HRC: common ground on abortion; also, politically brilliant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
verte76 said:
*Many* people don't like Hillary. She's controversial and somewhat divisive. But it's hard to deny that she's got political smarts and appeals to some people.

Yeah, but how can you be married to the President for so long and have no clue about his escapades?

Hillary for President.

Why do Americans say Hillary is divisive? I've never figured this out. I always thought she was inclusive. Can anyone give specific examples?

Of course, I am not among grassroots Americans and have never had to put up with her health policies in person...

foray

speedracer said:

Yeah, but how can you be married to the President for so long and have no clue about his escapades?

That's a rather daft question, or are you trying to be sardonic, in which case ignore my comment :p

yarof

foray said:
Hillary for President.

Why do Americans say Hillary is divisive? I've never figured this out. I always thought she was inclusive. Can anyone give specific examples?

she's a powerful woman. she's also not the happy homemaker type who seems to have just fallen into politics (all an act, btw; Elizabeth Dole is every bit the operator her husband is, but she does a much better job at disguising this than the HRC-Bomb) -- she's very smart, very opinionated, and as much a political operative as anybody else in washington. there are clear double-standards in play here, where women in politics are encouraged to frame their political ambitions as extentions of their roles as mothers. if i had a dollar for every single time a Republican woman answered a question with the phrase, "well, speaking as a mother ..."

simply, it is unappetizing for a significant portion of the country for a women to be as careerist and opportunist as any man. we call these men ambitious; we call such women "bitch."

Irvine511 said:

she's a powerful woman. she's also not the happy homemaker type who seems to have just fallen into politics (all an act, btw; Elizabeth Dole is every bit the operator her husband is, but she does a much better job at disguising this than the HRC-Bomb) -- she's very smart, very opinionated, and as much a political operative as anybody else in washington. there are clear double-standards in play here, where women in politics are encouraged to frame their political ambitions as extentions of their roles as mothers. if i had a dollar for every single time a Republican woman answered a question with the phrase, "well, speaking as a mother ..."

simply, it is unappetizing for a significant portion of the country for a women to be as careerist and opportunist as any man. we call these men ambitious; we call such women "bitch."

Thank you so much. Politics aside, I think a lot of people have a hard time with Hillary because she is obviously ambitious and not afraid to have an opinion or show her smarts. And just what the hell is wrong with being ambitious, having an opinion, or showing one's smarts? I'd really like to know. I can handle Hillary Clinton and Elizabeth Dole for having ambition, opinions and smarts and I look up to them for those reasons. I despise vapid, silly, superficial women with cotton candy for brains.

And if being ambitious, having an opinion, and showing one's smarts makes one a bitch, then call me a bitch!

i think we can summarize HRC's position on abortion as the one that the Democrats are going to move towards, and one that is going to become the mainstream American position very soon:

Safe. Legal. Never.

in a perfect world, there will be no abortions. until we get to that world, it must remain safe, and legal. let's work to make all pregnancies wanted, so abortion becomes a thing of the past.

and i just want to add that no homosexual relationship has ever produced an abortion ;)

financeguy said:
Well personally, I am very much against abortion. The problem with legalising abortion is that it turns into abortion on demand very quickly, which has happened in most countries where abortion has been legalised.
hmm, I wasn't aware of that
could very well be though

Back
Top Bottom