*hugs lou dobbs*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:
OK, for all the naysayers. When would be the appropriate time to address the immigration issue?

it's less that there's a single appropriate time and more that discussing it at this particular time turns it into an election year issue, the kind that always, always says more about the state of each of the parties and their current electoral challenges than it does about the nation's needs.

i actually think this is an issue that Bush has a unique set of ... wait for it ... i'm going to say something nice ... wait for it ... strengths unique to him and fairly unique to his party. he could have pulled it out at any time, and for all the talk about his "political capital" after that thunderous relection where he squeaked out about a million more votes than Kerry giving him a resounding 51% majority (!!!! ... obligatory exclamation points needed when trying to obfuscate numbers and use them to construe a vision of events vastly different than reality), why didn't he tackle this issue early in 2005?

Given our nearly perpetual election cycle, it seems that any issue would be ripe for such criticism.

As I recall, Bush has been pushing the elements of the Senate bill for quite some time. It seems that Congress has reduced their "production goals" to one bill a quarter, if that.

melon said:

The "Bear Patrol" episode of "The Simpsons" was great;

do nothing to stop American corporations from closing shop and going abroad for their cheap labor. Who needs to hire illegals when you can legally set up shop at the source?

SEOUL, South Korea - Homer Simpson, his dysfunctional family and his friends from the middle-of-the-road American town of Springfield were sent to South Korea long before exporting jobs overseas became a hot-button political issue in the United States.

A stone’s throw away from a highway that tears through Seoul and upstairs from a convenience store called “Buy the Way,” Homer, Marge, and the rest of “The Simpsons” have been brought to life for about 15 years at South Korea’s AKOM Production Co.

...industry estimates show that South Korean animators are paid about one-third of what their U.S. counterparts make.

"D'oh!!"

nbcrusader said:
Given our nearly perpetual election cycle, it seems that any issue would be ripe for such criticism.

As I recall, Bush has been pushing the elements of the Senate bill for quite some time. It seems that Congress has reduced their "production goals" to one bill a quarter, if that.

which is why i think it's a Congressional GOP ploy more than anything else -- we're also going to see a Congress increasingly resentful at the administration that's been treating them as little more than a Greek chorus for the past 6 years.

INDY500 said:
A stone’s throw away from a highway that tears through Seoul and upstairs from a convenience store called “Buy the Way,” Homer, Marge, and the rest of “The Simpsons” have been brought to life for about 15 years at South Korea’s AKOM Production Co.

...industry estimates show that South Korean animators are paid about one-third of what their U.S. counterparts make.

"D'oh!!"

Unfortunately, nearly all cell animation these days is done in South Korea. Hell, watch the credits of a Japanese anime series, and you'll start seeing a chunk of Korean names towards the end of the list.

But then, cell animation is gradually being rendered obsolete anyway by computers (with a lot of the animation that looks like cell animation being done by computers); and, so far, computer animation requires more creativity and brain power than what is economical for outsourcing.

Nonetheless, it still doesn't change the fact that the "Bear Patrol" episode was very prophetic.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom