How To Deal With PETA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

A_Wanderer

ONE love, blood, life
A human inside an injured-chicken costume, hobbling in protest on the sidewalk Wednesday in front of a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant, didn’t achieve the desired effect, according to many who dined there.

Brad Steig called Wednesday’s protest in Grand Junction by the People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals good advertising for KFC.

The protest consisted of four adults and one child holding signs in front of the restaurant, handing out fliers and DVDs and urging people to not eat at KFC until the restaurant buys chickens from humane vendors.

Steig, a manager for Halliburton, said he heard about the PETA protest on the radio and decided right then to eat at KFC on Wednesday, the day of the protest.

Not only that, but he bought seven of the biggest buckets of chicken and all the side dishes and used four trips to load them into his Halliburton pickup to treat his co-workers.

“I detest that organization,” Steig said, adding PETA tries to harm the economy because of personal agendas.

Jim Shults dined at KFC with his wife, Deb, on Wednesday just because of the PETA protest, he said. Shults called his lunch a preemptive strike, he said.

“I’m going to kill chickens before they kill me with bird flu,” said Shults. He called PETA “People Eating Tasty Animals.”

When he heard about the protest, he decided “instantaneously this is where we were going to eat today,” he said.

Deb Shults ate chicken strips, and said, “I’m killing one of their pot pies.”
link

Did you get that!

a manager for Halliburton!
a manager for Halliburton!!
a manager for Halliburton!!!

Is there no end to the abuses that Halliburton and their stormtroopers inflict upon the world :wink:

Fellas, your cynicism knows no bounds, shame on you all. :wink:

The PETA protesters were simply trying to raise awareness about the grossly inhumane method of chicken farming engaged in by KFC's vendors. What's wrong with that?

I'm sorry that one dude was from Halliburton. As soon as certain types of people see that word, they lose their minds and forget what they were arguing about.

I think PETA is a great organization. Some of its members resort to hippie-era protest methods, which sometimes offend people rather than get them to listen (like that Halliburton douchebag), but their core messages are nothing but noble, I believe.

Sure, PETA would probably do better if they told all its members to get haircuts and bathe once in awhile, but perhaps one day its leadership will realize that image and the way an organization communicates with the masses, who are very busy just trying to live their day-to-day lives, matters.

Until then, I hope that some of the more macho contributors here will take the time to view the PETA website and watch some of the animal torture videos there to get an idea of the kinds of things PETA is trying to prevent.

http://www.peta.org/

If you still think animal cruelty is OK, then so be it.

Last edited:
oh-oh... I´m waiting for A_Wanderers bomb.

generally I agree with you 4U2Play I think PETAs methods are out of line, while, like you said, their motives may be noble.

How To Deal With PETA
the best way is to ignore them.

Their tactics are making them irrelevant.

Not every argument can be reduced to
"for or against."

Animal cruelty laws are good.

One extreme says “there should not be any”.

The other says, "pets are slavery."

btw, if the guy worked for Haliburton or had a Kerry/Edwards sticker on his car means nothing
except that it would get more play on a program like "Rush Limbaugh"

deep said:
btw, if the guy worked for Haliburton or had a Kerry/Edwards sticker on his car means nothing
except that it would get more play on a program like "Rush Limbaugh"

Exactly, so I wonder why the writer of the article chose to mention that guy's line of work.

The line of work is often mentioned in articles like that, so you get a sense of the type of person. It isn't common to name a company though.

PETA has an agenda that goes beyond simply advocating humane animal treatment - they go for animal rights rather than simple welfare, that is an affront good old anthropocentrism.

Their stances extend all the way to banning animal testing in scientific research, which is already subject to strict ethical guidelines and oversight.

I support animal welfare - but I put a human beings life over almost any other animal.I think that taking a non-violent stand to animal rights protestors is a good thing, a lot like the Eat an Animal of PETA Day.

Last edited:
4U2Play said:

The PETA protesters were simply trying to raise awareness about the grossly inhumane method of chicken farming engaged in by KFC's vendors. What's wrong with that?

I'm sorry that one dude was from Halliburton. As soon as certain types of people see that word, they lose their minds and forget what they were arguing about.

I think PETA is a great organization. Some of its members resort to hippie-era protest methods, which sometimes offend people rather than get them to listen (like that Halliburton douchebag), but their core messages are nothing but noble, I believe.

Sure, PETA would probably do better if they told all its members to get haircuts and bathe once in awhile, but perhaps one day its leadership will realize that image and the way an organization communicates with the masses, who are very busy just trying to live their day-to-day lives, matters.

Until then, I hope that some of the more macho contributors here will take the time to view the PETA website and watch some of the animal torture videos there to get an idea of the kinds of things PETA is trying to prevent.

This is the simplistic basis for supporting PETA that makes me laugh. But, it is the key to their business model.

An immeasurable percentage of the population would actually state "cruelty to animals is OK". PETA tries to sell itself as the leading organization that will stop cruelty to animals. Want to stop cruelty - donate money! It is televangelism for the animal rights crowd.

nbcrusader said:
This is the simplistic basis for supporting PETA that makes me laugh. But, it is the key to their business model.

An immeasurable percentage of the population would actually state "cruelty to animals is OK". PETA tries to sell itself as the leading organization that will stop cruelty to animals. Want to stop cruelty - donate money! It is televangelism for the animal rights crowd.

If that is the "simplistic basis" for supporting PETA, what is the real, complicated basis for supporting them?

Obviously, an "immeasurable" percentage of the population would actually state a lot of absurd things, wouldn't it. An immeasurable percentage of the population thinks the Earth is flat, so what?

PETA is one of many groups that tries to stop cruelty to animals, the Humane Society is another, I could go on.

I don't understand your criticism regarding money. All interest groups solicit donations, how else would they operate? Do you know anything about PETA's finances to warrant such a charge?

Comparing PETA to televangelists is hardly accurate.

Or is it? You've bought their message, so have many others. They collect dollars to save animals, televangelists collect dollars to save souls.

One can be against cruelty to animals without supporting such a ridiculous organization.

It's not the stopping animal cruelty, it is the harrassment and intimidation of researchers, it is the lies telling people that animal research has no relevence to human trials, it is the targeting of children and teens telling them that their parents are murderers or to stop eating dairy products, the campaigns that establish equivalence between things such as slavery and genocide with what is done to animals and the financial support given to terrorist groups like the ELF. So maybe televangelist is a poor comparison after all.

Bugger total animal liberation; I like meat, leather and modern medicine.

Last edited:
you guys seem to be a little indifferent to animal cruelty. forget PETA for a minute and whatever they may or may not be. does animal cruelty sicken you and do you rate it as something which requires high priority?

please respond without using PETA at all.

I am opposed to animal abuse, torture and some forms of exploitation (one can support a zoo but oppose dancing bears).

The RSPCA is a proper animal welfare group and not an animal rights group.

Last edited:
You can't flick a switch and make bad things cease. In Australia I think that having standards and practices is an important part of the livestock industry is a positive in quality and consumer confidence ~ I don't think that jumping on the outrage of the week is good, I really don't like it when malicious lies are spread to get public pressure against research ~ at least the religious opponents of stem cells are talking about a potential human life.

Overseas theres nothing much that anyone can do and I don't put a high rank on seeking out and ending animal abuse abroad.

But take an extreme measure like muesling, there you have to have a procedure that some would consider cruel as a preventative measure for something much worse.

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
you guys seem to be a little indifferent to animal cruelty. forget PETA for a minute and whatever they may or may not be. does animal cruelty sicken you and do you rate it as something which requires high priority?

Would it be a priority over any form of human suffering?

4U2Play said:

I'm with you all the way.

Closed for Cruelty!
After more than 10,000 demonstrations, coast-to-coast television ads and billboards, and a slew of letters from consumers and celebrities such as Pamela Anderson and Sir Paul McCartney, PETA is hearing from our dedicated activists nationwide that KFC stores are kicking the bucket. Regular protests at KFC restaurants in Palo Alto, San Francisco, and Long Beach, California; Washington, D.C.; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Eugene, Oregon; and New York, New York (where a KFC was closed down that—according to one KFC owner—once generated upwards of $30,000 per week) have caused KFCs to throw in the towel and close their doors for good.

It’s no wonder that people don’t want to eat at KFC anymore—with drugged-up chickens who suffer broken legs and have their throats slit or are scalded to death while still completely conscious, who can blame them? If KFC officials won’t listen to the countless kind people—including members of their own animal welfare panel—who have contacted them about the cruel treatment of chickens for their restaurants, perhaps they will listen to their shrinking wallets.

Let us know if a KFC you’ve been protesting has closed down.

Find out how you can help get KFC out of your city.

http://www.kfccruelty.com/index.asp

http://www.peta.org/feat/moorefield/page/eyewitness.pdf

http://www.peta.org/feat/moorefield/

Last edited:
Eliv8 said:
I'm with you all the way.
Closed for Cruelty!
After more than 10,000 demonstrations, etc.

Right on.

Thanks for the links. I think if more people realized how screwed up KFC's vendors were, they would refrain from supporting such a crap company.

Truth to power! (or some such trite hippie slogan)

Angela Harlem said:

Yes, it sickens me. As for its priority, I've done my best to adopt as many animals as I can afford to properly care for (4 cats at this time, a fifth one I rescued out of a tree as an abandoned 5 week old kitten and adopted out to someone else).

I've got an 8 week old kitten in my left hand right now. He's gnawing on my ear lobe and pulling at my glasses with his paws. Besides the fact that he's furry and weights about one pound, he doesn't act differently than the babies I babysit and he has the same needs and dependence on me as the babies I babysit.

I can't remember the last time I ate at a KFC and truthfully I didn't really need an excuse to never go there, but at least now I have one.

I might not agree with all of PETA's tactics but I think it's quite telling that many serial killers and murderers start out by abusing and killing animals.

All God's creatures great and small, and all that.

Yeah well...

hitler3.GIF

"I love animals, and especially dogs."
- Adolf Hitler. January 25, 1942.

As opposed to letting them fall into Soviet hands?

Regardless the point is that it is silly to imply that because serial killers abuse animals that PETA is right ~ likewise it is silly to argue that because Hitler liked dogs that all animal lovers are unequivocally wrong.

Although it is completely fair to say that people who intimidate researchers and vandalise private property are doing things the wrong way. Furthurmore the argument that an animals life is on par with that of a human being, or that we should imbue animals with rights (are they to be given responsibilities?) yields poor results if conducted consistently. I not only have a problem with their actions, the core principles of animal rights are antithetical to human civilization.

What are peoples stances in regards to animal testing and using animal skins for fashion, or that seal hunt up in Canada.

A_Wanderer said:

Regardless the point is that it is silly to imply that because serial killers abuse animals that PETA is right

I wasn't implying that at all, merely throwing that out there as something to think about. But thanks for calling me silly.

Perhaps I typed out of turn, if you didn't imply it then the point that you made isn't silly let alone you yourself.

Back
Top Bottom