How Young Should You Marry? - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-16-2006, 12:04 PM   #31
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 01:06 AM
men get better around 25 or 26.
__________________

__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 06-16-2006, 12:40 PM   #32
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 06:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
men get better around 25 or 26.
Good to know.
__________________

__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 06-16-2006, 12:54 PM   #33
War Child
 
MsGiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 905
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
men get better around 25 or 26.
Better at what????
__________________
MsGiggles is offline  
Old 06-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MsGiggles


Better at what????


at being people instead of Maxim subscribers.

i know my life didn't start to get sorted out until i was 26 or so. i was miserable from ages 23-26, and much of it had to do with getting my life together and getting started in a career where they spend the first few years making you grovel.

i was never a Maxim subscriber, but i know many who are/were.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 06-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict
 
U2democrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: England by way of 'Murica.
Posts: 22,140
Local Time: 06:06 AM
Honestly I would be shocked if you were a Maxim subscriber
__________________
U2democrat is offline  
Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
Honestly I would be shocked if you were a Maxim subscriber


i find that magazine, while sometimes very funny, to be sexist. sexist towards men.

like, it totally assumes men are idiots and make them proud to be so.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 06-16-2006, 01:11 PM   #37
War Child
 
MsGiggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 905
Local Time: 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
at being people instead of Maxim subscribers.

i know my life didn't start to get sorted out until i was 26 or so. i was miserable from ages 23-26, and much of it had to do with getting my life together and getting started in a career where they spend the first few years making you grovel.

i was never a Maxim subscriber, but i know many who are/were.
Honestly I hated my 20's too - but the 30's are rockin'....and the guys seem to have their act together too (for the most part)
__________________
MsGiggles is offline  
Old 06-16-2006, 01:14 PM   #38
Blue Crack Addict
 
nbcrusader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Southern California
Posts: 22,071
Local Time: 10:06 PM
Guys really don't get it until their 40's
__________________
nbcrusader is offline  
Old 06-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #39
War Child
 
Tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Long Beach, CA USA
Posts: 778
Local Time: 06:06 AM
well I think that 18 should be the limit. But who knows. I guess if this does pass and all that in a few years when there is data on how many actually do get married under the age of 18 you can tell if divorce rates are higher or lower and if age really does have a play on how long a relationship can and will last. BTW NO Way would I get married at 15!! Too much stuff to do before you go that route I say.
__________________
Tech is online now  
Old 06-16-2006, 04:31 PM   #40
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




i find that magazine, while sometimes very funny, to be sexist. sexist towards men.

like, it totally assumes men are idiots and make them proud to be so.
So it's the male equivalent of Cosmopolitan?

Back in the day (the Helen Gurley Brown era), that used to be such a good, soft-feminist-type magazine. I read the cover in line at the supermarket now, and just shake my head. The crap they're feeding young women today.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 06-16-2006, 04:49 PM   #41
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Irvine511's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 30,483
Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk


So it's the male equivalent of Cosmopolitan?


exactly.

though, what i find interesting, are the sex articles -- in women's magazines it's stuff like "how to please him/what he *really* wants" whereas in men's magazines it's "how to make her beg for more/blow her mind/think you're the greatest love in the history of the universe."

heterosexual roles must be terribly confining.
__________________
Irvine511 is online now  
Old 06-16-2006, 05:40 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict
 
Liesje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: In the dog house
Posts: 19,557
Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511




exactly.

though, what i find interesting, are the sex articles -- in women's magazines it's stuff like "how to please him/what he *really* wants" whereas in men's magazines it's "how to make her beg for more/blow her mind/think you're the greatest love in the history of the universe."

OMG, those articles are hilarious. My housemates and I read them outloud. Most of the time I'm laughing so hard I can't even talk. They're so dumb, it's like what I'd expect to read if I asked a bunch of 12 year olds to imagine weird things to do with their private parts.
__________________
Liesje is offline  
Old 06-16-2006, 05:48 PM   #43
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic


OMG, those articles are hilarious. My housemates and I read them outloud. Most of the time I'm laughing so hard I can't even talk. They're so dumb, it's like what I'd expect to read if I asked a bunch of 12 year olds to imagine weird things to do with their private parts.

Hilarious, yes, but unfortunately, it's probably impressionable 12 year olds who are reading it, and being left with a warped idea of what it means to be female.

It's all about pleasing your man, y'know.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 06-16-2006, 06:08 PM   #44
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Strong Badia
Posts: 3,429
Local Time: 06:06 AM
I think it's twelve-year-olds who write them.
__________________
nathan1977 is offline  
Old 06-16-2006, 08:28 PM   #45
ONE
love, blood, life
 
melon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 11,781
Local Time: 01:06 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
Well I do know, as I'm a history teacher and all, but have people gotten more immature compared to 50 or 75 years ago?
All of it is a matter of perspective. During WWII, the government was concerned that our youth was getting "too soft," when compared to WWI and prior veterans. But nowadays, we hold them up as a kind of "gold standard" for what it means to be a soldier.

However, I would say that our culture does put a premium on youth, so that could be part of it.

Melon
__________________

__________________
melon is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com