HS Student Wants To Pose W/Gun For Yearbook Photo - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2004, 06:47 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:15 AM
HS Student Wants To Pose W/Gun For Yearbook Photo

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/3759048/detail.html

So what do you think, should he be allowed to?

Old 09-25-2004, 06:48 AM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:15 PM
What a Maroon!

Old 09-25-2004, 06:53 AM   #3
The Fly

Local Time: 05:15 AM
Even though the gun is for skeet shooting, I agree with the school's decision to disallow the photo. It sends the wrong message and not everyone will know its a skeet gun. School photos should reflect activities held/participated in during school. This photo would start a dangerous precedent. What's next, students wanting to pose with their knife collections or homemade bombs???
Old 09-25-2004, 07:19 AM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Hmmm, that's something that would probably happen at my HS, if it hasn't already (you should see our classrooms on opening deer or trout day!). I guess technically I don't see anything wrong with it. Every other person has a picture with their cat, horse, car, motorcycle, guitar, basketball, etc. If the kid can't have his pic w/ the gun, then they should allow headshots/portraits only. I know a few schools that already do this. You can have whatever you want to pass out, but in the yearbook you can only have your face with a solid background.

I think more schools should use the above said policy b/c honestly, when I page through my little bro's yearbook, I'd probably never notice a kid with a rifle, but what I DO notice are all these huge chested, fake baked, barbie blonde girls wearing the skimpiest shirt they could cram themselves into and then doing these poses where they lean against a railing so as to make each boob on its own appear larger than her head. My bro was showing our family the pics he'd got from girls and most of us agreed we'd never let our girls use a picture like the ones they were giving out (unless they were trying out to be a Playboy centerfold or something).
Old 09-25-2004, 10:43 AM   #5
Blue Crack Distributor

live free or die, man... welcome to new hampshire.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:37 PM   #6
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:15 AM
If they allow horses or trumpets or whatever, they probably have to allow the skeet gun.

My high school (and college, come to think of it) only allowed plain headshots for the yearbook portraits. Simple as that.

Join Amnesty.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:49 AM   #7
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:15 PM
Um. It's a gun. How is it different to someone wanting to pose with a guillotine or a machette? Perhaps a Cat'O Nine Tails or one of those torture wheels.

Complacency is what adds to America's 11,000+ deaths per year from firearms. Very sad.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:02 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I agree w/ Angela
Old 09-26-2004, 11:57 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:15 AM
tricky question.

my first reaction was to agree with angela, too. guns are glorified enough already in american mainstream culture. the last thing the country needs is for teenagers to be posing with them in high school yearbooks.

but.... the article isn't clear if he's into target practice or hunting. either way, are these less legitimate hobbies than say soccer or chess? he's not advocating violence in schools. he just wants his photo to reflect what he sees as part of his identity, like the kids posing with their musical instruments or sports gear.

there are strong arguments on both sides. i'm leaning more towards the latter, but i understand why this is controversial.
Old 09-26-2004, 12:05 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:15 AM
I posed with my "I DC" shirt........

I'm conflicted on this one. I'm all for the expression of his hobby and all, but at the same time it does send the wrong message whether he meant to or not.
Old 09-26-2004, 04:14 PM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Um. It's a gun. How is it different to someone wanting to pose with a guillotine or a machette? Perhaps a Cat'O Nine Tails or one of those torture wheels.
I think this is a hard one b/c in a lot of places, everyone who saw that pic would know it's just a skeet gun. I'm wondering if my HS would even care if my bro was wearing his orange and camo and holding his deer rifle in pic. Everyone around here would know instantly that it's not the kind of weapon you use to kill someone.

I think whatever decision is made, it needs to be fair. If the kid can't hold a skeet gun, then the next kid can't have his motorcycle. Like dandy said, who's to decide which hobby is OK and which one is considered "violent" (even when in reality it's less violent team sports).

I wonder, what if it were once of those fencing pokers/swords/whatever, or what if the kid were wearing a karate outfit? I mean, fencing and karate are a WHOLE lot more violent than shooting clay pigeons! Even football is more violent than skeet shooting and lots of guys pose with football gear.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:08 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

I don't like the idea of posing for a high school picture with a gun. I think the people who told him he couldn't are being reasonable. It's sending the wrong message. It's saying that it's OK to have a gun in school. We've already got a problem with too much violence in the schools.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:48 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:15 AM
This is really matter of a school's right to regulate or restrict a student's free speech. Students do not full free speech rights at school. This case is tough if the student is part of a shooting club or some other such activity. If other students can hold the instruments of their school activities, this student should be able to.

I note that the photo show him holding the gun in a non-threatening way - it is clear that this is a hobby of his.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:19 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
I note that the photo show him holding the gun in a non-threatening way - it is clear that this is a hobby of his.
I agree, as much as I oppose guns, I don't see that much harm in it. However it is good that schools are looking into it in case someone wants to pose in his KKK outfit or with an RGP.
Old 09-27-2004, 11:44 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Interesting points about the fact that this is a hobby for him. Would the big shots take exception to someone wanting to pose in medieval armor with a (fake) SCA rattan-made sword? Damn. This issue just got ten times more complicated for me.