I am just tired of them all. - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-02-2005, 05:49 PM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the late 70s, early 80's...
Posts: 8,465
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Halifax


And who is this next Labor man you are thinking of?
Guess, but I will give you some clues.

Well educated. Articulate. Non-unionist. Resonates well with most Australians. Credibility coming out of his ears. Makes tough principled decisions. A born leader. Age has moved him from a off-the-planet greenie to a responsible center-left politician.
__________________

__________________
timothius is offline  
Old 11-02-2005, 05:56 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl




Hurry up and get older, U2democrat.
Let me get Tim elected, and work for him, then get Mark Warner elected president, and Barack Obama after that, then who knows what. Just as long as these posts don't come back to haunt me.
__________________

__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 11-02-2005, 06:07 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: London/Sydney
Posts: 6,608
Local Time: 04:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by timothius


Guess, but I will give you some clues.

Well educated. Articulate. Non-unionist. Resonates well with most Australians. Credibility coming out of his ears. Makes tough principled decisions. A born leader. Age has moved him from a off-the-planet greenie to a responsible center-left politician.
Will always stand in the back row of group photos at world forums?
__________________
Earnie Shavers is offline  
Old 11-02-2005, 06:12 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the late 70s, early 80's...
Posts: 8,465
Local Time: 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Earnie Shavers


Will always stand in the back row of group photos at world forums?


That's brilliant.
__________________
timothius is offline  
Old 11-02-2005, 06:50 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
BonosSaint's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3,566
Local Time: 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat




Definitely don't give up. If you do, well then the other side has won...and I dare not give them that satisfaction of having this Democrat down for the count. Get on the inside and bring 'em down from there if you have to. Maybe because y'all don't have major elections going on right now you're not as fired up as I am, but just wait 'till next year with the midterms. Bring it on!

Maybe some people choose to work in arenas other than politics for change. There may be a handful of politicians out there who are genuine leaders, but most of them are propelled (when they are propelled) by social change that takes on a life of its own and forces them out of the status quo. Politicians are ultimately followers of the wind. They do not bring about social change. They reflect the change that has already begun elsewhere. So not being "fired up" about politics doesn't mean disinterest, just means we might follow a different muse.
__________________
BonosSaint is offline  
Old 11-02-2005, 06:58 PM   #51
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,294
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonosSaint



Maybe some people choose to work in arenas other than politics for change. There may be a handful of politicians out there who are genuine leaders, but most of them are propelled (when they are propelled) by social change that takes on a life of its own and forces them out of the status quo. Politicians are ultimately followers of the wind. They do not bring about social change. They reflect the change that has already begun elsewhere. So not being "fired up" about politics doesn't mean disinterest, just means we might follow a different muse.
Absolutely.

There are people who are effecting real, positive change, on a small scale that has nothing to do with legislating or participating in the process of elections.

The government to me, is ineffective, and loaded up with the same old, rich white men as always. But we can make a difference on our own, in our homes, and in our communities, through volunteer work or through the type of work we do for a living.

Politicians and politics in general give me the dry heaves.
__________________
anitram is online now  
Old 11-02-2005, 07:45 PM   #52
Blue Crack Addict
 
verte76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: hoping for changes
Posts: 23,331
Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
I would vote for Melon and U2Democrat tomorrow.

No campaigning necessary, no waste of money.
So would I.
__________________
verte76 is offline  
Old 11-02-2005, 09:26 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 03:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram


Absolutely.

There are people who are effecting real, positive change, on a small scale that has nothing to do with legislating or participating in the process of elections.

The government to me, is ineffective, and loaded up with the same old, rich white men as always. But we can make a difference on our own, in our homes, and in our communities, through volunteer work or through the type of work we do for a living.

Politicians and politics in general give me the dry heaves.

I didn't say you can't create change if you don't do politics, nor do I mean to imply that. I'm sorry you feel that way about all politicians though
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 11-02-2005, 10:36 PM   #54
New Yorker
 
Sherry Darling's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,857
Local Time: 11:39 PM
I totally agree that you don't have to be involved in politics to affect positive change (in fact, it might help ). Problem is, though, whether you affect politics or not, they affect you. I guess that's the reality that has me personally involved.

I would also like to share a thought about a point Antriam has raised often about voting--or boycotting. I can fully understand someone chosing not to vote. But I guess I'd also like to point out that there is a HUGE difference between an organized boycott and a bunch of people just not showing up.

Finally, if I may, some more words of encouragement. They're from the Bible and I hope my non-Christian friends here wil not be offended but will understand the encouragement in a general sense. I heard Rev. Jim Wallis (from Sojourners) speak tonight, and he reminded us that even when things seem at their worst socially, with poverty and war and violence seemingly everywhere

1. With God, ALL things are possible and
2. Faith is the substance of things not seen.

We are smaller than poverty and war, but He isn't.
__________________

__________________
Sherry Darling is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com