Hunting? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2001, 06:45 PM   #31
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:43 AM
rougerum,
Thanks for your insight, as someone who lives in an area most affected by deer over-pouplation. I suppose I can understand it in that sense. But I still don't understand people who want to hunt as a sport (and I'm a big gun rights' advocate).

Old 10-30-2001, 06:54 PM   #32
Banned

Local Time: 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
You forgive your ancestors? I guess it is no longer PC to be a caveman.

Humans are part of the food chain, we are part of this planet, we didn't invade the natural world.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 10-30-2001).]
Humans are freaks of nature.

Old 10-30-2001, 06:57 PM   #33
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama:

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 10-30-2001).]
Good Lord, Bama! The photos depict hamburgers as being human like! Does this mean MacDonalds patrons are cannibals?! Scary! I never even knew...
Old 10-30-2001, 07:53 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi:
Melon, I have read a lot of your posts over the last couple of months and I can now honestly say: you seem to know everything! i'm not kidding, from the economy to the availability of exotic meats. it's incredible.
As much as I quite often bitch about Michigan on this forum, it is, quite honestly, a mesh of everything that America is within a surprisingly small amount of space. It's modern (Detroit), yet it is rustic (Upper Peninsula). It goes into a deep freeze in winter and burns you in the summer. I grew up in Southeast Michigan, where there is a sizeable amount of Southerners actually--but is still predominantly Catholic in nature. We have both a great infrastructure, while also being great examples of government neglect. Heck, even my house is a mesh of everything. Lake Erie nearby, a city one can see on the horizon, an interstate within view, railroads surrounding you, but, yet, still rural, as I'm surrounded by farm fields.

So, honestly, if it is true that people are a product of their environment, then it's no wonder that I have a fairly diverse base of knowledge from both my educational background, but also from life experience in itself. As much as I've bitched about Michigan, I've learned quite a bit from it.

Melon

------------------
"He had lived through an age when men and women with energy and ruthlessness but without much ability or persistence excelled. And even though most of them had gone under, their ignorance had confused Roy, making him wonder whether the things he had striven to learn, and thought of as 'culture,' were irrelevant. Everything was supposed to be the same: commercials, Beethoven's late quartets, pop records, shopfronts, Freud, multi-coloured hair. Greatness, comparison, value, depth: gone, gone, gone. Anything could give some pleasure; he saw that. But not everything provided the sustenance of a deeper understanding." - Hanif Kureishi, Love in a Blue Time
Old 10-30-2001, 09:35 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 03:43 AM
Don't trust MissMacPh; she is the Hamburglar in disguise.

Old 10-30-2001, 09:43 PM   #36
Banned

Oh God, No! They even found me HERE! Dammit!
* Pulls cape over herself and runs*

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert
Old 10-30-2001, 10:40 PM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

MissMacPh:

Guess what I had for dinner last night?

A #14 Extra Value Meal at McDOnald's! That's a DOUBLE cheeseburger, medium fries, and medium Coke. Plus, my wife didn't want all of her fries, so I ate some of hers too. The fries were just right: VERY hot and just the right amount of salt. Yummy.

~U2Alabama

Old 10-31-2001, 01:38 AM   #38
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:43 AM
I love fishing. Early this month I spent 4 days backpacking in the High Sierras. Ate Trout for dinner. Loved the whole experience. I went with a friend who is heavy into fly fishing. I was using lures and a bubble fly setup, which is okay, but I've got to learn to fly fish (there's a lot to it!).

Point is, I can't say I'm totally against killing animals, because I do it myself.

Hunting for sport? I don't have particularly strong feelings about it either way. Do that many people really kill deer and such just for sport, and let the meat go to waste?

Old 10-31-2001, 03:15 AM   #39
Bad Daddy Johnny

You forgive your ancestors? I guess it is no longer PC to be a caveman.

Humans are part of the food chain, we are part of this planet, we didn't invade the natural world.

[This message has been edited by Johnny Swallow (edited 10-30-2001).]
Old 10-31-2001, 03:52 AM   #40
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Miss MacPhisto:
McDonalds often shows pretty pictures of happy smiling hamburgers growing like plants in pretty fields, on stalks of grass and what not. Good God.

[This message has been edited by U2Bama (edited 10-30-2001).]
Old 10-31-2001, 03:53 AM   #41
War Child

1. It's amusing to see 80's and melon's surprising stances on this issue. Looks like they got their left and right mixed up. Actually, it's just nice to see that they don't feel stuck to the party-line. Always a good thing.

2. As others have pointed out, hunting is necessary to control the population of deer and other animals, so I'm glad there are people who do it. I don't think I could. If you think it's cruel to shoot them, take a look at a deer when it's starving to death in the middle of winter because of over-population.

3. Matthew Page grew up in rural Maine? Where? I lived in Skowhegan when I was a kid and I have relatives in Aroostook County. I used to visit my great-grandfather at his house on the Allagash, but haven't been back there in 10 years.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:35 AM   #42
Banned

Well, many of them decapitate it and hang the bloody head on their walls, take photos of themselves with the corpse, skin in and use the skin to"decorate" their gorey homes, etc. Its just pointless and sickening to kill for the sheer fun of it.
Their was this guy on some court room show recently, who murdered this older couples beloved golden retrievers. He said he killed them because he saw them going after ducks and he was "Concerned about the wildlife". And yet, he blew it when he told the judge he had a "High powered rifle" that he used to go huntin with the judge said something like "You're so concerned about the wildlife yet you go out and kill them yourself???" He got all wide eyed and stammered and then said he only did it to feed his family, then tried to drag his children into the whole thing and hide behind them as a defense. This isnt 1492 though, and the judge didnt buy it.
Old 10-31-2001, 11:41 AM   #43
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Bama:
MissMacPh:

Guess what I had for dinner last night?

A #14 Extra Value Meal at McDOnald's! That's a DOUBLE cheeseburger, medium fries, and medium Coke. Plus, my wife didn't want all of her fries, so I ate some of hers too. The fries were just right: VERY hot and just the right amount of salt. Yummy.

~U2Alabama
*Gets out her whip and thrashes Bama for eating the cheeseburger*
Hamburglar will not be pleased. You should have given it to her - er... him,that is....
Oh, and technically, French fries ARE vegetables. So is ketchup and mustard.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

[This message has been edited by Miss MacPhisto (edited 10-31-2001).]
Old 10-31-2001, 04:57 PM   #44
Banned

Local Time: 09:43 AM
80s, It is honestly not your place to even understand hunting, I don't understand the appeal of soccer at all but that doesn't make playing it wrong and since people have a right to carry a gun and hunt then let them do it as to they break no laws.

~rougerum
Old 10-31-2001, 05:24 PM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by rougerum:
80s, It is honestly not your place to even understand hunting, I don't understand the appeal of soccer at all but that doesn't make playing it wrong and since people have a right to carry a gun and hunt then let them do it as to they break no laws.
~rougerum
That's a crummy answer. I can't stop anyone from hunting, so why did you say "let them do it"? I'm not trying to stop them, nor am I condemning hunters. All I wanted to know was why people enjoy hunting, and if it is right to hunt when it's not necessary for food? Do people enjoying hunting because they like to get out with their buds into the woods? If so, why not just go camping? Are there people who enjoy "the kill"?