*hugs lou dobbs* - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-24-2006, 10:57 AM   #1
Breakdancing Soul Pilgrim

Local Time: 04:48 PM
*hugs lou dobbs*

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/05/23/dobbs.may24/index.html

Old 05-24-2006, 12:20 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:48 PM
When people complain about their wages, they should consider that when you add workers to the market (especially those willing to work for less money), the average wage will go down.

Old 05-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Americans don't like being told to go to hell.
Old 05-24-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
When people complain about their wages, they should consider that when you add workers to the market (especially those willing to work for less money), the average wage will go down.
Adding to the mix, when you have tax credits that encourage outsourcing, but nothing of the sort to encourage wage increases, the average wage will go down.

The federal government may not control the economy, but they have proven time and time again that they can add incentives to encourage business practices that they prefer. Yet, it always seems that the U.S. government is always anti-labor when it comes to tax laws and credits.

Melon
Old 05-24-2006, 07:14 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Send jobs overseas or allow cheaper labor to enter the country - either way it is bad news for the existing wage base.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:20 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Send jobs overseas or allow cheaper labor to enter the country - either way it is bad news for the existing wage base.
I agree. This is why I tend to think all of our politicians scrambling to legalize illegal immigrants in our nation have little regard for the fact that nearly 3/4 of our nation is uneducated and many of the jobs that Americans supposedly "won't do" are jobs whose wages have been dramatically eroded over the last 25 years or so by the presence of illegal immigrants willing to do it for peanuts.

No, Americans won't work for peanuts, but they will work most jobs at workable wages. And if the illegals weren't there, business would be forced to increase their wages to find an American willing to do it. That is, after all, the other side of capitalism that few want to talk about.

Melon
Old 05-24-2006, 07:41 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
No, Americans won't work for peanuts, but they will work most jobs at workable wages. And if the illegals weren't there, business would be forced to increase their wages to find an American willing to do it. That is, after all, the other side of capitalism that few want to talk about.
Bingo!

And it would lead to an even stronger economy.

It is estimated that at least $20 billion is sent to Mexico alone by illegal immigrants. That is a larger source of income than Mexico's oil industry.
Old 05-24-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 02:48 PM
It's amazing to me how blind our elected politicians have been with this issue over the past 15 years.

The total disregard to overpopulation, environmental degradation and the destruction of the American working class wage scale due to uncontrolled mass immigration is breathtaking in its hubris.

Allowing a foreign leader to dictate our immigration policy, which is the most lenient on Earth, is a big mistake. If something serious isn't done about it this time, I'm afraid some severe consequences will befall all of us down the road.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by 4U2Play
It's amazing to me how blind our elected politicians have been with this issue over the past 15 years.

The total disregard to overpopulation, environmental degradation and the destruction of the American working class wage scale due to uncontrolled mass immigration is breathtaking in its hubris.
Living the lavish lifestyle that these politicians live means that they never have to worry about having to relate to the people they theoretically "serve." As such, they have all the time in the world to delay and/or do nothing.

Of course, this goes beyond the issue of immigration.

Melon
Old 05-24-2006, 08:26 PM   #10
Refugee

Yup.

Besides, most of these politicians employ "cheap" (probably illegal, in many cases) housekeepers and gardeners to take care of their mansions, don't they.

This is the type of decision-making that is really pissing a lot of people off:

Senate bill protects employers of illegal aliens from penalties

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20...2916-4917r.htm
Old 05-24-2006, 08:38 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Allowing a foreign leader to dictate our immigration policy, which is the most lenient on Earth, is a big mistake. If something serious isn't done about it this time, I'm afraid some severe consequences will befall all of us down the road.

since you're not accepting PM's, i'll just come out and say that i'm really enjoying your contributions to FYM -- you're a unique, thoughtful voice with an original perspective on many issues.

i have nothing to add to this thread, just wanted to give you snaps.
Old 05-24-2006, 09:05 PM   #12
Refugee

Holy shit, a compliment!

Or are you being facetious? (no, I'm not paranoid... are you trying to trick me???)

I'm extremely opinionated and all over the map politically, which usually pisses everyone off, so I'm surprised by your comments, thank you.

Most everything I have read of yours lately is interesting, too, no joke. I disagree with a lot of your takes, but your posts are always well-written and intelligently thought-out.

I just discovered this forum last week, and I find it truly mind-expanding and enjoyable. It has forced me to reconsider a couple of my positions, which is always a good thing. Who knew U2 had so many smart, cool fans!

Irvine511, I'm surprised you don't have an opinion on this thread, please provide one if you get the chance.

Cheers,
Nick
Old 05-24-2006, 09:24 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Holy shit, a compliment!

Or are you being facetious? (no, I'm not paranoid... are you trying to trick me???)
Haha...keeping the discourse civilized and reasonably rational (as you've done so far) will keep FYM, contrary to popular lore, in a relatively happy coexistence between liberals, conservatives, and everyone in between.

Melon
Old 05-24-2006, 10:30 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Yup.

Besides, most of these politicians employ "cheap" (probably illegal, in many cases) housekeepers and gardeners to take care of their mansions, don't they.
I think Nannygate put most politicians on notice that hiring an illegal (an failing to pay social security taxes) is a bar to political career growth.

No that they give a damn how we live anyways.
Old 05-25-2006, 10:28 AM   #15
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Holy shit, a compliment!

I'm extremely opinionated and all over the map politically, which usually pisses everyone off, so I'm surprised by your comments, thank you.

no, no -- i'm being serious. i like the fact that you're unpredictable, since so many of us have been here so long you can almost predict what any given regular poster is going to write before it is even written, so it's nice to have a thoughtful, unpredictable breath of fresh air.

i also think it's important to occasionally toss a bone, so to speak, to some of the regular posters (i usually do this via PM) since it can get heated in here, sort of a reminder that none of this is to be taken personally (and sometimes the reminder is more for myself than anyone else).

as for the article ... i've never lived in a border state (though i live in a neighborhood with a huge Spanish-speaking population) so i'm not terribly familiar with these immigration issues. i have some broad opinions on the issue -- sending people back would be disasterous, immigrants contribute in immeasurable ways, i think America is at it's core a nation for the world so making English the national language is completely racist, and we all know my feelings on Iraq -- but i don't feel qualified to really comment in-depth on this.

and, truth be told, it's simply not as relevant to me as many other issues, and i think all of this stinks of politics -- it seems like a massive distraction on the part of the Bush administration to try and win back some of the conservatives who've left him (by doing something paranoid like calling in the National Guard) and by winning back some of the independents (offering Amnesty), but it looks like it's backfiring on him.

it could also be a ploy by Congressional Republicans seeking a red meat nativist issue that they can use to give themselves some badly needed differentiation from this hapless president who's more of a liability than an asset.