How often do you eat meat - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2006, 03:43 PM   #46
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by indra

It's not only vegetarians/vegans though. My brother always seems personally offended when someone else doesn't eat meat (or even doesn't eat a certain type of meat), and goes out of his way to try to gross them out. You can see it on his face when someone mentions he/she is a vegetarian or restricts their meat consumption in some way -- it's almost as if he's thinking of ways to force a slab of meat down their throats. It's very disgusting.

this is totally true. i find the lack of respect for vegetarianism much more offensive than the stereotypical militant vegetarian. it can be really rather nasty -- you must understand that the vegetarian is genuinely appalled by the idea of eating dead flesh, and that waving a hamburger in their face or teases them by loudly gorging on a steak might be consdered as offensive as using racials slurs.

Old 01-06-2006, 03:58 PM   #47
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

this is totally true. i find the lack of respect for vegetarianism much more offensive than the stereotypical militant vegetarian. it can be really rather nasty -- you must understand that the vegetarian is genuinely appalled by the idea of eating dead flesh, and that waving a hamburger in their face or teases them by loudly gorging on a steak might be consdered as offensive as using racials slurs.
It never worked with me since I was never grossed out by eating meat nor did I ever think it was wrong; I just didn't have a taste for it. When my body started needing it, I started craving it.

But you're right, I had this experience countless times. I think it's because meat eaters were assuming that I was silently judging them for eating meat, which was never the case.

Old 01-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Breast cancer or mice dying?
I hear you.

And I think it is perfectly natural for each life form to feed on the one below it. We don't eat animals that are our pets because we feel a kinship with them. I personally don't feel a kinship with chickens, cows and mice, though I was raised on a farm with cows and my grandparents had chickens. Some cultures don't feel a kinship with dogs so they eat them.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:07 PM   #49
Refugee

Local Time: 12:19 AM
Re: How often do you eat meat

Quote:
Originally posted by AcrobatMan
A) Twice a day approx
B) Once a day approx
C) 3 times or 4 times a week
D) Once a week
E) Once/Twice a month
F) Once in 3-4 months
G) Once a year
H) Dont eat in recent years but have eaten meat
I) Never eaten meat

For me its F), I consider myself a non-vegetarian

put in closest answer

- AcrobatMan
yousound pretty proud of yourself

my answer is C

my son would like all of us to get tottally off meat....
they use grade D meat at mcdonalds...ya know?
its the lowest quality meat that humans can consume
the probably pay very little for it..and that how they make all thier money...

someone research the grade d meat please and get back to me at this post...thanks

- carrie
Old 01-06-2006, 04:08 PM   #50
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

You don't want to know then how many lab mice have died at my hand doing in vivo experiments for cancer research.

But people fail to understand something - the guidelines for research mean that you MUST have an in vivo system way before they will let you test on humans. So people start with mice. After that they move to dogs or monkeys as the preferable system. IF it works, human tests.

Breast cancer or mice dying?

As I noted in my other comments I do not condemn people who eat meat. Nor do I condemn medical researchers. I do believe, however, that people should be aware of what is required to bring their meat to the table (or various medicines and medical treatments to them).

Most people can function very well on a diet without, or with very little meat. And most people in the US could do better healthwise with a mere fraction of the meat they now consume. Snarfing down a steak because you like the taste is a lot different than getting treatment for breast cancer.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #51
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ImOuttaControl
How much meat do I eat?

I would have to say I'm an A+++

I loooove eating meat. I could sit down with a 2 pound steak and go to town. mmmm

Anyway, I eat meat at every meal--then I usually have a meat stick as a snack. I hunt/fish so I eat a lot of venison and fish. I make my own venison jerky, meatsticks, sausage...ect.
haha at meat stick as a snack....makes me think of those meat skewer things ya get on the pupu platter at chinese joints
Old 01-06-2006, 04:11 PM   #52
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:19 PM
Quote:
Snarfing down a steak because you like the taste is a lot different than getting treatment for breast cancer.
It is, but it isn't. You have to kill an animal for both. Regardless of what you use it for, the animal is still dead. I don't see how a person could be so against one, and okay with the other.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #53
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
Jerks will be jerks, but you can't really equate a lifestyle preference with something like race.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:22 PM   #54
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Most people can function very well on a diet without, or with very little meat.
Well, my nutritionist said he has never seen a healthy long term vegetarian over 40. I was the classic example; he says he sees it everyday.

Of course if you're already 40ish and have been eating a lot of meat for a long time you could experience many health improvements from eliminating or cutting back meat.

For me it's about balance.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:28 PM   #55
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl
Everyone's different and do you really think it's cool to be lecturing people ("And why not eat cats & dogs? Why is it OK to put a tortured animal on your plate but not OK to take your dog for a walk and kick him down the street?") about meat when you've only been without it for 4 months?
I am not 'lecturing' - Just contributing to the thread. If I have been vegetarian for 4 months or 4 years it shouldn’t make any difference.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:37 PM   #56
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by carrieluvv

haha at meat stick as a snack....makes me think of those meat skewer things ya get on the pupu platter at chinese joints

oh my god ive just watched that meet your meat...and now i dont think that is funny anymore.

im sickened by what i saw .

cruelty , torture- that was just sick
that really bothered me
Old 01-06-2006, 04:44 PM   #57
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 08:19 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Eliv8

Way of life/Way of death. Dont they pretty much boil down to the same thing?
Nice try. You can't change the etymology of a word simply because you disagree with something as a way of life.

I was a vegan for 7 years. I was anemic for 7 years. I had a dietitian. I ate a balanced veggie diet and I was still sickly. Not everyone is the same and not everyone can enjoy good health on a vegan diet.

I got more grief over being a vegetarian then anything else in my life so far. Why? Because some people spend so much of their time trying to shove vegetables and animal rights down other's throats. And I never tried to convert anyone. Explain your point of view, then live and let live. You can't guilt trip anyone into believing in something. You only piss them off and lose their interest.

And to answer the orginal question, I eat meat about two to three times a week.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #58
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by carrieluvv

oh my god ive just watched that meet your meat...and now i dont think that is funny anymore.

im sickened by what i saw .

cruelty , torture- that was just sick
that really bothered me
It is not pleasant I know but more people should actually watch it.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:45 PM   #59
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Eliv8

I am not 'lecturing' - Just contributing to the thread. If I have been vegetarian for 4 months or 4 years it shouldn’t make any difference.
Ok, sorry. I just found your comment a bit too strong, like someone who has just quit smoking who suddenly has no tolerance for those who still do. Perhaps I am guilty of the same thing at times.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:47 PM   #60
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl

Ok, sorry. I just found your comment a bit too strong, like someone who has just quit smoking who suddenly has no tolerance for those who still do. Perhaps I am guilty of the same thing at times.
NP - Funny though - I just quit smoking since the first.
Also, I have no problem with people eating meat or smoking but I feel they should be made aware of what they are consuming. Then the choice is up to them.