Hundreds of Middle Easterns Jailed for trying to comply - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2002, 10:21 AM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:58 AM
Government has always been reactive, but the wave of illegal immigration was favorable to business prior to 9/11. That way they could circumvent minimum wage and other labor laws with their cheap labor.

You think it didn't/doesn't happen?

Melon

Old 12-20-2002, 11:01 AM   #17
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:58 PM
I don't understand how so many of you think this to be a positive step. There are so many things wrong with this. For one they called on only males who were born in these 20 or so countries. Because everyone knows women aren't a threat to anyone. They baited them. And also do you honestly believe that every single one of these people detained were breaking the law. Do you honestly think that this many people would voluntarily walk in to INS knowing they were here illegally?

I agree that immigration laws should be enforced. But is this the way I want my country to go about? Absolutely not.

Old 12-20-2002, 11:11 AM   #18
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Two days late is not a valid reason to spend a little time checking him out? Just curious on this. You seem to indicate that this person is still being held, Is that the case? Or was he/she detained and released after an investigation?
Well the point is he didnt even have to go register since he's been a Canadian citizen since he was 4. He was just doing what he thought was right even though my boss told him he didnt have to go. This was yesterday and he is still being detained.
Old 12-20-2002, 11:11 AM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Reread what I initially said. If the INS excuse was *sincere,* then it was warranted. If not, then it is a bad case of racism. Quite honestly, though, immigrants from the Middle East and other "terrorist" countries are getting deported once their visas run out. This happened to someone I knew who was here on a student visa, and once it ran out (she had graduated already, BTW), she got deported back to Malaysia.

Partially, however, I want to ask how else are we supposed to enforce our immigration laws? We shouldn't be a welfare state for non-citizens.

Melon
Old 12-20-2002, 11:12 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy
This was yesterday and he is still being detained.
Well, this is what worries me. I'm starting to think it might be a case of racism after all.

Melon
Old 12-20-2002, 11:55 AM   #21
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Reread what I initially said. If the INS excuse was *sincere,* then it was warranted
Oh I realize what you were saying. And let's say it is "sincere", we'll give them the benefit of doubt. Do you still think this is how to go about it. If we're going to really enforce our laws, let's do it right and execute a plan that spans across the board and doesn't target a small minority of illegl immigrants.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:06 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Any effort to enforce immigration laws are typically criticized as racist.
Old 12-20-2002, 12:16 PM   #23
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
True.

And no matter what is being done, someone will have a problem with it. Do we keep things as they are, where the INS renews student visas for some of the 9/11 hijackers after the fact...or do we take action to at least try and take control of who comes and goes into to this country?

I don't completly agree with the fact that this is only being done to Middle-Eastern males but something has to be done.
Old 12-20-2002, 02:34 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:58 PM
Normal

I agree w BAW-
must we always go to the race card?
Please.

Who the f*ck knows really whats going on..
perhaps a few of these ppl in the round up may know somebody's sister's cousin's boyfriend that has a cache of dirty nukes next to a bag of used dildos in his garage

Seriously.
We need to always stop trying to b arm chair quaterbacks 2nd guessing ppl who are trying to keep our country and world safe.

Thank u
Diamond
Old 12-20-2002, 03:24 PM   #25
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Seriously. We need to always stop trying to b arm chair quaterbacks 2nd guessing ppl who are trying to keep our country and world safe.
Yes you're right we should just all sit back in our chairs enjoy the view and watch as our country practices injustice and gets comfortable with it. Because once they know they can get away with this without anyone saying or doing anything the next step will be coming into OUR living rooms. But this is OK because we're not suppose to 2nd guess these actions.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:23 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

You have your terms mixed. What is happening now is a REACTIVE approach (or answer) to the events of Sep. 11th. Had INS been screening like this all along, it would have been a PRO-ACTIVE approach and it *might* have altered the events of Sep. 11th. A reactive approach is waiting until something happens and then doing something (reacting) to it - and this is what is a happening now.

I believe it is pro-active in the sense that,,,,it may stop something else from happening. Semantics at this point.

The sad part is...I seriously doubt any terrorist went and registered.
Old 12-20-2002, 05:10 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
i agree w the attorney.
i also stick by the idea of earlier statement re- dildos and dirty nukes in the garage of somebody's cousin.. (statement/idea)....

u
just
never
know..who might know or say something
or volunteer information to stay in the country....

welcome to- our brave new world..
welcome to the 21st century.

thank u-

DB9
Old 12-20-2002, 05:34 PM   #28
The Fly

Quote:

I believe it is pro-active in the sense that,,,,it may stop something else from happening. Semantics at this point.

That is the material point.

So what exactly are you expecting this to achieve?

And as to the question about why race has to come into it - I'm still waiting for the INS to check the immigration status of people from China, or Israel (now there's a can of worms they don't want to open) or the Caribbean.

Does anyone seriously believe that this is not targeted at a specific group, based on common racial and cultural perceptions of that group?

I'm going to take a page from Bono's book (I thought he did a fabulous job of appealing to the basic selfishness of human beings on Oprah) and say: even if you don't give a shit about Middle East nationals being jailed or deported or exploited or treated unfairly - and that is your prerogative - think for a moment about what actions like this might bode for your own civil liberties in the not-too-distant future.

These people did not all just show up yesterday, prompting the INs to go 'Hey, hey, where are you going?' and nab them as they were coming through Customs at the airport. The only reason that action is being taken against them (and note, despite all claims about this not being targeted victimization, it is, to date, ONLY against them) is that it now seems expedient to the American government to do so. If we sit back and say 'Well, I suppose it's for the best . . . these foreigners had it coming to them,' what's to prevent the ball to keep right on a-rollin', until whatever seems expedient is done, regardless of who or how many it affects?

I don't know if that idea makes you feel safer. I know it makes me feel, to use the language of bad spy movies, rather . . . expendable.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:12 PM   #29
Sizzlin' Sicilian
Forum Administrator

Quote:
This is what had me and my boss going 'wtf?' like a terrorist is really going to go down to the INS and register. come on.
Old 12-20-2002, 06:21 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Normal

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicy

This is what had me and my boss going 'wtf?' like a terrorist is really going to go down to the INS and register. come on.
but somebody could squeal on those that dont..thats the point