How To Deal With PETA - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2006, 01:02 AM   #16
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:22 AM
thank you. and how highly do you rank the need for it to end?

Old 05-23-2006, 01:15 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:22 AM
You can't flick a switch and make bad things cease. In Australia I think that having standards and practices is an important part of the livestock industry is a positive in quality and consumer confidence ~ I don't think that jumping on the outrage of the week is good, I really don't like it when malicious lies are spread to get public pressure against research ~ at least the religious opponents of stem cells are talking about a potential human life.

Overseas theres nothing much that anyone can do and I don't put a high rank on seeking out and ending animal abuse abroad.

But take an extreme measure like muesling, there you have to have a procedure that some would consider cruel as a preventative measure for something much worse.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:24 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
you guys seem to be a little indifferent to animal cruelty. forget PETA for a minute and whatever they may or may not be. does animal cruelty sicken you and do you rate it as something which requires high priority?

please respond without using PETA at all.
Would it be a priority over any form of human suffering?
Old 05-23-2006, 01:25 AM   #19
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Local Time: 12:22 PM
you can have an intelligent idea, but if you don't express it in the right way it won't be respected
Old 05-23-2006, 09:03 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by 4U2Play
Fellas, your cynicism knows no bounds, shame on you all.

The PETA protesters were simply trying to raise awareness about the grossly inhumane method of chicken farming engaged in by KFC's vendors. What's wrong with that?

I'm sorry that one dude was from Halliburton. As soon as certain types of people see that word, they lose their minds and forget what they were arguing about.

I think PETA is a great organization. Some of its members resort to hippie-era protest methods, which sometimes offend people rather than get them to listen (like that Halliburton douchebag), but their core messages are nothing but noble, I believe.

Sure, PETA would probably do better if they told all its members to get haircuts and bathe once in awhile, but perhaps one day its leadership will realize that image and the way an organization communicates with the masses, who are very busy just trying to live their day-to-day lives, matters.

Until then, I hope that some of the more macho contributors here will take the time to view the PETA website and watch some of the animal torture videos there to get an idea of the kinds of things PETA is trying to prevent.

http://www.peta.org/

If you still think animal cruelty is OK, then so be it.
I'm with you all the way.

Closed for Cruelty!
After more than 10,000 demonstrations, coast-to-coast television ads and billboards, and a slew of letters from consumers and celebrities such as Pamela Anderson and Sir Paul McCartney, PETA is hearing from our dedicated activists nationwide that KFC stores are kicking the bucket. Regular protests at KFC restaurants in Palo Alto, San Francisco, and Long Beach, California; Washington, D.C.; Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania; Eugene, Oregon; and New York, New York (where a KFC was closed down that—according to one KFC owner—once generated upwards of $30,000 per week) have caused KFCs to throw in the towel and close their doors for good.

It’s no wonder that people don’t want to eat at KFC anymore—with drugged-up chickens who suffer broken legs and have their throats slit or are scalded to death while still completely conscious, who can blame them? If KFC officials won’t listen to the countless kind people—including members of their own animal welfare panel—who have contacted them about the cruel treatment of chickens for their restaurants, perhaps they will listen to their shrinking wallets.

Let us know if a KFC you’ve been protesting has closed down.

Find out how you can help get KFC out of your city.

http://www.kfccruelty.com/index.asp

http://www.peta.org/feat/moorefield/page/eyewitness.pdf

http://www.peta.org/feat/moorefield/
Old 05-23-2006, 09:25 PM   #21
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Eliv8
I'm with you all the way.
Closed for Cruelty!
After more than 10,000 demonstrations, etc.

Right on.

Thanks for the links. I think if more people realized how screwed up KFC's vendors were, they would refrain from supporting such a crap company.

Truth to power! (or some such trite hippie slogan)
Old 05-23-2006, 11:13 PM   #22
Jesus Online

Local Time: 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Would it be a priority over any form of human suffering?
I cant answer for you! Is it or not? Yes or no.

Old 05-24-2006, 01:18 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:

I cant answer for you! Is it or not? Yes or no.

Extra crispy please
Old 05-24-2006, 02:06 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
you guys seem to be a little indifferent to animal cruelty. forget PETA for a minute and whatever they may or may not be. does animal cruelty sicken you and do you rate it as something which requires high priority?

please respond without using PETA at all.
Yes, it sickens me. As for its priority, I've done my best to adopt as many animals as I can afford to properly care for (4 cats at this time, a fifth one I rescued out of a tree as an abandoned 5 week old kitten and adopted out to someone else).

I've got an 8 week old kitten in my left hand right now. He's gnawing on my ear lobe and pulling at my glasses with his paws. Besides the fact that he's furry and weights about one pound, he doesn't act differently than the babies I babysit and he has the same needs and dependence on me as the babies I babysit.

I can't remember the last time I ate at a KFC and truthfully I didn't really need an excuse to never go there, but at least now I have one.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

I might not agree with all of PETA's tactics but I think it's quite telling that many serial killers and murderers start out by abusing and killing animals.

All God's creatures great and small, and all that.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:13 AM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Yeah well...

"I love animals, and especially dogs."
- Adolf Hitler. January 25, 1942.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Yeah well...

"I love animals, and especially dogs."
- Adolf Hitler. January 25, 1942.
Nothing says love quite like poisening your own dog
Old 05-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

As opposed to letting them fall into Soviet hands?

Regardless the point is that it is silly to imply that because serial killers abuse animals that PETA is right ~ likewise it is silly to argue that because Hitler liked dogs that all animal lovers are unequivocally wrong.

Although it is completely fair to say that people who intimidate researchers and vandalise private property are doing things the wrong way. Furthurmore the argument that an animals life is on par with that of a human being, or that we should imbue animals with rights (are they to be given responsibilities?) yields poor results if conducted consistently. I not only have a problem with their actions, the core principles of animal rights are antithetical to human civilization.

What are peoples stances in regards to animal testing and using animal skins for fashion, or that seal hunt up in Canada.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

Regardless the point is that it is silly to imply that because serial killers abuse animals that PETA is right
I wasn't implying that at all, merely throwing that out there as something to think about. But thanks for calling me silly.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Perhaps I typed out of turn, if you didn't imply it then the point that you made isn't silly let alone you yourself.