voters and destroying Democratic voter registration cards.

Arizona-based Sproul & Associates is under investigation in Oregon and Nevada over claims that canvassers hired by the company were instructed to register only Republicans and to get rid of registration forms completed by Democrats.

``We treat these complaints very seriously,'' said Oregon Secretary of State Bill Bradbury. The Democratic office-holder said three complaints were filed with election officials throughout the state. He declined to provide details, citing the continuing investigation.

Substitute teacher Adam Banse wanted a summer job with flexible hours, so he signed up to knock on doors in suburban Minneapolis and register people to vote.

He quit after two hours. ``They said if you bring back a bunch of Democratic cards, you'll be fired,'' Banse contends. ``At that point, I said, `Whoa. Something's wrong here.'''

Win at any cost?

I just got a phone call from the "Governator" Arnold. (yes, it was taped)

He invited me to go to Angel Stadium this Saturday to fight "special interest".

He said he would "pump me up".:huh:

At the end of the tape, did he joke about terminating the connection? :lol:

Yes, I laugh at my own jokes I know it's pathetic

DrTeeth said:
At the end of the tape, did he joke about terminating the connection? :lol:

No, but he is quite the joker.

I did go see Clinton in 92 at our county fair
grounds. It was a lot of fun.

I may try and go.

FYI...from working on the dem campaigns...it is legal to call the do not call list numbers for campaign purposes. The democrats use automated calling just as much as the repoublicans. There isn't much advantage that either side wants to give up to the other so the strategies are largely the same.

...and regarding voter fraud. Why is it that no one seems to be making a big deal that many members of our military won't get their votes counted or voter intimidation by union leaders. It's fairly easy to take any news article and spin it. I don't see many democratic campaign offices getting broken into, but I can't think of a half dozen republican offices that have been. An organized effort by the DNC? I think not, but I'm sure someone has taken that angle too. For once, I would like to vote for a leader, rather than a political machine.

:up:
Boston01 said:
...and regarding voter fraud. Why is it that no one seems to be making a big deal that many members of our military won't get their votes counted or voter intimidation by union leaders. It's fairly easy to take any news article and spin it. I don't see many democratic campaign offices getting broken into, but I can't think of a half dozen republican offices that have been. An organized effort by the DNC? I think not, but I'm sure someone has taken that angle too. For once, I would like to vote for a leader, rather than a political machine.
:ohmy: :up:

Both sides are doing some shady things, I admit it. But regardless, no vote should be disenfranchised. Its wrong on both ends.

sharky said:
Both sides are doing some shady things, I admit it. But regardless, no vote should be disenfranchised. Its wrong on both ends.
esp the military's vote.:up:

the miltitary should be given the most latitude and not have their votes obstructed by partisan democrats.

another issue-
how come the Dem's are up in arms and call it intimidation if they're asked to identify themselves at the polling place?:ohmy:

what's up w that?

db9

Last edited:
I'm tired of phone calls and e-mails asking me to give $$. I've already donated to the Democratic campaign, dammit, I'm not rolling in dough.

diamond said:

the miltitary should be given the most latitude and not have their votes obstructed by partisan democrats.

Oh please.

Nobody's equal until everybody's equal. The dirt poor Americans living in the ghetto should be given the exact same amount of latitude as the service people.

Why are some people more equal than others, except perhaps that their votes swing your way?

diamond said:

another issue-
how come the Dem's are up in arms and call it intimidation if they're asked to identify themselves at the polling place?:ohmy:

what's up w that?

db9

Because 1) it's being done in traditionally Democratic neighborhoods and not Republican ones and 2) no one should have to identify their political party or anything else other than a standard ID at a polling place and 3) this is not a blanket policy -- its only being done in the Democratic minority neighborhoods. If you want to ask for ID, that's fine, but do what NY is doing. ID everyone that shows up at the polls, not just certain people. These are Republican policies that are acting like only minorities and Democrats would corrupt the vote.

diamond said:

Right. Just blame the Democrats for it. :|

Not everyone in the military is pro-Bush. One of the guys I work with is a former Marine who keeps in touch with a lot of current Marines who are currently in Iraq, and the overall level of distrust the armed forces has for the administration is higher than he's ever seen it.

Diemen said:

Not everyone in the military is pro-Bush.
I don't know,

I heard Cheney wanted the Falluhah campaign delayed until they had signed their absentee ballots.

Did not want to lose any precious votes.

anitram said:

Oh please.

Nobody's equal until everybody's equal. The dirt poor Americans living in the ghetto should be given the exact same amount of latitude as the service people.

Why are some people more equal than others, except perhaps that their votes swing your way?

I agree my friend. As for me, U.S elections are nothing but anti-democratic facts. That´s the truth, is so pathetic and stupid the fact that some parts of that country are more important than other, as well with persons, that´s not a democracy. Democracy is simple: a candidate with more amount of votes must win, that´s all !!!! but U.S policy isn´t that at all. In the 2000 elections Gore won more votes than Bush, that´s a fact, but, given that vote-system, Bush "won".

By the way... are you Chilean, aren´t you ?, you know... "El Pueblo Unido Jamás Será Vencido" ;)

Whoa! Hey there! The U.S. is NOT a Democracy!!! It drives me crazy when people play that card. Our founding fathers were very distrustful of the masses and wanted to safeguard against unworthy candidates being elected. The electoral college was created as a hedge to help prevent multiple candidates receiving high percentages of votes and the winner ending up with, say, 20% of the vote. It reduces the chances of special interests tipping an election. The electoral college may not be perfect, but it helps to preserve the essence of the United "States."

I have been informed that people sent out by Republicans are going to challenge voters at the booths on Tues and make some people who aren't on a "main list" prove that they are registered.

During the 2000 campaign, I got a total of one phone call urging me to vote. This year I'm averaging 4-5 a day (I'm in New Mexico, a swing state)!! 99% have been from the Republicans. Yesterday, finally, I got a call--an actual human being rather than a recorded message--from the Kerry folks offering me a ticket to see Kerry and Clinton who were here today but I couldn't make it. Would've been fun, though.

anitram said:

Oh please.

anitram-
u missed something here along w diemen.

you're correct in implying that all votes should be treated equally.
all voters sometimes shouldn't be however.
here's why:
the reason that the military may need latitude is for logistical reasons.
a person stationed over seas may have moved several times over before receiving his or her ballot. he may mail his ballot weeks before election day and it may hit the states after election day
would that be fair to that person?

is it the same as:

if a person in the inner city 2 blocks away from a polling place blows off voting until 7:30 pm after the polls have been closed because they were busy having tatties during happy hour..is that the same as the disenfranchised milltary person over seas?

in florida 2000 the democrats tried to do this. they attempted to block 2500 military votes that were mailed days before the election but were eagar to count ex felon votes first.:hmm:

diemen-
the state of Penn is in a state of contoversy over this issue right now. Gov. Ed Rendell (a Dem.) was just embarrassed into extending the deadline for count of the military vote once it became public he was trying to supress their vote-ala Florida 2000.
Historically the military vote is about 70 per cent GOP, regardless of who you say your military pals may be.;)

sharky-
i think youre correct, everybody should gladly show their ID.
Regardless of political party/gender/race/creed/religion, IDs should be shown, this eliminates all fraud.

My brother Deep suggested that the General Election Ballot should be simplified and federalized.
You should have to color in w a number 2 pencil your choice.
It should be a stanardized form for all 50 states:up:
No chads, no machines, no sexy f#ckups. just color in your choice after having been properly IDed and I think this would take away alot of the aniexty and nail-biting thru out the voting process.

Hope I made sense to some of u folks tonight.
Have to run as my fiance'e is calling for me:):wave:

Ciao,
db9

Last edited:
I'm sick of the phone calls, too - actually I'm just as sick as the Democratic ones as I am the Republican ones. And when I went to my car after church this morning I found a flyer from the Republican party on my windshield, with "Who Shares Your Values?" printed at the top. :| In other words, I'm supposedly a bad Christian because I plan to vote for Kerry. :madspit:

Back
Top Bottom