Hypothetical Abortion Situations... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2006, 10:37 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Hypothetical Abortion Situations...

I was thinking about this recently. Are there ever reasons that you'd support having an abortion? Here are some unlikely, but still realistic scenarios, and I'd be curious to know one's personal reaction:

1) A woman and her husband are trying to get pregnant, and there have been difficulties that have lasted years. In an unfortunate circumstance, the woman is raped and is then later found to be pregnant by the rapist. If you were the woman, would you be able to keep the child?

2) A pregnant woman, after getting a test done, discovers that the fetus has tested positive for a chromosomal abnormality that will leave him severely mentally impaired, such that he will be incapable of taking care of himself for the rest of his life. If you were the woman, would you be able to keep the child?

3) The fetus has tested positive for an incurable, severe skin disease called "Harlequin-type ichthyosis," which will leave your child severely deformed (some pictures of these babies have been misused on "shock sites" as "alien babies"), not to mention having skin as hard as armor. Mentally, the child will have normal intelligence capabilities, but will require lifelong, vigorous skin treatments that will never cure it and will still leave the child as severely deformed as he was born. If you were the woman, would you be able to keep the child?

4) The fetus has been determined to have anencephaly, meaning that it has brain defects so severe that, if it even survives to birth, it will die within a matter of hours or days. Additionally, since it has been determined to have anenchephaly, it has nothing but a brain stem, meaning that, not only is the child blind, deaf, and incapable of pain, but that it will never ever achieve consciousness. If you were the woman, would you still try to deliver to term a child that has zero chance of survival, not to mention one that would look like a highly deformed "troll-like" creature?

Just curious. There's obviously no right or wrong answers, but some people in life are going to be faced with rather tough decisions like this. I'd be curious how people here would in these rare, but possible situations.

Melon

Old 06-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:50 AM
Every one of these situations seem like valid cases for abortion and I would tilt towards it, if it was my genetic material involved (except in the rape case) then I would support the womans decision whichever way it may go, although in the case of anencephaly (while checking spelling just a FU to google images new automated system) I think I would be very supportive of taking medical advice on the matter which would be abortion.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:50 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:50 AM
It's her right to choose no matter what.

However for #2 the test commonly done (AFP) alpha - fetoprotein has a high false positive rate. A friend of mine was encouraged to abort after hers which determined the baby to have severe abnormalities.

Her daughter is completely normal.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:53 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 05:50 PM

Curiosity...yes Melon......curiosity.......that's what makes life interesting. Always keep them guessing.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't want this to turn into third person.

I want you to pretend to be this woman. I don't care about the laws. I understand the macro-level "pro-life"/"pro-choice" debate.

I want you to put yourself in this hypothetical woman's shoes, and make a "Yes" or "No" decision. That's my intent. When a few people have answered, I'll post my answers.

And, yes, #2 is an interesting question. There are false positives, so it adds another dimension: are you willing to trust the test or are you willing to buck it?

"Yes" or "No." That's what I'm interested in here.

Melon
Old 06-02-2006, 11:03 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 AM
I know several people that would only terminate example one.

2,3 and 4 would be God's will.

and I respect their "right to choose".

For myself, not being married, it is too hypothetical for me to answer.

However, again I respect each person's "right to choose".
Old 06-02-2006, 11:06 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I don't want this to turn into third person.

Melon
sorry,

i'll get back after my gf leaves
Old 06-02-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I would probably have an abortion in all 4 cases. #2 is the only one on the list that I may vacillate on.

Rape? No question.

Ichthyosis gives you a prognosis of survival into adolescence, if you're "lucky" and all of those years will be lived out in agony.

Anencephaly is a 100% sure abortion to me. No questions at all, really. Although I have a good friend whose parents are very religious (incidentally they are both MDs) and she had a brother who was born anencephalitic. They knew in advance but did not want the abortion. He died 32 hours later. The other children said later that they wish they hadn't seen him and had to go through that death. So I think in this instance you have to consider the broader family.

When it comes to any type of genetic abnormality, particularly where the child has a very limited lifespan, I would tend to consider the family as a unit. I grew up with a guy who had a severely mentally challenged sister. His parents lives revolved around hre 24/7. When he turned 18, he couldn't wait to get out of the house. Went to college as far away as he could afford it and stayed there. I couldn't really blame him.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:33 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:50 PM
Re: Hypothetical Abortion Situations...

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
There's obviously no right or wrong answers,
Oh dear.
Old 06-03-2006, 07:38 AM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Hypothetical Abortion Situations...

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
Oh dear.
Heh...you know what I mean!

Melon
Old 06-04-2006, 09:46 AM   #11
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:50 AM
Re: Hypothetical Abortion Situations...

Quote:
1) A woman and her husband are trying to get pregnant, and there have been difficulties that have lasted years. In an unfortunate circumstance, the woman is raped and is then later found to be pregnant by the rapist. If you were the woman, would you be able to keep the child?
I am honestly not sure. I hate to be one of these people, but until I had my own children I thought I was one who could decide for abortion, but I am honestly not sure now. I think I would not abort. I'd probably keep the baby and seek many ways to adjust and cope with the emotional aspect.

Quote:
2) A pregnant woman, after getting a test done, discovers that the fetus has tested positive for a chromosomal abnormality that will leave him severely mentally impaired, such that he will be incapable of taking care of himself for the rest of his life. If you were the woman, would you be able to keep the child?
Again, I think abortion at this stage is out of the question, though perfectly legal. These tests are done at 19-21 weeks. I had ultrasounds every few weeks for both my pregnancies and could not abort such a developed baby. Life is luck. This baby would still be loved.

Quote:
3) The fetus has tested positive for an incurable, severe skin disease called "Harlequin-type ichthyosis," which will leave your child severely deformed (some pictures of these babies have been misused on "shock sites" as "alien babies"), not to mention having skin as hard as armor. Mentally, the child will have normal intelligence capabilities, but will require lifelong, vigorous skin treatments that will never cure it and will still leave the child as severely deformed as he was born. If you were the woman, would you be able to keep the child?
Abortion due to superficial deformity. Could not do it. I can be naively and dumbly hopeful at times. This would be one.

Quote:
4) The fetus has been determined to have anencephaly, meaning that it has brain defects so severe that, if it even survives to birth, it will die within a matter of hours or days. Additionally, since it has been determined to have anenchephaly, it has nothing but a brain stem, meaning that, not only is the child blind, deaf, and incapable of pain, but that it will never ever achieve consciousness. If you were the woman, would you still try to deliver to term a child that has zero chance of survival, not to mention one that would look like a highly deformed "troll-like" creature?
There is no reason to abort this child, in my view. The child will die at nature's hand. Cry, mourn, bury the child, name him/her, despair what never was and what could have been.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I would have an abortion in all 4 cases.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:46 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Honestly I don't think we could ever know how we would decide. It's easy to put ourselves in a hypothetical situation from the comfort of our computers, but until something like one of the scenarios listed actually happens to one of us (heaven forbid), then we'll never actually know. To talk about what you would do if you were raped could be very different from what would happen if you really were raped.

Not the answer you want to hear but it's what I feel. I just can't put myself in those hypothetical situations because I know that if I were seriously in one of those positions I'd probably have a range of different emotions like never before.

Beyond that, I support the right to choose.
Old 06-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If I were a girl/women

A) Abortion

B) Abortion

C) Abortion

D) Abortion

but for B),C),D) - the report must be 100% accurate -

not so difficult
Old 06-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
I know several people that would only terminate example one.

2,3 and 4 would be God's will.
By the God's will logic, why wouldn't #1 be God's will as well? That's one thing I've never understood about Christianity...some things are designated as God's will while others are the result of man's free will, as though God is not also in control of man's free will, or as though people can decide what is God's will and what is not. But I agree with you that this is how some people see it, and I'm not trying to divert the thread.