How will you remember 9/11 today? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2007, 01:05 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:37 PM
Initially after 9-11 I never felt anger, mostly shock and sadness.

6 years later, I feel mostly anger...almost jaded really.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:37 AM
I remembered by watching replays of that day on TV before I left for school. Between when I left for the bus and when I got to school, I thought about what everyone on the bus was doing 6 years ago. They probably did not know what was going on until somebody got a phone call on their cell and announced to everybody what happened.

To get into Manhattan, my bus has to go through New Jersey. At one point, it passes the West Side skyline. I could imagine the sight of lower Manhattan six years ago. Apparently, so did a few other people on the bus because they were looking out the window with solemn looks.

I'll glad people are still remembering. There was some talk recently that 9/11 Remembrances should be done away with. But how could you stop remembering?

To this day, I still don't understand why it all happened. It still doesn't make any sense, and it wasn't fair at all.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

I'll never forget it either.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:37 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
this is from the documentary i keep talking about, Faith and Doubt at Ground Zero, and it strikes me as just about the most powerful thing i can think of. screw the politics, screw the war, screw the mistakes, screw the warped patriotism, screw the last 6 years.

this, to me, is what matters:

[q]These are final conversations that were recorded on cell phones, recorded on voice mail. They seem to me to be incredible texts, because they were at the moment of confronting life or death. They're so pure about the expression of love between husband and wife, between mother and child. ... When I read them, I just felt they were texts as sacred as the text that we end up having recorded, that we transmit from generation to generation.

I read these every single morning now, or most mornings, because they remind me that whatever my tradition is about, it's about this. It's about being able to express love. It's about being able to understand. Taking care of our children. It's about being in real, genuine friendships.

They just seem so real to me. ... I know all these chants because my father is a cantor. He transmitted all these ancient Jewish chants to me, so they almost naturally came out in chant. I realized, "My God, the chant that we use to read one of the Scriptures that tells the story of the destruction of the temple in Jerusalem and the burning down of that temple, those chants fit this perfectly," although that's not how I thought about it. The chant came and then I said the chant worked, which, of course, is the way a good tradition works. The chant has made them even more alive to me and then links these new texts to my traditional text, even though I don't know these people. But the fact is, we all knew these people in our own way. ...

[Singing]:

"Honey. Something terrible is happening. I don't think I'm going to make it. I love you. Take care of the children."

"Hey, Jules. It's Brian. I'm on the plane and it's hijacked and it doesn't look good. I just wanted to let you know that I love you, and I hope to see you again. If I don't, please have fun in life, and live life the best you can. Know that I love you, and no matter what, I'll see you again."

"Mommy. The building is on fire. There's smoke coming through the walls. I can't breathe. I love you, Mommy. Good-bye."
[/q]

we are all connected to the 82nd floor.

and now i might have to shut my office door and take a moment to compose myself.

RIP to the 2,794 departed.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:07 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
I watched about 10 min of the real time repeat on MSNBC, I just couldn't handle it. For me it seems far too morbid to watch.

I just watched the real-time stream they had on CNN.com. They had it on last year too. It began shortly after the first tower was hit. All of the sudden out of nowhere the 2nd plane had hit. Despite the many many times I have seen the footage, it was even more shocking to see it happen in almost real-time.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:13 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Here's a prayer from Beliefnet.

Almighty God, the events of September 11th will be indelibly inscribed in our memories.
We looked with horror on the terrorist attack.
But we looked with honor on acts of courage by ordinary people who sacrificed themselves to prevent further death and destruction.
We shed our tears in a common bond of grief for those we loved and lost. We journeyed through a dark valley, but your light has led us to a place of hope.
You have turned our grief into determination. We are resolved to do what is good, and right, and just.
Help us to remember what it means to be Americans—a people endowed with abundant blessings.
Help us to cherish the freedoms we enjoy and inspire us to stand with courage, united as one nation in the midst of any adversity. Lord, hear this prayer for our nation. Amen.

Appropriate for many faiths
source: U.S. Navy Chaplain Corps

Old 09-11-2007, 02:42 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
Here's a prayer from Beliefnet.

Almighty God, the events of September 11th will be indelibly inscribed in our memories.
We looked with horror on the terrorist attack.
But we looked with honor on acts of courage by ordinary people who sacrificed themselves to prevent further death and destruction.
We shed our tears in a common bond of grief for those we loved and lost. We journeyed through a dark valley, but your light has led us to a place of hope.
You have turned our grief into determination. We are resolved to do what is good, and right, and just.
Help us to remember what it means to be Americans—a people endowed with abundant blessings.
Help us to cherish the freedoms we enjoy and inspire us to stand with courage, united as one nation in the midst of any adversity. Lord, hear this prayer for our nation. Amen.

Appropriate for many faiths
source: U.S. Navy Chaplain Corps

Excellent ecumenical prayer.

dbs
Old 09-11-2007, 04:44 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

For some reason, I never go out anyplace except to pick the kids up from school, I always stay home.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:27 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Some years I read the FYM thread from that day. Last year I sat in the car and listened to radio tributes, but I'm scared to this year b/c last year they actually played 911 calls from people on the top floors and it was really disturbing for me (and I'm not easily disturbed). I always end up thinking about the service trip I went on a few weeks after. We sorted all the donations coming to the Red Cross and then went to Ground Zero. That's the only time I've ever been to NYC and even with nothing to compare it to, being in Manhattan and hearing almost silence is still haunting.... Sept. 11 is my birthday but I prefer to celebrate on another day.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:06 PM   #25
blm
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:37 AM
Happy Birthday Liesje!!! It is okay, it is a special day for you.
It shouldn't mean any less.
I was at home, holding my 2 month old daughter in my arms, after just putting my 1st grader on the bus, watching this unthinkable attack.
It is a day we should NEVER forget and won't. We must always talk about it, and with our children, each year, with love and respect for those lost and those that survived and those that are fighting a crazy war now.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:12 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 11:07 AM
Since my birthday is September 10 th I will always remember that I woke up with a friend of mine after the party and we started to watch a Backstreet boys DVD Then my father entered the room and asked us how we could be watching that after all that was happening!!!

I felt so sorry for Americans but above all, I felt bad because humans could do that to other humans in the name of God

it was shoking watch even MTV with the news

for USA

OW! and the tons of urban legends that came after that
Old 09-11-2007, 09:53 PM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

I was 11 and in the 6th grade. I knew pretty much about politics for that age and was mad b/c the teachers wouldnt let us know what was going on only 7th and 8th were allowed to watch it. alot of my teachers were crying b/c they had family in nyc and they didnt know if they were ok..same with my best friend her dad works right by the towers but he was ok she didnt know at the time though.
when i got home my friend kadee and i talked about it and vented. all we knew was that we hated bin laden and that we were scared. that day it felt like the world fell apart because something happened in our country and plus the plane landing in PA//a few hours away from my city.
i dunno why these things go on when so many people just want love and peace.
god bless america and the troops
Old 09-12-2007, 02:24 AM   #28
Refugee

Local Time: 08:37 PM
I didn't end up watching United 93 this evening -- I think it would have been too much for me. I definitely felt the weight of 9/11 through the day. It was helpful to read folks' comments.