Howard Dean Likely to Become New DNC Chair...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melon

ONE love, blood, life
Over the past two days, every other contender for the post has dropped out, with nearly all of them backing Dean. The only remaining candidate is former Indiana Rep. Tim Roemer, who only has 4 open endorsements versus Dean's 250 open endorsements. Even if the rest of the delegates happened to vote for Roemer, Dean already has the majority. So, barring any unforseen circumstance, Dean is poised to be the new DNC chair.

You can learn a lot about his stances on his two main sites:

http://www.democracyforamerica.com/
http://www.blogforamerica.com/

I would suggest reading those over comparing him to his run for the presidential primary. I feel as if he has learned from his mistakes, putting more emphasis on "tact," while not compromising core Democratic values to be "more Republican."

I'm really quite optimistic about Dean running the DNC. I really find myself agreeing with most everything he says nowadays (I thought he was too "war-obsessed" in the Presidential primaries), and it makes it such a pity that Kerry ended up being the Presidential nominee in 2004.

Thoughts?

Melon

diamond said:
i think it would be a plus for the GOP if Dean takes the helm there:wink:

On the contrary, I think Dean might be the only one willing to make the Democratic Party strong again.

A lot of the platform he is pushing for nowadays, I think will resonate with the American public. He just needs to avoid the "anti-war" hysteria that sunk the Democrats in 2004. There's more to America than that goddamn war.

Melon

deep said:
old saying

be careful what you wish for

What...tell me what's the alternative? Yet another jellyfish of a Democrat running the show? Or a sell-out like Terrence McAuliffe. The Democratic Party has lost all respectability when it comes to battling unethical corporate behavior, because it accepts the same corporate contributions that the GOP does! Some companies even bother to go 50/50 in their contributions between the GOP and the Democrats.

You know what? If the Democrats start trying to mirror the GOP to win elections, then they can fuck themselves, because I will then switch to the Green Party and never cast one more vote for them ever again.

That's why I see Dean as a positive change for the Democratic Party: there's no other alternative.

Melon

melon said:

What...tell me what's the alternative? ....

Melon

my reply

was meant for db9

I think Dean may get the job done.

He is not stupid.

Would have probably done better in the South and with working class white voters than Kerry.

With an evenly divided country
a 2-3 % shift is significant.

melon said:

You know what? If the Democrats start trying to mirror the GOP to win elections, then they can fuck themselves, because I will then switch to the Green Party and never cast one more vote for them ever again.

Is that Green, as in raising a whole lot of Green for Ralph Nader?

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

speedracer said:
Is that Green, as in raising a whole lot of Green for Ralph Nader?

(Sorry, I just couldn't resist.)

Well, me voting "Green" was mostly hot air. I enjoy a party that's more liberal, yes, but even I think they're too far out there. And, deep down, I think most people would be earnestly afraid of Ralph Nader being president--even the Greenies.

But I don't want the Democrats to take me for granted. I might just skip Election Day and encourage others to do the same.

Melon

My take on Dean is an overweight version of Welsley Clarke with too much testostorine.

And believe me, I know all about testostorine.:sexywink:

and he blinks too much and is a butterball.

thank u
db9
:angry:

Last edited:
Diamond, sweetie, your wit is captivating. Really. But do you have any *substantial* comments about Dr. Dean? :wink: :hug:

Melon, I am excited to see what Dean can accomplish. I think he's a great grassroots organizer and I think he's got the backbone and fresh vision the DNC desperately needs.

Oh, and Obama '08! :p

SD

I'm thrilled. Dean has the passion and the vision to be so much better than Terry McAullife. I've actually joined his "Democracy for America" group although I have yet to make a meeting because I've been sick so much and I've had some really distracting issues as well. :censored: :censored: I can't wait to go to my first meeting, though!

I'm very encouraged for the Dem party with Dean at the Helm. He seems to have the guts to stand up to the media and to want to keep the party from becoming a GOP clone. I agree with Melon I'd be hard pressed to vote for them otherwise.

Children of the fourm-
Re Dr Dean-

My observation is this, regardless of polictical persuassion, he lacks universal appeal.
He does not have the magnetic charm that
Bill Clinton has
that
GW has
that
Ronald Reagan had.

It's that simple.

His own wife looks uncomfortable standing by his side.:huh:
If he can't sell his wares in his own home to his closest companion, I ask you children, how can he unite his whole party and the NEEDED moderates and undecideds?

Even Bill Clinton w/his loathsome behaviour had universal appeal.
He had a wife seething next to him but the common man loved him.

My observation at best is that:
Howard Dean is a rebel rouser and a cheerleader on too much caffiene and diet pills speaking for a core group of WAY left leaning Dems and some disenfranchised Ross Perot cast offs-Ppl who want to appear unique and Independent.

This is my observation and I stand by it.
I handsomely roll out the red carpet for Dr Dean.:wink:

Pass me a cigar.

thank u

db9
:wink:

Last edited:
First of all Diamond there's a huge difference in running for presidency and the Democratic chair. So your universal charm and all that talk is pretty useless.

Secondly I find it ironic that in your condescending tone you call us children, I mean this is coming from someone who uses pictures to debate.

Well I happen to think that this is a brilliant idea ~ the centrist who tried to run to the lefties on just one issue and managed to isolate those who would have agreed on his other ideas.

Last edited:
BonoVoxSupastar said:

Secondly I find it ironic that in your condescending tone you call us children, I mean this is coming from someone who uses pictures to debate.
:eyebrow: :sexywink::wink:
bed.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe Howard Dean if he takes a few anger management classes, gets plastic surgery, and changes his name. The Dean we know has already killed his career. The Clintons don't want him representing the party, and considering they're pretty much the most liberal family ever in the White House, that's a bad note for Dean.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6857146/site/newsweek/

Now Playing: 'Anybody But Dean, Part 2'
While the GOP danced, the Dems once again found themselves looking for a leader who's not from Vermont.

By Howard Fineman
Newsweek Jan. 31 issue

Within hours of George Bush's Inauguration, everyone was playing his assigned role. Republicans, happily united, were dancing the night away at glittering balls in downtown Washington. Democrats, meanwhile, divided into familiar warring camps: for and against Howard Dean. In Burlington, Vt., Dean and hundreds of fans gathered for an "un-Inauguration"—and in support of the former governor's quest to become the new chairman of the Democratic Party. In Georgetown that same evening, hordes of insiders partied at the stately home of Mark Penn, the Clinton family pollster, where they gripped and grinned with Bill and Hill, cheered each other up—and fretted about Dean's assault on party headquarters. "There was a ton of positive energy at the house," a guest said later, "except for the fear and loathing of Dean."

[...]

In the meantime, with the DNC meeting approaching on Feb. 12, party insiders have been conducting an urgent, so far fruitless, search for a consensus Dean-stopper. The Clintons don't like Dean on substance or style, seeing him as too left and too loose-lipped. But they're being careful. Hillary, already eying a presidential run in 2008, doesn't want to alienate the possible winner; she's leaving DNC maneuvers to Bill, whose answer last month was to sound out current chairman Terry McAuliffe about remaining in the job. (He declined.) The Clintons are said to have encouraged a good friend, veteran organizer Harold Ickes, to enter the chairman's race, but he begged off, too. Party leaders approached former senator Bob Kerrey, but he told them he would rather keep his job as president of the New School University.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• wjrt_012904_v_howard_dean1.jpg
    wjrt_012904_v_howard_dean1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 30
G. Howard Dean

Favorable Unfavorable Never heard-No Opin

2005 Feb 4-6 ----- 31 38 16 15
2004 Jan 29-Feb1 42 42 5 11
2004 Jan 2-5 ^ ---- 28 39 17 16
:hmm:

Last edited:
As expected, I see no one bothered to read Dean's platform in the DNC. Instead, we're rehashing the same old, same old with the presidential campaign.

And the Clintons as the most "liberal family" in the White House?! Hardly!

Melon

melon said:
And the Clintons as the most "liberal family" in the White House?! Hardly!
If it isn't the Clintons, who would it be? Slave-owning George Washington? Who, and how so?

Back
Top Bottom