How to deal with terrorists and how not to

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
How to deal with TERRORISM
----------------------------------------
The Palestinian hijack of Air France Flight 193 airliner is brought to an end at Entebbe Airport, Uganda by Operation Entebbe: Israeli commandos assault the building holding the hijackers and hostages; they kill "ALL" the Palestinian hijackers and free 105 mostly Israeli hostages; three passengers and one commando are killed

How not to deal with terrorism
----------------------------------------
Kashmiri militants hijack Indian Airlines Flight 814 and divert it to Kandahar. After a week-long stand-off India agrees to release three jailed Kashmiri militants in exchange for the hostages. 1 hostage stabbed dead and his body thrown on the tarmac as a "warning attack"

the released terrorists has already killed many times more civilians than 150 which the hijacked 814 flight originally had.

As i mentioned in postings before, governments who don't to refuse to be blackmailed are "dead meat" for the terrorists.
My favourite example of how to handle such an situation was the hijacking of the Lufthansa Airplane "Landshut" by the RAF.
The Chancelor decided to free these people and he was also prepared to resign (he had written his speach allready) because he didn't want to be a chancelor who was responsible for the dead of the innocent hostages.

As opposed to when the Brandt government staged a hijacking of a Lufthansa flight on a skeleton crew as a way to release terrorists without a real hijacking taking place. Germany's anti-terror operations of the 1960's and 1970's were shockingly poor (which led to the Black September group attacking at Munich). As soon as they successfully arrested hijackers they would either be released overnight, sentenced very leniently and would often hijack again or released as soon as the next hijacking occured. Not a shining track record in my book, but GSG-9 are awesome so today I think things would be done a lot differently.

A_Wanderer:
Right, in the 1960's - 1970's there was noone in germany who could defend terror, that's why the GSG-9 was modeled to a anti-terror special force.

My point was:
I like it if they do w hat's neccessary and don't negotiate with terrorists but also know that they are responsible if something goes wrong.
It's the lack of personal responsibility i disslike most in politics.

Back
Top Bottom