I am just tired of them all. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 03:36 AM
unfortunately, i think you do feel our pain, irvine. i like every american person i've ever met, but honestly, i dont want my country to be a mirror of yours and we are dangerously close to becoming that. howard is hell bent on removing what people have fought so bloody hard for for the last 15 or so years in industrial relations by getting rid of workers rights and crying that our economy cannot cope long term with the current system. the alternative is going to cripple us. it will remove workers rights, rights which as he so happily points out, can be fought, but who can afford to with no union support? what process worker can afford to hire a lawyer to get back their job when they fought their boss over annual leave? what working mother is going to pay a laywer to get back her 2-3 days job share arrangement which is now to be abolished? australia currently has the most flexible working envrinment of any country. we are going to lose it all so we can become a baby america. i could rant about these IR changes all day, but i'll stop. i could rant all day in general. but that wont achieve anything. much like trying to fight it.

but still, it would be cool if you were australian

Old 11-01-2005, 06:13 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Re: Re: I am just tired of them all.

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Sorry, but I fail to understand your point. Most of what you have listed are signs of a healthy democracy at work.

Would you prefer a one party state where there was no debate about anything?
It just would have been nice if the debate had started before Bush fucked up so royally.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:15 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
but still, it would be cool if you were australian

i do a really crap aussie accent.

and Nicole Kidman has been in DC these past few days filming her movie "The Vanishing." something about UFO's?

your country just looks like fun -- all the one-dimensional stereotypes i've absorbed from 28 years of being obsessed with dolphins, the ocean, swimmers, surfers, and Foster's beer commercials have truly created a Down Under fantasyland in my little mind of surf, sun, fun, interesting animals with even more interesting names, and shirtless hot dudes tossing shrimp on the barbie.

i even went on a few dates with an Aussie. his name was Neil and he was a cancer researcher. didn't work out.

i fear as if your well thought out issues, which are very similar to what happened in the US in the early 1980s under the "reagan revolution," are doing much to soil that fun image.

please, don't ruin my illusions of Aussie Fun Land.

Old 11-01-2005, 06:16 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Never before, said Mr. Frist, "have ever I been slapped in the face with such an affront to the leadership of this grand institution."
send this worthless crybaby packing

i would actually rather have Trent Lott back

at least he had a history of some reaching across party lines and he would not be pandering the the right-wing kooks for a 2008 prez bid
Old 11-01-2005, 06:27 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Ft. Worth Frog
It's time to form the Melonocrats The party of common sense!
Entering politics has entered my mind more than once lately. Most of the problem is that I don't know where to start.

Melon
Old 11-01-2005, 06:28 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

What I don't understand is why countries like Australia and Canada would want to become 'more like us' when they can clearly see that it hasn't worked out well for us at all. We are a living example of what happens when you take away the social safety net.

One of my observations from spending time in Australia is that they don't have nearly the same amount of homeless people on the street, even in the big cities, compared to our cities.

I mean, are greedy politicians and the rich who always want more the only motivation here? Don't let them get away with it!
Old 11-01-2005, 06:30 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Entering politics has entered my mind more than once lately. Most of the problem is that I don't know where to start.

Melon
Start working for local candidates...get your name and face out there. That's what I'm doing and I'm seeing it pay off.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:54 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Calluna
What I don't understand is why countries like Australia and Canada would want to become 'more like us' when they can clearly see that it hasn't worked out well for us at all. We are a living example of what happens when you take away the social safety net.
I've yet to meet a Canadian who wants to become more like the US. The closest I've come to are those who want less taxes, but even in those circles, they wouldn't take lower taxes if they have to take all the other crap that comes along with it.

If I were an American, I wouldn't vote. The Republicans repulse me on an unspeakable level. The Democrats are spineless with no agenda, and frankly just take marching orders from different corporate interests. The Greens are not fit to lead or govern and same goes for the Libertarians.

There is no viable option at all.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:10 PM   #24
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

you are a gay and in violation of God's natural laws, therefore you are by definition unfit to hold office.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

you are a gay and in violation of God's natural laws, therefore you are by definition unfit to hold office.
What about a straight liberal female who's all for gay rights and a womans right to choose?
Old 11-01-2005, 07:15 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

you are by definition unfit to hold office.
Fortunately the one good thing GWB has done for this country is prove that anyone can hold office, unfit or not.

melon/U2democrat 2012

Let women and gays run the damn country!!!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:25 PM   #27
New Yorker

I'd vote for that (will she be old enough for Vice President?)

Anitram,

I agree to an extent, but at least the Dems are finally doing somethings ballsy. I hope they shut the Senate down if the evil Hatch or the stepforn Cronym (sp) invites the nuclear option.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:29 PM   #28
War Child

There seems to be, finally, an upwelling of disgust for both parties everywhere I look. This would be a perfect time for moderates to split into a third party.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:34 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

i wouldn't be old enough.

I'll be 35 in the year...um...hold on I have to do the math in my head this may take awhile...november 5 2021 i will be 35. I'll be 19 in 4 days though!
Old 11-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #30
New Yorker

Oh well, maybe we can change the rules for you!

Happy Birthday Miss Scorpio.

No wonder your so smart. That's the same as my Grandma's.

I'm a scorpio too - hehe