I admire this woman!!! And what her thoughts on Islam Are. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:12 PM
I admire this woman!!! And what her thoughts on Islam Are.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:36 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:12 AM
She's making blanket statements. For example, let's take the example of the Muslims who destroyed the Buddha statues, which was certainly a shameful thing to do. That was the Taliban. The Taliban represents Muslilms as a whole about like Pat Robertson represents Christians. Some people insist that the deeds of the lunatic fringe are the fault of every follower of the Islamic faith as a whole. This is a mistake. There are plenty of Muslims who do not want to use force to convert anyone. The greatest scientists of the Middle Ages were Muslims, flourishing in a time in which a backward Christian Europe produced the Inquisition. So you can't say they haven't contributed to science, if you're going to talk about contribution to science.

Old 07-28-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well it has switched roles. Now they are backwards. I did watch a video on islam by National Geographic and it was interesting, but I feel that Islam has moved back to the dark ages.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 08:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Justin24
Well it has switched roles. Now they are backwards. I did watch a video on islam by National Geographic and it was interesting, but I feel that Islam has moved back to the dark ages.
That must be easy for someone who has never been to any of the countries those people live in.

edit: Or read a book about them, for that matter.

edit2: A book by an author who is not a registered Republican, preferably.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I dont read Registered republican or democratic junk. Have you been to any of those countries? I was speaking to my muslim friend and I said what do people expect people to think of islam if people who practice islam have not reached out to people to explain to them the real religion. Governments in the middle east are not doing anything to curb the tide of the extremist groups, which only widens the suspicion and anger towards the religion.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

It's not Islam as a whole that has moved backwards. It's a lunatic fringe that has always existed, still exists and will always exist. It's in the nature of religions to have lunatic fringes. Mainstream Muslims don't want to kill anyone, and only get violent in self-defense. No one tried to convert me in Turkey. People there knew damn well I wasn't a Muslim. People shouldn't be talking in terms of an entire religion, with a billion adherents, which is the fastest growing religion in the world. I think some people feel threatened, and this is why they are spewing hatred of this religious tradition.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

But you see in the middle ages the Catholic church was a very prominent power. Today Hamas and Hezbolla are doing the same.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:11 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I dont read Registered republican or democratic junk. Have you been to any of those countries?
For the record, all_i_want is a secular Turk.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
I dont read Registered republican or democratic junk. Have you been to any of those countries?
Yes, I have actually. I was in Lebanon 3 years ago. Quite a pleasant town. I also happen to live in a country full of muslims, and although I am not much of a believer, I will not stand for the condescending attitude towards them.

There are of course people who have very conservative attitudes, laughable ones even. But as far as I've seen in the US and even in this forum every once in a while, such attitudes are hardly isolated in the Middle East.

Frankly, I think I have had enough the arrogance and the 'we know whats best for everyone' attitudes. Don't tell me that the US is a land of miracles that we all should aspire to become. It's bullshit, and it is way too much to claim for a country that has yet to stand the test of time.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:23 PM   #10
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want
Frankly, I think I have had enough the arrogance and the 'we know whats best for everyone' attitudes. Don't tell me that the US is a land of miracles that we all should aspire to become. It's bullshit, and it is way too much to claim for a country that has yet to stand the test of time.

the US is the best thing that's happened to everyone everywhere. we're perfect. everyone knows that. everyone wants to be us and live like us. even if they don't want to admit it. everything the American military does is perfect and flawless, and our president is a visionary who has never made a mistake and 25 million iraqis are now liberated and free and own puppies and hold hands beneath rainbows and bask in the sunshine of democracy totally free of sectarian vengence killing and a low level civil war.

come on. admit it. fess up.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:12 AM
Quote:
Governments in the middle east are not doing anything to curb the tide of the extremist groups, which only widens the suspicion and anger towards the religion.
Fear of Islam is a useful tool for the globalist neo-con agenda.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:28 PM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

the US is the best thing that's happened to everyone everywhere. we're perfect. everyone knows that. everyone wants to be us and live like us. even if they don't want to admit it. everything the American military does is perfect and flawless, and our president is a visionary who has never made a mistake and 25 million iraqis are now liberated and free and own puppies and hold hands beneath rainbows and bask in the sunshine of democracy totally free of sectarian vengence killing and a low level civil war.

come on. admit it. fess up.
You make compelling points. I should've known better. Now, can I please see some sunshine of democracy? Please?

Old 07-28-2006, 06:34 PM   #13
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by all_i_want

You make compelling points. I should've known better. Now, can I please see some sunshine of democracy? Please?

if you want the sunshine of democracy, i suggest you let the US invade Turkey. first, we'll get a UN Resolution that doesn't authorize force, but then say that it does, and then invade you anyway against everyone's objections. then, we won't send it enough troops to guarantee security and will say, "stuff happens," when your museums are looted and death squads funded by iran infiltrate the new military and police forces and then use their uniforms and influence to carry out reprisal killings, often upwards of 3,000 a month but that won't be relevant, see, becuase you will have had a democraticallty elected government, and that's all that matters, even if they don't govern anything and can't even provide a basic level of security to an increasingly radicalized population. soon, medieval Islamic practices will start to seep into your once secular nation, but that will be okay, see, because you have a democracy, so security and modernity don't matter even though people say that it does, it doesn't, because as long as we have a single election to point to, every single thing that has gone wrong really hasn't gone wrong because that single election has retroactively legitmized and justified every single thing that has ever happened because the US is perfect you see, and you want to be like us.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:36 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

First off I am not "Afraid" of Islam. No this country is not perfect, we are far from that. Turkey is a country on my "Must Visit" list. But can you answer me why non of the Imams have done nothing to curb the islamic extremist groups or governments?
Old 07-28-2006, 06:37 PM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

if you want the sunshine of democracy, i suggest you let the US invade Turkey. first, we'll get a UN Resolution that doesn't authorize force, but then say that it does, and then invade you anyway against everyone's objections. then, we won't send it enough troops to guarantee security and will say, "stuff happens," when your museums are looted and death squads funded by iran infiltrate the new military and police forces and then use their uniforms and influence to carry out reprisal killings, often upwards of 3,000 a month but that won't be relevant, see, becuase you will have had a democraticallty elected government, and that's all that matters, even if they don't govern anything and can't even provide a basic level of security to an increasingly radicalized population. soon, medieval Islamic practices will start to seep into your once secular nation, but that will be okay, see, because you have a democracy, so security and modernity don't matter even though people say that it does, it doesn't, because as long as we have a single election to point to, every single thing that has gone wrong really hasn't gone wrong because that single election has retroactively legitmized and justified every single thing that has ever happened because the US is perfect you see, and you want to be like us.
cool. can i be president? pretty please. i swear i wont do ANYTHING!