How much of The Bible have you read? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:59 AM
How much of The Bible have you read?

i've basically read genesis and half of exodus in a new living translation of The Bible, I was converted last november when I met a guy in a supermarket were i worked who was studying divinity and I tried to catch him out but he had all the answers! I havent read any since a couple of months ago due to exams which i get real stressed out about! anyway hows your Bible reading going and hows your relationship with God if you have one?

Old 05-25-2004, 06:24 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:59 AM
I've read through the Bible at least three or four times (using a one-year bible).

Starting from Genesis and reading all the way through can be difficult. Large amounts of law, history, poetry, wisdom and prophecy in a sitting can be hard to digest.

I would suggest starting with the Gospel of John. It is a much easier way to get a grasp on the basic truths of the faith.

Old 05-25-2004, 06:28 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:59 AM
I have some questions but I'll post in Goal is soul sometime.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:10 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Most or all of it, only KJV and NIV. I've ever read through it start to finish, but I've gone to a Christian school since I was 3 and took Sunday School for 6 years and Catechism for 8 years so I'm sure we've pretty much covered all that's worth covering.

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
I have some questions but I'll post in Goal is soul sometime.
The mods are cracking down and general religion topics are no longer allowed in TGIS. They have to be related to Bono/U2. It's my understanding that we're suppose to keep religious topics not related to U2 here in FYM.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:24 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

The mods are cracking down and general religion topics are no longer allowed in TGIS. They have to be related to Bono/U2. It's my understanding that we're suppose to keep religious topics not related to U2 here in FYM.

But I thought that's what it was for? Oh well, I didn't know. Thanks for telling me.
Old 05-25-2004, 10:24 PM   #6
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LivLuvAndBootlegMusic

Correct.

As for me...I've basically only read some of Psalms.

Bonochick [at] interference.com
Old 05-25-2004, 10:40 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 12:59 AM
Probably less than Bono has . Genesis to half of the Psalms, Proverbs, the books that are like 1-3 chapters long, all of the New Testament sans Revelation, which I haven't read all the way through.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:02 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

I think I probably read most if not all of it, but never in one sitting.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:06 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

I've read all the important stories. I've tried a couple times to read it start to finish but only got as far as Proverbs. As well I've read all of the New Testament with the possible exception of the very minor books such as Jude and Titus.
Old 05-25-2004, 11:53 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten

But I thought that's what it was for? Oh well, I didn't know. Thanks for telling me.
I think some people came off as too preachy or some toes were stepped on b/c the discussions there were pretty much limited to Christianity and no other religions so the mods would like to keep it a U2-related forum and all other religious discussion of any kind should stay in FYM. Personally, I think it would be nice to have a "religion" forum where we could ask more specific questions about specific religions, religious practices, religious texts, etc since things move in and out of FYM very quickly and a lot of the discussion doesn't develop the way it did in TGIS, but it's true there are already a LOT of forums and sub-forums.

Anyway, that was rather off-topic
Old 05-25-2004, 11:59 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:59 AM
I've read a considerable amount here and there. I would suggest reading through Romans to get an idea of the Bible.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:36 AM   #12
War Child

Local Time: 09:59 AM
It's hard for me to say because I follow study guides and daily readings which use different sections of text each time. So I haven't rwad much in a logical progression. I've read most of the gospels, as well as Joel (a very short prophecy!), Ruth and Esther off the top of my head. I tried to sit down once and read Revelation, but I got a bit mired in all the detail. I guess I'm used to having an explanation through my study guides.
Old 05-26-2004, 03:47 AM   #13
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:59 PM
I read 'In the beginning...' and got bored.

Old 05-26-2004, 04:46 AM   #14
you are what you is

I got some kind of youth bible from my godmother (who is a nun) for my first communion
I did read that one

I heard the most common passages in mass etc

I don't really think I'll ever read the bible
I don't doubt there would be some virtue in me thinking about certain things that can be found in it, but I sort of reckon that you will face the most important questions at some point in life anyway
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 05-26-2004, 04:52 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I guess I read some of it when I still went to church (about 10 years ago). Then I turned my back on religion and never touched a bible again.

I did see Life of Brian though!