How To Identify Convicted Drunk Drivers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Drunken Drivers May Get Special DUI Plates

A Florida state senator wants to require convicted drunken drivers to have license plates that start with "DUI."

The proposed law would also require bright pink license plates on vehicles driven by people with restricted driving privileges due to convictions for driving under the influence.

"Maybe it will embarrass people and keep them from drinking and driving," State Sen. Mike Fasano said. "Maybe they'll think twice."

The bill also says police "may stop any vehicle that bears a DUI plate without probable cause to check the driver."

Ohio and Michigan have similar laws in place. Other states have debated the issue, but failed to pass it due to privacy reasons.

Perhaps this will have an effective deterrent effect.

If the prospect of causing a fatal accident doesn't deter people, then I don't think this will either.

I'm all for anything that might deter drunk driving, though I'm very skeptical that anyone who would drive drunk and risk killing someone would even care about being embarrassed. I don't know about the stopping w/ out probable cause, even though I feel anything and everything should be done to stop the murder of innocent people by drunk drivers.

Privacy vs the loss of those innocent lives, where do you draw the line?

Indeed MrsSpringsteen, and have they considered the notion that possibly turning a recovering alcoholic into an outcast might have an adverse effect?

DrTeeth said:
If the prospect of causing a fatal accident doesn't deter people, then I don't think this will either.

My guess is that most who drink never consider the potential for a fatal accident, and will be more concerned about the impact to their image. This proposal attacks our vanity.

Might as well go back to the days of the scarlet letters.

Maybe drivers who've gotten more than one speeding ticket can get 'SP' in their plates.

Maybe we can tatoo people's criminal records on their palms.

Well of course not all people who drive drunk are alcoholics, and not all alcoholics drive drunk. Also we're talking about something that can take lives, it's not the same as having other types of criminal offenses on your record. Where I live repeat offenders are a huge problem. If you can't be responsible enough to not drive while drunk, do you deserve the privilege? Yes people are human and make mistakes, but that is one whopper of a mistake.

nbcrusader said:
Oh the shame in shame! Let's help keep all our bad acts secret.

People make mistakes. Would you like every mistake of yours tatooed on your forehead?

Some may get convicted of a DUI and never touch another drop of alcohol, or at least never drive again after even one drink but will live with that mistake for everyone to see it. While another driver may have 4 or 5 speeding tickets on their record placing just as many if not more lives in danger but lives guilt free.

I say 2 or more convictions and you take away driving privleages or place a breathalizer in the ignition, but this scarlet letter crap is bullshit.

Next thing we'll know every sin of ours will be out their for the world to see.

Let's not go overboard with the "every sin" tatooed on the forehead.

This is a simple proposal for a license plate. And the denial of privileges/brethalizer ignitions have been tried as well.

I think someone's vanity can be tarnished a bit after a DUI conviction.

Every person is different obviously, but I know someone who drove while "intoxicated" on pills - he drove into a mailbox, luckily for him and anyone who may have been killed or injured that's all he did. He had no business whatsoever driving. He is an addict and might do it again one day, who knows.. honestly it didn't seem to bother him all that much.

Some people do learn from their mistakes and will never do it again, obviously the best punishment would be individualized and not penalize those who do learn. On the other hand I always think about those who have been killed and those who have lost loved ones. Does MADD endorse this license plate idea?

I would tend to agree with BVS on this one.

To me, driving automobiles, in and of itself, is a potentially dangerous activity......cars kill thousands a year and pollute the environment.

Clearly, drunk driving increases the danger factor. No one sensible will deny that. But even driving when sober carries a risk.

People with high capacity or tolerance for alcohol can drive after one or two drinks and not endanger anyone. Might not be PC to say it, but there you go.

That said, I understand and appreciate the argument that driving after alcohol is like carrying a loaded weapon around, and no-one in their right mind would condone drunk driving. But an automobile is potentially a loaded weapon even when driven by an inattentive sober driver.

Last edited:
nbcrusader said:
Yes it was extreme, but even some of the most minor laws can place lives in danger, like speeding.

nbcrusader said:

This is a simple proposal for a license plate. And the denial of privileges/brethalizer ignitions have been tried as well.

But then speeders and some elderly drivers should suffer the same humiliation, for they place lives in dangers as well.

My uncle is a liar, a cheat, a thief (he steals from the family and steals with his lies), an alcoholic, and a repeat DUI offender (we're talking jail time). He doesn't even HAVE a driver's license and he still drives around. I think he should have to have a big LOSER plate.

I have ZERO tolerance for drunk driving, zero. Personally, I'm not sure how much the plate would do, or if it's fair compared to other driving offenses. I'm all for stricter punishments like more jail time, fines, mandatory counselling...these are things that actually make people accountable for themselves. A little label on a license plate does not.

However, I would not be against a 'PSOR'-esque database online identifying repeat DUI offenders.

nbcrusader said:

Perhaps this will have an effective deterrent effect.

nbcrusader said:

My guess is that most who drink never consider the potential for a fatal accident, and will be more concerned about the impact to their image. This proposal attacks our vanity.

nbcrusader said:
Oh the shame in shame! Let's help keep all our bad acts secret.

nbcrusader said:

This is a simple proposal for a license plate. And the denial of privileges

dickcheney.jpg

this is a multiple offender

but he has no shame

it would have been nice if he could have been stopped

his forehead could hold some ink

how small would the print have to be for 2100 names?

....waits for the usual suspects to accuse Deep of 'pointless Bush bashing', or in this case 'pointless Cheney bashing', etc.....:reject:

financeguy said:
....waits for the usual suspects to accuse Deep of 'pointless Bush bashing', or in this case 'pointless Cheney bashing', etc.....:reject:

wonders if such comments from the "usual suspects" would really be so unwarranted. :eyebrow:

:wink:

as far as the idea about broadcasting people's DUI record, I think that's pretty stupid. I mean, I know around here we have the police blotter in the local paper, but that's about as far as it needs to go.

financeguy said:

:rolleyes:

deep could be raising a legitimate issue of whether the DUI plate law should apply to elected officials.

I would say yes.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
But then speeders and some elderly drivers should suffer the same humiliation, for they place lives in dangers as well.

Prehaps wreckless speeders should face a similar consequence (though some, in a perverse twist of reality, would consider it an accomplishment).

The elderly already face possible loss of license for reported cognitive impairment ("failing" a memory test).

well the law is useless for the powerful and privileged

as they will just have drivers
without the special plates

when most of the people elected Bush/Cheney in 2000
they were not aware of their total lapse in judgement as drunk drivers

W even went so far as to complain when his DUI was revealed
saying that he had it expunged
and therefore it did not happen
much like married people pay for annulments

Back
Top Bottom