HUGE Angels Action Alert! The Legacy of the IMF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sherry Darling

New Yorker
Calling ALL Angels--and all new angels too! :angel:

The IMF turns 60 on April 21, but I'm sure not celebrating. :rant: Check it out below to order "unhappybirthday cards" that you can sign, have signing parties for, get lots and lots of them signed. :yes: Then mail 'em BACK to Jubilee, cause on April 21, I'm headed down to the IMF/World Bank to serve cake and deliver all your cards to call attention to the destructive legacy of these organizations! All angels in the area or angels willing to travel welcome at the un-party! :yes:

(NB--the action alert says to print the cards, but we have a lot of them, so just email me cduckwo1@gmu.edu, PM me or email Neil at Jubilee (neil@jubileeusa.org) and we'll get you some.)

Here's Jubilee's Action Alert. http://jubileeusa.org

Sign An Unhappy Birthday Card to the IMF/World Bank:
It?s No Time for A Party! It?s Time to Drop the Debt

2004 is the 60th Birthday of the IMF/World Bank. We at Jubilee believe that it's no time for a party to celebrate the IMF/World Bank. The institutions have left many harmful legacies over the past 60 years, but perhaps none so debilitating from the perspective of human development and justice as the DEBT. Today Africa pays $15 billion annually to the IMF, World Bank, and rich countries -- more than it gets in aid or new loans.

You can:

Print some unhappy birthday cards to get signed in your community, church, or campus. If you are willing to collect signatures and then return them to us, Click here and then print the page. Make photocopies. Use colored paper. Print one-sided and fold in quarters, or print both sides and cut. Then be sure to mail them to us by April 14th so that we can release them at our April 21st Unhappy Birthday Party...

Sign an unhappy birthday card right now on our website! Click this link to sign now. We?ll print our your name, city, state, and country on a birthday card and deliver it to the World Bank on April 21st.
Please note that we are no longer accepting orders for hard copies of the unhappy birthday cards. We had an incredible response -- we mailed out over 20,000 cards, but we are directing folks to sign cards electronically at this time. Thanks for all your support, and for your understanding.

Whether you received some of the cards from us, or made them yourself, be sure to mail them to us by April 14th at this address:

Jubilee USA Network
222 East Capitol St., NE
Washington DC 20003

Sherry, thank you so much for posting this! I just finished sending my unhappy birthday card. What a beautiful way, to start your day!

yep thanks.. sherry

my unhappy birthday card is on it's way.. I know our canadian politicians are going so I'm sending them there very own special note as well

to play devil's advocate here for a bit

Sherry Darling said:
2004 is the 60th Birthday of the IMF/World Bank. We at Jubilee believe that it's no time for a party to celebrate the IMF/World Bank. The institutions have left many harmful legacies over the past 60 years

my birthdays should probably also not be celebrated for these reasons (though on a smaller scale and withwout worldwide effects) for I also have sucked many a times in my lifetime

I agree the IMF has failed on many accounts
but the ideas behind starting the IMF do have some definitive merrit IMO

That's exactly what we're pointing out, Salome. Their 60th anniversary is exactly the best time to examine why Keynes and Co started the IFIs, and how badly they have fulfilled that original mandate. I agree, we do need multilateral financial insitutions, but we need them to be effective, transparent and democratic. Thanks for your post! I'm always open to debating the issues. :up:

Thanks so much all! Inis, welcome! Haven't seen you on an Angels thread before (have it? :reject:). You're now an :angel: I'll add you on the website! :yes:

HIP HOP!!!! Meine Freund! Wie gehts??? :hug: Und, danke! So, you want to fly to DC to deliver unhappy birthday cards with me?

Come on, Angels, where are the rest of you? :)

sd

Thanks Sherry for the welcome and for adding me to your website. I am fairly new to Interference that's why I have never posted here before. But I really do support what Jubilee and Data are doing.

Clean water, food, proper housing, education and medicians are not for just for some. These are basic human rights, for everyone. So, please everyone get involed, take action, together we can accomplish great things!

Sherry, seriously, it would be a total honor and pleasure to fly to DC with you, to walk through those holy halls of financial institutions like the IMF. I?m thinking of visiting the US this summer, not sure yet... we could consider, hmm, my timetable isn?t fixed yet for summer due to babylonic stuff like my job.. but we could consider.. email. :)

Thanks Sherry! I don't have a working printer anymore but I'll find one.

You've got my email, right Hip Hop? If not, PM me and I'll send it to you. June 8-10 is the G8 vigils so if you're on this side of the pond, that could be fun too. :) :yes:

Kitty, no need to print them. I'm happy to mail you some if you'd like. PM me your addy.

Inis. :yes: :hug: :angel:

sd

Got it Hiphop! :yes: :wave: thanks!

Kitty, Sue, and anyone else, like I said, feel free to email, PM or just post here and I am happy to mail you as many cards as you'd like!

Cheryl

Okay, I'm posting! I can find a way to print them, you don't have to mail them. One day I will get me a new printer! With 3 kids and 3 cats in the house it kind of got knocked off in the floor a few too many times :uhoh: :sigh: Thanks, I'll PM you if I need anything! :wave:

LMAO! My cat, Rosalita (you Bruce fans will recognize that) love my printer. She bats at the paper as it's coming out. :cute:

So you're all set then--thanks so much Kitty! :angel: Sue, Inis, any one else, happy to send some along if you'd like! :yes: I can't wait until they see us drive up with almost 20,000 cards letting them to DROP THE DEBT! :hyper: :mac:

sd

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom