Hundreds of thousands protest Iraq war - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2005, 06:19 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:14 AM
There is a coalition though. If the people of the United States should decide that it is time to leave, then the coalition should fill in until the objective is achieved.

Old 09-26-2005, 08:29 AM   #17
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
There is a coalition though. If the people of the United States should decide that it is time to leave, then the coalition should fill in until the objective is achieved.
Can't say I agree with this, Dread. I'm neither politician nor historian nor war theorist, but I was opposed to the war from the outset and I sincerely doubt that the coalition would "fill in" if we decided to skip town; moreover, I'm not sure they have any real obligation to do so.

That would in fact be about the worst solution I could think of: walk away from the mess that our government decided to start and leave a coalition of troops of a few other nations to try to stanch the bleeding. It wouldn't solve the problem of young men and women dying. They'd be British or Polish or Latvian ones instead, that's all. A solution that involves passing the buck is no solution at all.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:22 AM   #18
New Yorker

Quote:
I happen to be all about letting them do what they have to do. Any rational person viewing the signs I saw today is more likely to be pushed back to center and be more supportive of the troops.

I think the terrorists will have succeeded when the quality of the protester has improved.....
I think I can find this exact quote from you on the demonstration before the war.

I can't think of many of the signs I don't agree with. I've read many of the interviews with normal US citizens and some nut cases. Most were quite eloguent, middle of the road types. I especially liked the ones "war criminal". If my hubby hadn't made me decide between a hotel in DC for one in Pittsburgh for a particular concert, I'd have loved to be there.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:41 PM   #19
Blue Crack Supplier

i was there. it was very mainstream. the most offensive signs were from the anti-demonstration demonstraters.

i'd argue that the insurgents don't like this; they need the US in Iraq -- it's the best way to recruit more suicide bombers.

i don't think we can pull out right away, but what we're doing clearly isn't working.
Old 09-26-2005, 06:53 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by pax

Can't say I agree with this, Dread. I'm neither politician nor historian nor war theorist, but I was opposed to the war from the outset and I sincerely doubt that the coalition would "fill in" if we decided to skip town; moreover, I'm not sure they have any real obligation to do so.

That would in fact be about the worst solution I could think of: walk away from the mess that our government decided to start and leave a coalition of troops of a few other nations to try to stanch the bleeding. It wouldn't solve the problem of young men and women dying. They'd be British or Polish or Latvian ones instead, that's all. A solution that involves passing the buck is no solution at all.
See my PM.....
Old 09-26-2005, 06:54 PM   #21
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
i was there. it was very mainstream. the most offensive signs were from the anti-demonstration demonstraters.
I really do not want this to deteriorate into postings of signs....which I am ready to do....

There were offensive signs on both sides....

Why does it have to deteriorate into whose signs were more offensive?

Aren't we capable of more in here?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:55 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:14 AM
Quote:
is there a punch line

to this joke?
Old 09-26-2005, 11:40 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by STING2
This is exactly what Al Zarqawi and the terrorist in Iraq want to see.
are you bullshiting me?

seriously, you're real name is brett isn't it.

it absolutely infuriates me to read such narrowminded, black and white comments like this.

this is exactly why my stomach can't stand posting here. some of you simply haven't the slightest clue.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:56 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:14 PM
I think if the US announced it was pulling out of Iraq you'd hear a collective "YES!!!" from the other Coalition members, then a race to see who could actually get out first. The British and Australians will probably come to blows over runway use or something, they are that determined to get the fuck out of there. I guarantee that at the first moment the Coalition countries can leave with their dignity in place, they'll be running. It seems that the British and Australians are egging each other on to do so right now, but neither have the balls to make the first move against the US, and neither want to be seen as the first of the original 3 to back out.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:07 AM   #25
The Fly

Local Time: 12:14 PM
Ew...think of all that hippie smell.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:39 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoomerang96

are you bullshiting me?

seriously, you're real name is brett isn't it.

it absolutely infuriates me to read such narrowminded, black and white comments like this.

this is exactly why my stomach can't stand posting here. some of you simply haven't the slightest clue.
Is this generally what you say to most people you disagree with?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:43 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by STING2

Is this generally what you say to most people you disagree with?
well considering i spend all my time speaking with people who rationalize their standpoints with various information outlets, as opposed to someone who clearly is none other than ari fleischer himself, no, this is not how i speak to others.

it is incomprehensible to read what you have to say over and over again, year after year...i like to think that i fail to make sense when i try my hardest, but your incessant posting of the same viewpoint over and over again without any moderation or reconsideration of the very facts that contradict nearly everything that you say is so baffling it makes me nearly vomit.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:48 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:14 PM
Quote:
well considering i spend all my time speaking with people who rationalize their standpoints with various information outlets, as opposed to someone who clearly is none other than ari fleischer himself, no, this is not how i speak to others.

it is incomprehensible to read what you have to say over and over again, year after year...i like to think that i fail to make sense when i try my hardest, but your incessant posting of the same viewpoint over and over again without any moderation or reconsideration of the very facts that contradict nearly everything that you say is so baffling it makes me nearly vomit.

Why do you hate America.

You must be a damn Communist or something.

Regards,

Brett
Old 09-27-2005, 12:53 AM   #29
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Why do you hate America.

You must be a damn Communist or something.

Regards,

Brett
yeah, a communist. i'm so commy, i'm a capitalist pig who en7oys watching tv with a bigscreen, after driving home from my 200,000 k a year 7ob in my imported mclaren...

not that that's true or anything, but if i had the chance i'd be all over that!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:13 AM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:

Then why do you even bother to read what I have to say?

I'd love to here all these "facts" that supposedly contradict everything I have to say.