I am concerned that Bush is taking drugs that impair judgement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DebbieSG

Refugee
C-span reported that Bush is in the last stages of diplomacy, but many callers have noticed strange facial gestures and ticks. There is the possibility he is taking prescription drugs that impair judgement, as he tries to lead us into a war with Saddam. This will lead us ALL into disaster!

Either Bush stops taking drugs, so we can rationally decide whether to invade and topple Saddam, or we should impeach Bush so that someone who does not take drugs can decide this matter with a level, sober NORMAL head. We are talking major casualties here if anything is done without clear thinking...what do the U2 fans here think should be done about the president when he does not act normally??

I hope people will feel free to say whatever is on their mind, cause i myself am very confused by this situation!

(something about this is a little silly, but on the other hand it is a real terrible problem...or do you see somthing else entirely?)

If I were Bush right now, I'd be having rather full on spasms, not tics, so I dunno. Perhaps there is a very valid reason for this too, I dont think we should assume drugs unless there is evidence of this.
Even if ole Bush was a pill popper, no need to be saying he cant make decisions. He has been working on this for a while now and by no means works alone. We blame Bush, but think of the small army of staff he has who help him run the country and in turn decide these things. Pardon that pun too.

But yeah, if I was Bush I would likely have a drug addiction by now, possibly be an alcoholic, or borderline anyway, and no doubt would be severely suffering from lack of sleep. In other words, I'd plain look like shit. Cant say I blame him!

Interesting thread Debbie, fascinating to see where this leads!

DebbieSG said:
C-span reported that Bush is in the last stages of diplomacy, but many callers have noticed strange facial gestures and ticks. There is the possibility he is taking prescription drugs that impair judgement, as he tries to lead us into a war with Saddam. This will lead us ALL into disaster!

Either Bush stops taking drugs, so we can rationally decide whether to invade and topple Saddam, or we should impeach Bush so that someone who does not take drugs can decide this matter with a level, sober NORMAL head. We are talking major casualties here if anything is done without clear thinking...what do the U2 fans here think should be done about the president when he does not act normally??

I hope people will feel free to say whatever is on their mind, cause i myself am very confused by this situation!

(something about this is a little silly, but on the other hand it is a real terrible problem...or do you see somthing else entirely?)

you're kidding me, right??:eyebrow:

This is a terrible thread.

Rumor has it that W. has also got an ingrown toe nail... I think we should call for an impeachment hearing because his mile has slipped above the 6 minute mark.

Beefeater

Klaus said:
Well i'm pretty sure if Bush whould drink again or use illegal drugs the Doctors and the Vice President would do his Job also they tolerated a President with Altzheimer.

Klaus

Reagan wasn't diagnosed with Alzheimer's until well after he'd left office. The offspring of someone with Alzheimer's has a 50% chance of getting the disease themselves. That's the only factor in any future cases of Alzheimers as far as being able to predict whether or not someone is going to get it. When Reagan was President neither he nor anyone else had any idea he would get it someday; he didn't have it then. If you're the kid of someone with Alzheimer's it's like some horrible sentence hanging over your head, a 50% chance of getting it. I'd hate to be one of his kids based on these statistics. I may have to put up with being an autistic but I sure am glad I don't have Alzheimer's in my family. I never liked Reagan the politician but I'm truly sorry he and his family have had to put up with this nightmare disease.

verte76 said:

Reagan wasn't diagnosed with Alzheimer's until well after he'd left office. The offspring of someone with Alzheimer's has a 50% chance of getting the disease themselves. That's the only factor in any future cases of Alzheimers as far as being able to predict whether or not someone is going to get it. When Reagan was President neither he nor anyone else had any idea he would get it someday; he didn't have it then. If you're the kid of someone with Alzheimer's it's like some horrible sentence hanging over your head, a 50% chance of getting it. I'd hate to be one of his kids based on these statistics. I may have to put up with being an autistic but I sure am glad I don't have Alzheimer's in my family. I never liked Reagan the politician but I'm truly sorry he and his family have had to put up with this nightmare disease.

:up:

Thank you for saying that verte...very nice post.

I really get annoyed when people pick on a poor man with Alzheimer's and insinuate that it has anything to do with his performance in office.

If someone doesn't like Reagan, fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion but please base that dislike on something he did or didn't do while in office. Bringing Alzheimer's into it is really low and uncalled for.

Bono's American Wife said:

:up:

Thank you for saying that verte...very nice post.

I really get annoyed when people pick on a poor man with Alzheimer's and insinuate that it has anything to do with his performance in office.

If someone doesn't like Reagan, fine, everyone is entitled to an opinion but please base that dislike on something he did or didn't do while in office. Bringing Alzheimer's into it is really low and uncalled for.

No, it's not cool. I didn't like Reagan the politician. I went to about a thousand demonstrations protesting his administration's policies. I've kept all of my demonstration signs, all 28 of them! But of course this had nothing to do with Alzheimer's or whatever. When he was president the most famous victim of Alzheimer's was Rita Hayworth, the actress. Someone can call me an idiotic liberal :censored:hole, but please not an "autistic :censored:hole".

bush_coke.jpg

yeah I agree on the Alzheimer's thing. Not cool.

Besides, there's a billion and one policy reasons you can diss Ronald Reagan. No need to attack the man's health problems after he left office.

I always like when people reveal their true colors. I guess if you disagree with someone's policies -- just attack them personally while you derive pleasure in their personal tragedy.

gabrielvox said:
yeah I agree on the Alzheimer's thing. Not cool.

Besides, there's a billion and one policy reasons you can diss Ronald Reagan. No need to attack the man's health problems after he left office.

Isn't that the truth. Gosh, you've got Iran-Contra, a scandal, his Latin American policy, a fiasco, a huge deficit, the pandering to the religious right-wingers................egads. I wasn't a happy camper.

I'm sorry that Reagan has that disease - i'm sorry about every person who has a something like it, it can't be cured.
I thought there were Alzheimer rumours allready when he President.
I didn't want to attack him personal, i just thought they allready knew it and let him finish his job because they thought it was not that bad at the time.

I think the US did a great job to protect his privacy and make sure that you don't see pictures of him now in the media.

But nevertheless i'm sure that every president who has a drug problem or other disease which has a serious effect on his jugding should be replaced by his vicepresident that's one of the jobs of the doctors.

I'm sorry if i attacked him personally, i didn't want to do so.

Klaus

Is Bush a "Dry Drunk"?

Actually, I think this is a very serious issue. The follow in an excerpt from an article I read, which explains a little how his previous "youthful indescretions" may be catching up to him. It's, of course, a slanted piece, but the facts are interesting to chew on...

DRY DRUNK
GW Bush is highly regarded for "kicking" the twin demons of cocaine and alcohol addiction. If he is still off both wagons ? and there is no proof that isn't ? such a triumph, encouraged and aided by his wife, is commendable.

When probing the mysteries of GW's brain chemistry, a key point to ponder is that damage done to brain cells from drug abuse is permanent and irreversible.

Quaker and university professor Katherine van Wormer co-authored the definitive, 2002, Addiction Treatment. This expert writes that "George W. Bush manifests all the classic patterns of what alcoholics in recovery call 'the dry drunk'. His behavior is consistent with being brought on by years of heavy drinking and possible cocaine use." [Counterpunch Oct. 11, 2002]

"Dry drunk," explains the professor, "is a slang term used by members and supporters of Alcoholics Anonymous and substance abuse counselors to describe the recovering alcoholic who is no longer drinking - one who is dry, but whose thinking is clouded."

Such an individual is 'dry' but not truly sober. Such individuals tend to go to overboard. A good example of Bush' "polarized thinking" is his call for "crusades" based on "infinite justice" for "evil-doers" comprising an "axis of evil".

Bush's "obsessive repetition" also remind this professor, "of many of the recovering alcoholics/addicts I had treated." Van Wormer worriers, "His power, in fact, is such that if he collapses into paranoia, a large part of the world will collapse with him."

Paranoia? Impatience? Rigid judgmental outlook? Grandiose behavior? Childish behavior? Irresponsible behavior? Irrational rationalization? Projection? Overreaction?

- these are all "dry drunk" traits.

Van Wormer observers that Bush's pompous pledge: "We must be prepared to stop rogue states and their terrorist clients before they are able to threaten or use weapons of mass destruction" is a projection from the world's leading rogue state preparing to attack with nuclear weapons.

"Bush's tendency to dichotomize reality" should be emphasized. Prof. van Wormer describes this is as either/or reasoning - "either you are with us or against us". A White House spokesperson puts it this way: "The President considers this nation to be at war, and, as such, considers any opposition to his policies to be no less than an act of treason.'' [Capitol Hill Blue Jan, 22, 2003]

BUSH'S BINGES ? HISTORY IMPACTS THE PRESENT
Bush's binges were legendary. Van Wormer describes "years of binge drinking starting in college, at least one conviction for DUI in 1976 in Maine, and one arrest before that for a drunken episode involving theft of a Christmas wreath." She adds:

"The Bush biography reveals the story of a boy named for his father, sent to the exclusive private school in the East where his father's reputation as star athlete and later war hero were still remembered. The younger George's achievements were dwarfed in the school's memory of his father. Athletically he could not achieve his father's laurels, being smaller and perhaps less strong. His drinking bouts and lack of intellectual gifts held him back as well. His military record was mediocre as compared to his father's as well. [He went AWOL] "

In Fortunate Son, Bush himself explained: "Alcohol began to compete with my energies ... I'd lose focus". Though he once said he couldn't remember a day he hadn't had a drink, he quickly added the giveaway phrase that he didn't believe he was "clinically alcoholic".

Van Wormer notes that "Bush drank heavily for over 20 years until he made the decision to abstain at age 40. About this time he became a 'born again Christian' ? going as usual from one extreme to the other." When asked in an interview about his reported cocaine use, he answered reasonably, "I'm not going to talk about what I did 20 to 30 years ago".

One motive driving Dubya could be his need "to prove himself to his father - to achieve what his father failed to do - to finish the job of the Gulf War, to get the 'evildoer' Saddam." Adds van Wormer, "His drive to finish his father's battles is of no small significance, psychologically."

BRAIN DAMAGE
According to Van Wormer, "scientists can now observe changes that occur in the brain as a result of heavy alcohol and other drug abuse. Some of these changes may be permanent."

Van Wormer characterizes this damage as "barely noticeable but meaningful." Researchers have found that brain chemistry irregularities caused by long bouts of drinking or drug abuse cause "messages in one part of the brain to become stuck there. This leads to maddening repetition of thoughts."

One of these powerful "stuck" thoughts, says van Wormer, is that "President Bush seems unduly focused upon getting revenge on Saddam Hussein ('He tried to kill my Dad'), leading the country and the world into war, accordingly."

Grandiosity is another major trait of former addicts brain-damaged by their addiction. Bush has reversed the successful, five-decade old U.S. policy of containment and no first strikes. Now he says, Americans can attack anyone, anywhere at any time with any weapons of their choosing ? including banned cluster bomb munitions, radioactive explosives and nuclear bombs.

DebbieSG said:
or we should impeach Bush so that someone who does not take drugs can decide this matter with a level, sober NORMAL head. QUOTE]

No Impeachment is for Presidents who LIE under OATH!

Are you kidding me? I can't believe this is even a topic of discussion! You people have way too much time on your hands trying to critique what the President's facial jestures are and then saying he is on drugs? Yeah, that's good journalism. Come on.

If I were President, I can pretty much guarantee I would be a nervous wreck right now. Under the circumstances, I think W is doing a remarkable job keeping his composure through all this!

You know, instead of trying to start rediculous rumors...try to think about what you are going to say before you say it. Because it is just spewing with toliet trash on some of these rediculous posts.

How's about impeechment for president's who were never justly elected. You can call such an accusation leftist whining but the facts point to that rather disturbing conclusion.

Oh and just becaude we happen to consider Bush a disgrace, doesn't mena we think Clinton was a saint. The stuff that has come out since he left office finished any sympathy I had for the man. Still a mile higher than any president since since Carter.

Blacksword said:
How's about impeechment for president's who were never justly elected.

Really, now...Tell me Blackie, how was the President never justly elected? You may have forgotten about the Electoral College. Go back to Civics 101 and read about it. You might learn something about our country other than what you think. It is what sets America apart from other nations! We don't live in a democracy as you may think. It is called a Representative Republic and it works for a reason.

The Wanderer said:
I always like when people reveal their true colors. I guess if you disagree with someone's policies -- just attack them personally while you derive pleasure in their personal tragedy.

true colors is a great song by a female singer whose name i can't remember, really beautiful...

has there been attacks on people's "policies" here? I didn't know people had "policies" along with the little pictures that go with your names. I don't think there is any need to rub it in when a person is having a trajedy. Can you tell us, Wanderer, what is the issue that is causing you trouble, and then no one will use that as an excuse for a laugh?

To me, pleasure should be something that is shared. I can empathyze with feeling like the victim, that is a very hard thing to suffer through. But if you persevere, and let go of the burdens, then there is a chance we can laugh at a joke that is funny to both of us!

(a slight "foray" into philosophy, please pardon the verbosity)
Chill!

Re: Re: I am concerned that Bush is taking drugs that impair judgement

swizzlestick said:
DebbieSG said:
or we should impeach Bush so that someone who does not take drugs can decide this matter with a level, sober NORMAL head. QUOTE]

No Impeachment is for Presidents who LIE under OATH!

Are you kidding me? I can't believe this is even a topic of discussion! You people have way too much time on your hands trying to critique what the President's facial jestures are and then saying he is on drugs? Yeah, that's good journalism. Come on.

If I were President, I can pretty much guarantee I would be a nervous wreck right now. Under the circumstances, I think W is doing a remarkable job keeping his composure through all this!

You know, instead of trying to start rediculous rumors...try to think about what you are going to say before you say it. Because it is just spewing with toliet trash on some of these rediculous posts.

People were actually calling in, one after the other, to a TV late night talk show, pointing out the problems of Bush's facial abnormalities. I DID NOT make this up or invent a false report of the speech. People in America seem very concerned about the fact that Bush MAY be taking some kind of drug that is showing up as an evident problem in their eyes. Please don't accuse me of slander, or spewing trash, that is not me, on drugs (prescription) or otherwise. End rant.

Re: Re: I am concerned that Bush is taking drugs that impair judgement

swizzlestick said:
You know, instead of trying to start rediculous rumors...try to think about what you are going to say before you say it. Because it is just spewing with toliet trash on some of these rediculous posts. [/B]

Actually this was in the news Friday in the Washington Post. So technically Debbie is not intentionally starting a rumor when all of the readers of the Washington Post got a chance to read it for themselves.

Now why would a respectable newspaper print such a thing?

Maybe becasue the President did not ask their reporter to sepak on Thursday night?

Back
Top Bottom