Htda"a"b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tania

New Yorker
Latest news from Oz.

A QUICK splash in the backyard turned into an emergency when a central Queensland woman discovered her toddler playing with an old World War II bomb.

Michelle Bates of Gargett, in the Pioneer Valley west of Mackay, had taken her son Liam to a waterhole on her property on Tuesday when she noticed him playing with a "suspicious" object.
"There was a bit of water in the gully and I had taken the kids down to have a bit of a splash," she said today. "I saw him pick up something and I wasn't sure what it was. Turns out it was a bomb."

Police and an army bomb disposal team from Townsville removed the object, which experts later identified as a 3.5-inch anti-tank rocket.

The bomb was commonly used by Australian and US troops during WWII and the Korean War.

Ms Bates said Liam had been playing with the 60cm object only 30m from the house with his sisters Cassidy, four, and Zoe, two, and a family friend's two toddlers, a three-year-old and an 18-month-old. "I thought it was a bit suspicious and my friend said it was part of a pump. I said `I don't know about that'," Ms Bates said.

"At first we rang the museum thinking they would be able to tell us what it was. Then we called the police." Ms Bates said the police officer "freaked out" when he saw the object.

"He wouldn't go within two metres of it. That made us freak out more – we had it inside the house."

Ms Bates said they quickly brought the bomb back to the gully, padlocked the gate to the area and moved well clear.

Army spokesman Mark Tanzer said the bomb contained no explosives and was not dangerous. He said the bomb was taken back to Townsville's Lavarack Barracks, where it would be used to help train explosive ordnance disposal soldiers to recognise ammunition.

Chances of picking up a bomb in your back yard : Negligible

Sense of taking said bomb into your home and then returning to where you have found it and "paddlocking the gate": Incredible

Reaction of police man: Priceless

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Back
Top Bottom