Howard Dean Likely to Become New DNC Chair... - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #46
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Dean will do worse than Terry Mc.
db9

Old 02-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Sherry Darling
OMG you guys! I might be able to meet him tomorrow! He's going to be at a VA Grassroots Coalition even in DC!
Don't get too close to him in case he decides to break into a spontaneous scream

Old 02-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #48
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
I find it interesting that you think Clinton who showed up right smack in the middle to be "most liberal" and Dean who's not even a full square out of moderate is considered "hard core liberal" on the graphs you supplied. I guess your medium line is much further to the right than the majority of people.
Well, Reagan definately forced the Democratic Party much closer to the center. Yes, Clinton would be seen as a centrist by any democrat out there, but with 21st century issues, I don't think a further left leaning democrat would win the presidency than perhaps Al Gore. As far as the Kennedys, it's hard to say if JFK would lean as left as Ted Kennedy on social issues - probably, but obviously there are numerous issues in the 21st century that didn't exist in the 1960s. It's tragic that we really didn't know what he would've done for sure as far as Vietnam, but records would indicate that he certainly feared the spread of communism.

Quote:
http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/kentv.htm

President Kennedy's Television Interviews on Vietnam
September 2 and 9, 1963

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(a) CBS Interview, September 2

MR. CRONKITE. Mr. President, the only hot war we've got running at the moment is of course the one in Viet-Nam, and we have our difficulties here, quite obviously.

PRESIDENT KENNEDY. I don't think that unless a greater effort is made by the Government to win popular support that the war can be won out there. In the final analysis, it is their war. They are the ones who have to win it or lose it. We can help them, we can give them equipment, we can send our men out there as advisers, but they have to win it—the people of Viet-Nam—against the Communists. We are prepared to continue to assist them, but I don't think that the war can be won unless the people support the effort, and, in my opinion, in the last 2 months the Government has gotten out of touch with the people.
Quote:
And yes I second what Melon said, I think some in here are quite confused as to what the chair actually does.
As Terry McAuliffe would say, the job is to raise money and be a cheerleader for the democrats. Dean is capable of raising money, no doubt about it, but I think he will have a lot of trouble appealing the democratic party the South and mountain regions. Some of his comments might suggest that he finds them to be a bunch of hillbillies with confederate flags on their trucks. To see him overcome that obstacle and help the dems get the south back would be impressive, but unlikely.

"I still want to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pick-up trucks" - Howard Dean

John Edwards offered a more digestive tone, I will say: "I grew up in the South. I grew up with the very people that you're talking about. And what Al Sharpton just said is exactly right. The people that I grew up with, the vast majority of them, they don't drive around with Confederate flags on pickup trucks. One of the problems that we have with young people today is people talk down to you. You know, you get all pigeon-holed. They've stereotype you. Exactly the same thing happens with people from the South. I have seen it. I have grown up with it. I'm here to tell you it is wrong. It is condescending. And the only way that we as a party are going to win the White House back is to reach out to everybody and treat them with the dignity and respect that they're entitled to. That's what we ought to be doing."

I think Edwards is more suitable for the DNC chair, especially if they want to appeal to the south. It's too bad he isn't interested in the job, he's one of the more reserved democrats.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:47 AM   #49
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Macfistowannabe
Yes, Clinton would be seen as a centrist by any democrat out there, but with 21st century issues, I don't think a further left leaning democrat would win the presidency than perhaps Al Gore.
He's a centrist by anyone's standards who have any clue about politics, not just Democrats. Once again take a look at the graph, that's not just for Democrats.

Do you honestly think the rest of the 21st century will be like the 2004 election? The line will change, it always does. People will eventually see that certain spending or policies don't work. Or they'll realize that all this time and energy spent on trying to make homosexuals 2nd class citizens was ridiculous. Just look at where women and blacks are today and how they were treated 50 years ago.

Quote:

As far as the Kennedys, it's hard to say if JFK would lean as left as Ted Kennedy on social issues - probably, but obviously there are numerous issues in the 21st century that didn't exist in the 1960s.
And vice versa! Are we forgetting what happened in the 60's?

Quote:

"I still want to be the candidate for guys with Confederate flags in their pick-up trucks" - Howard Dean
Um, I think he was trying to say he was reaching outside of his party.

Quote:

I think Edwards is more suitable for the DNC chair, especially if they want to appeal to the south. It's too bad he isn't interested in the job, he's one of the more reserved democrats.
Why would you want more reserved to be a cheerleader for the party?
Old 02-09-2005, 03:58 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
He's a centrist by anyone's standards who have any clue about politics, not just Democrats. Once again take a look at the graph, that's not just for Democrats.
He's a moderate populist - qualified technically as a centrist, yes. However, I don't think further left leaning democrats (not necessarily populist types like Gore/Clinton, more like Ted Kennedy/Howard Dean types) have a shot at president, in my opinion. This time around, the "stole the election" line was a good laugh. Kerry couldn't get support from heavily populated minority states like New Mexico. While the Hispanic population is growing, the democrats are losing their support. As far as blacks and women, oppression on women and blacks wasn't partisan. There were plenty of nuts on both sides.

Quote:
Um, I think he was trying to say he was reaching outside of his party.
And his best effort was stereotypical. Dean has no appeal to the South, even as a DNC chairman. You have to be a lefty in the South in order to stand him. I'd like to see him prove me wrong, but I doubt he of all people would win back southern voters.

Quote:
Why would you want more reserved to be a cheerleader for the party?
Not just reserved, but in priority, someone who knows how to relate to the south, like John Edwards. Believe me, I'm no democrat, but I find the guy a lot more withstandable than Howard Dean. A lot of mainstream democrats do not feel positive about having Dean in the chair.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6857146/site/newsweek/
Now Playing: 'Anybody But Dean, Part 2'
Old 02-09-2005, 09:01 PM   #51
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:54 AM
Quote:
He's a moderate populist - qualified technically as a centrist, yes. However, I don't think further left leaning democrats (not necessarily populist types like Gore/Clinton, more like Ted Kennedy/Howard Dean types) have a shot at president, in my opinion. This time around, the "stole the election" line was a good laugh. Kerry couldn't get support from heavily populated minority states like New Mexico. While the Hispanic population is growing, the democrats are losing their support. As far as blacks and women, oppression on women and blacks wasn't partisan. There were plenty of nuts on both sides.
Sorry but you didn't answer anything I talked about.
Quote:

And his best effort was stereotypical. Dean has no appeal to the South, even as a DNC chairman. You have to be a lefty in the South in order to stand him. I'd like to see him prove me wrong, but I doubt he of all people would win back southern voters.
It's not his role to "win back southern voters", HE'S NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT.

Quote:

Not just reserved, but in priority, someone who knows how to relate to the south, like John Edwards. Believe me, I'm no democrat, but I find the guy a lot more withstandable than Howard Dean. A lot of mainstream democrats do not feel positive about having Dean in the chair.

He had well over the amount of votes needed to win chair. So I'm not sure who this "a lot of mainstream Democrats" comes from.

It doesn't matter who you find more likable, his role is not to win new votes.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:17 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Sorry but you didn't answer anything I talked about.

It's not his role to "win back southern voters", HE'S NOT RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT.
I know he isn't. It is however in his plans to help the democrats appeal to southern voters.

Quote:
He had well over the amount of votes needed to win chair. So I'm not sure who this "a lot of mainstream Democrats" comes from.
The fact that the Clintons - basically the face of the democratic party - find Dean too left and too loose-lipped, and surely they aren't the only democratic leaders who see that. Read the link I gave in my last post.

Quote:
It doesn't matter who you find more likable, his role is not to win new votes.
Again, they want to appeal to the south. Dean of all people would surprise me if he actually helps the dems appeal to the south.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:20 PM   #53
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Don't get too close to him in case he decides to break into a spontaneous scream
I feel sorry for his wife and kids.