Human Shield FINED $10, 000

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Treason?

Human shields went to Iraq to attempt to protect the Iraqi people. Some went in the belief they could stop the war, some went in the belief they could protect sites like hospitals and schools being bombed and some merely wanted to what little they could to support innocent Iraqi people whose lives were devastated by war.

They didn't go to support Saddam, they didn't go to secretly help his regime against that of the US. If they had then maybe you could accuse them of treason, but the fact is they didn't go to aid Saddam, they went to help innocent people who were suffering horribly.

FizzingWhizzbees said:

They didn't go to support Saddam, they didn't go to secretly help his regime against that of the US. If they had then maybe you could accuse them of treason, but the fact is they didn't go to aid Saddam, they went to help innocent people who were suffering horribly.

Which is why I said on one level I respect them.

They still left our country and aided another that we were going to war with. If you are willing to act in this manner ie Civil Disobedience, or whatever you wish to call it, you should also be willing to pay the price for your actions.

I do think it is stupid to fine her $$$$$. As I said in my first post. A little jail time, or a guilty by a court with no jail time would be fine with me. Just some accountability.

Last edited:
I still don't understand how you believe human shields "aided" Saddam. They went there to try to help the ordinary people of Iraq, most of whom did not support Saddam. They didn't go to offer financial support to Saddam or to help him defend his regime against the US attack.

If they had gone there with the explicit intention of propping up Saddam's regime I could understand why you would describe their actions as treason, but given that they went to help ordinary Iraqis I don't see how the allegation of treason has any credibility.

Just my opinion. :)

*Fizz.

Hypothetically, what if someones actions boosted the moral of the Iraqi military? Or negated the affect of the "surrender now" leaflets dropped over Baghdad?

Supposely one of the reasons for this war was to bring freedom to the Iraqi people. So a human shield stands up to protect the hospitals, schools, etc. How is this treason? In fact they're protecting their freedom as well. For freedom doesn't mean crap when you're dead or don't have schools and hospitals. They aren't aiding Saddam, they aren't standing between soldiers of opposing teams. In my opinion this is a ridiculous notion.

As far as boosting the moral of the opposing soldiers. Some may argue that the failing arrogance of Bush thinking this would be a quick and easy war may give a boost to the moral of Iraqi soldiers. Should he be put up for treason?

Like I said before if this administration had anything even close to bringing treason charges up on these people they'd already be in prison.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom