How often do you eat meat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
A) Twice a day approx
B) Once a day approx
C) 3 times or 4 times a week
D) Once a week
E) Once/Twice a month
F) Once in 3-4 months
G) Once a year
H) Dont eat in recent years but have eaten meat
I) Never eaten meat

For me its F), I consider myself a non-vegetarian :)

put in closest answer

- AcrobatMan

I didn't eat meat for about 16 years until a year ago. Now I eat it a couple of times a week and I feel much, much better. I also sleep better and my bloodwork is better. Vegetarianism did not serve me well at all.

C

i respect vegetarianism from an environmental perspective. i don't think it's wrong, per say, for humans to eat animals. i do think that the conditions in which animals that are raised for meat can be appaling, and it's certainly more wasteful of resources to raise a cow -- what is it, 10 lbs of grain to raise 1 lb of beef?

that said, i tend to eat mostly chicken and fish, and do my best to get the free range stuff whenever possible.

but, i am weak. a big juicy burger or steak once in a while is divine.

i don't drink milk.

but that's because i've always thought it was gross.

though i do like 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee.

B - approx. once a day

Generally at lunch, which is my big meal of the day. (Although on the weekends, I tend to eat meat 2-3x per day.)

somewhere between B & C probably. I like to eat meat everyday if I can, it makes me feel better, but it's not always possible.

I don't see any problem with eating animals (except maybe veal or something, although that stuff tastes good :uhoh: ). There are other things in the world that concern me a lot more.

Of course if someone tried to eat my puppy it wouldn't be pretty. :wink:

VertigoGal said:
somewhere between B & C probably. I like to eat meat everyday if I can, it makes me feel better, but it's not always possible.

I don't see any problem with eating animals (except maybe veal or something, although that stuff tastes good :uhoh: ). There are other things in the world that concern me a lot more.

Of course if someone tried to eat my puppy it wouldn't be pretty. :wink:

How can you have concerns more important than your diet?
Note the route word of diet is DIE
And why not eat cats & dogs? Why is it OK to put a tortured animal on your plate but not OK to take your dog for a walk and kick him down the street?

Between B and C. There is at least 1 day a week I don't eat meat but the other days I usually have it at dinner time.

I eat a lot of fish though, sometimes several days a week. I'm not a huge fan of beef, but give me a bacon cheeseburger and I'll be singing a different tune.

Eliv8 said:

And why not eat cats & dogs? Why is it OK to put a tortured animal on your plate but not OK to take your dog for a walk and kick him down the street?

I don't understand how some vegetarians haven't realized yet that this method of browbeating people will never, ever convert anyone.

I have a VERY militant vegetarian cousin. Now I'm no huge lover of steak, but when she starts banging on about what I murdered today (even though she wears leather shoes), there is nothing I want to do more but to get myself a delicious filet mignon.

When you try to shove something down somebody's throat, remember that the physiological response is to throw it back up.

B for me. I respect vegetarians and understand their cause, but I like meat and that's what we buy here so ;) I wish I could go on a fish diet though. Just too bad it's expensive.

nbcrusader said:

What part of a hamburger is torture?

In the U.S., more than 41 million of these sensitive animals suffer and die for the meat and dairy industries every year.1 When they are still very young, cows are burned with hot irons (branding), their testicles are ripped out of their scrotums (castration), and their horns are cut or burned off—all without painkillers. Once they have grown big enough, they are sent to massive, muddy feedlots to be fattened for slaughter or to dairy farms, where they will be repeatedly impregnated and separated from their calves until their bodies give out and they are sent to die.

Cattle raised for beef are usually born in one state, fattened in another, and slaughtered in yet another. They are transported hundreds of miles in all weather extremes to the slaughterhouse. Many cows die on the way to slaughter, and those who survive are shot in the head with a bolt gun, hung up by their legs, and taken onto the killing floor, where their throats are cut and they are skinned. Some cows remain fully conscious throughout the entire process—according to one slaughterhouse worker, in an interview with the Washington Post, “they die piece by piece.”

Cattle raised for their flesh spend the first year of their lives grazing. In fact, they are the only farmed animals other than sheep who are ever allowed to do anything natural, like breathe fresh air or feel sun on their backs.

However, cattle are still subjected to abuses that would warrant felony cruelty-to-animals charges if they were dogs or cats. To mark cows for identification, ranchers restrain the animals and push hot fire irons into their flesh, causing third degree burns, as they bellow in pain and attempt to escape. Male calves’ testicles are ripped from their scrotums without pain relievers, and the horns of cows raised for beef are cut or burned off.

While “on the range,” most cows receive inadequate veterinary care, and as a result, many die from infection and injury. Every winter, cattle freeze to death in states like Montana, Nebraska, and North Dakota. And every summer, cows collapse from heat stroke in states like Texas and Arizona. After about a year of facing the elements, cows are shipped to an auction lot and then across hundreds of miles to massive feedlots—feces- and mud-filled holding pens where they are crammed together by the thousands. Many arrive crippled or dead from the journey.

Cattle on feedlots are fed a very unnatural diet to fatten them up. This diet causes chronic digestive pain—imagine your worst case of gastritis never going away—and some of their innards actually become ulcerated and eventually rupture (the industry calls this condition “bloat”). According to a study published in the Journal of Animal Science, this diet also causes potentially fatal liver abscesses in as many as 32 percent of cattle raised for beef.2

The feedlot air is saturated with ammonia, methane, and other noxious chemicals, which build up from the huge amounts of manure, and the cows are forced to inhale these gasses constantly. These fumes can give the cows chronic respiratory problems, making breathing painful.

Cattle raised for food are also pumped full of drugs to make them grow faster and keep them alive in these miserable conditions. Instead of taking sick cattle to see a veterinarian, many feedlot owners simply give the animals even higher doses of human-grade antibiotics in an attempt to keep them alive long enough to make it to the slaughterhouse.

anitram said:

I don't understand how some vegetarians haven't realized yet that this method of browbeating people will never, ever convert anyone.

I have a VERY militant vegetarian cousin. Now I'm no huge lover of steak, but when she starts banging on about what I murdered today (even though she wears leather shoes), there is nothing I want to do more but to get myself a delicious filet mignon.

When you try to shove something down somebody's throat, remember that the physiological response is to throw it back up.

It's not only vegetarians/vegans though. My brother always seems personally offended when someone else doesn't eat meat (or even doesn't eat a certain type of meat), and goes out of his way to try to gross them out. You can see it on his face when someone mentions he/she is a vegetarian or restricts their meat consumption in some way -- it's almost as if he's thinking of ways to force a slab of meat down their throats. It's very disgusting.

And the weirdest thing is he has things in his life many other people don't like (for instance he's a gun freak and thinks not only should they be legal they should be mandatory :rolleyes: ) and he wants them to respect his views, but he won't respect another's choice not to eat meat.

I think it's insecurity or guilt.

Eliv8: Yes I saw a repport about that ! Well two. One about fast foods, McDonald especialy, and another one about the kind of food we found in grocery stores and how chickens were treated. They Supermaket Secrets I think it was called. It was a British show. They showed how the chickens were living in their own pee, sometimes sitting in it because they grew so fast with the food they were fed with that their legs couldn't support their own weight. Some dead chickens were just lying and rotting in the corners while the others were walking (or trying to) ! Same thing with the ducks. Since I saw that, I never eat fast food anymore.

Talking about that :
Many cows die on the way to slaughter, and those who survive are shot in the head with a bolt gun, hung up by their legs, and taken onto the killing floor, where their throats are cut and they are skinned. Some cows remain fully conscious throughout the entire process—according to one slaughterhouse worker, in an interview with the Washington Post, “they die piece by piece.”
In a video I've watched, the cow wasn't dead ! It was horrible... they didn't kill it and it was hanging upside down being cut alive ! It was terrible. That beef was one that would be sent to the McDonald company for making burgers, as many others.
For chickens, they are just hanged up and get their head cut by a kind of machine, one after the others, when the time come.

Horrible industry that we have, I agree.

Back
Top Bottom